Today's flight in 2019

bonal

Nice little flight along the coast to see if I had eliminated the static in the intercom that showed up after I installed the transponder. It was a beautiful flight and the static was almost completely gone. It is as quiet as before and I think as good as it is going to get until I decide to run shielded wires (when it was installed a looong time ago they didn't use shielded wiring.)

https://intothesky.us/2019/06/01/the-coast-for-fun/

20190601_175131.thumb.jpg.c130aecfcd43f684812c086e356e2415.jpg20190601_180147.thumb.jpg.0355f1679daa4eb4875bbed324f15f80.jpg20190601_182506.thumb.jpg.c2b3612156a8e6d66cc872a5b7190350.jpg

• Like 10

Yesterday's flight makes three in almost as many days trip to meet family to celebrate a belated Mother's Day at LVK. There was some cross winds at 90 degrees gusting to 12 and I might have caught a gust but lost all lift a few feet above the runway and the bottom fell out. Ugh. Prior to that as we entered the 45 CT advised that a P51 was departing and making a cross wind turn that put him right to left low in front of us. If I had 50's in the wing I could have rolled left and been right on his six. As we headed for home there was some convective build up over the east side of the lake again this is so unusual for this time of year. Not near as much bumping as I expected and second landing was much better.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Much better on Sunday.   No bounced landings.   There was some equipment on the very extended threshold of Herene so just skipped that airport.   Winds were weird.   taking off 34 for summer is strange.  Further north we were using 16.

Best part was making the turn off before the little C140 used.    had to do a 360 on final since I did not figure there was anyway he would go that long.

No video of that.

• Like 3

The weekend before Memorial Day, we had to taxi long before heading over the Wilson Air at KCHA due to some heavy metal. They were giving rides in it as well as the Mustang in the background and the Liberator (not in the picture).

Fifi.jpg

• Like 6

This weekend, made a quick trip down to Lakeland to meet with the company doing the next thing to the new house - pool. Beautiful flight down for this one exception, which I first saw about 130 nm away. ATC started moving me about 50 nm from it, and was glad they did.

KLAL-5-31.jpg

KLAL-5-31_2.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My pops caught dozing off on the short hop from GPM to 00R (Livingston, TX)

**edit -- photo in Livingston just prior to my left main going flat while taxiing onto runway after run up (at the furthest point from the ramp possible)

49BD8761-B909-4BB0-B672-558050AEB48F.jpeg

F3FB428E-7D85-4388-8972-6D4008997D1B.jpeg

livingston.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Went to CRQ for Father’s Day weekend and shot the ILS behind our very own @kortopates providing instruction to some lucky Mooney pilot.

Little Dude said he finally approves of his in-flight entertainment and snack options

D2E4C9C6-8E50-4900-AE6A-0BDE4C151A54.jpeg

Those are nice sunshades, what kind are they?  

Without any wifi or internet, the electronics lose interest with my son pretty quick. So much easier to entertain him when he was 8 and not 13.

2 hours ago, milotron said:

Those are nice sunshades, what kind are they?  

Without any wifi or internet, the electronics lose interest with my son pretty quick. So much easier to entertain him when he was 8 and not 13.

Bruce’s Custom Covers. I resisted because I thought they were overpriced but they’re awesome. With enough time and talent you could make you’re own but I’m happy with these.

Went to CRQ for Father’s Day weekend and shot the ILS behind our very own [mention=7862]kortopates[/mention] providing instruction to some lucky Mooney pilot.
Little Dude said he finally approves of his in-flight entertainment and snack options

Indeed, we were being vectored on from the south and then I heard him call out traffic to a much faster mover to the north. Then when I heard him tell you to alter heading for the traffic I recognized your voice and checked the full call sign on my Ads-b traffic and sure enough it was you. Approach asked us to keep our speed up for you. I checked again and you had 60 kts on us! Meanwhile I am telling my client he just has to keep our speed up till CIDRU, then slow to normal approach speed. We were in a J model - no match for the fire breathing 310HP Ovation on our tail!
Meanwhile my client did an excellent job on the approach till we went missed into the IMC layer for our next one at Oceanside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Indeed, we were being vectored on from the south and then I heard him call out traffic to a much faster mover to the north. Then when I heard him tell you to alter heading for the traffic I recognized your voice and checked the full call sign on my Ads-b traffic and sure enough it was you. Approach asked us to keep our speed up for you. I checked again and you had 60 kts on us! Meanwhile I am telling my client he just has to keep our speed up till CIDRU, then slow to normal approach speed. We were in a J model - no match for the fire breathing 310HP Ovation on our tail!
Meanwhile my client did an excellent job on the approach till we went missed into the IMC layer for our next one at Oceanside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it didn't make a lot of sense to me to vector the slower plane in front of the faster one, then tell the slow one to speed up and the fast one to slow down. I guess they both show up as M20P so if she wasn't paying attention to the groundspeed it would have been an easy mistake to make.

Sounds like some good experience building. Definitely a good day to shoot approaches. Overcast all along the coast.

Speaking of good experiences, I need to get night current again. I'll let you know next time I'm headed down...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Yeah, it didn't make a lot of sense to me to vector the slower plane in front of the faster one, then tell the slow one to speed up and the fast one to slow down. I guess they both show up as M20P so if she wasn't paying attention to the groundspeed it would have been an easy mistake to make.

Sounds like some good experience building. Definitely a good day to shoot approaches. Overcast all along the coast.

Speaking of good experiences, I need to get night current again. I'll let you know next time I'm headed down...

Yep, Sunday and today look like mostly overcast days for logging IMC.

Be my pleasure next time you're down.

16 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Bruce’s Custom Covers. I resisted because I thought they were overpriced but they’re awesome. With enough time and talent you could make you’re own but I’m happy with these.

They are awesome.  I was stunned how cool they kept the inside of the cabin on hot sunny days

Bucket List Flight today

Beautiful morning with maybe the best opportunity for flying while we're here in NC so we flew out to First Flight. Fairly smooth, hazy flight but the winds do swirl around a little coming in final over the beach to 21. Once you drop below the treeline it changes again, but wow, how cool to land there. I get emotional about some things but must say I was a little surprised at the level of emotion I felt being up there on top of the hill. There may or may not have been a few tears shed.

We back taxied on 21 along with two other planes departing and my wife snapped a great picture as we lined on 21 and waited for the Cessna ahead of us to depart. If you look close you can see the monument in the background.

20190617_094600.thumb.jpg.fbc60ed799518a095ed978021897d879.jpg20190617_105327.thumb.jpg.87a410bb177c7fd142f851ae2bccae5a.jpg20190617_105205.thumb.jpg.498c6838b586772533dbb86c4fbd7555.jpg20190617_123125.thumb.jpg.c55314532f6c2b3475ef8c75b89e3c08.jpg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Bucket List Flight today

20190617_105327.thumb.jpg.87a410bb177c7fd142f851ae2bccae5a.jpg20190617_105205.thumb.jpg.498c6838b586772533dbb86c4fbd7555.jpg

Nice!

Its on my Bucket list too - and I will go within a month with my middle son who is an aero major college student.

What did you do for ground transportation from the airport to the site?

E

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Nice!

Its on my Bucket list too - and I will go within a month with my middle son who is an aero major college student.

What did you do for ground transportation from the airport to the site?

E

We walked. Call it 15 minutes. In July when I was there, we called it Hot!! Don't walk to DQ, it's even further . . . . But AOPA has an air conditioned flight planning room at the airport. 

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

We walked. Call it 15 minutes. In July when I was there, we called it Hot!! Don't walk to DQ, it's even further . . . . But AOPA has an air conditioned flight planning room at the airport. 

Aha - its that close?

Uh - oh - looks like I will be going in the HOT season.  Not to mention - a far northerner such as my self - I am not sure if I will be able to walk that far in the sun without melting.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Aha - its that close?

Uh - oh - looks like I will be going in the HOT season.  Not to mention - a far northerner such as my self - I am not sure if I will be able to walk that far in the sun without melting.

It's not just the sun, it's the sun and humidity . . . . After all, it's the beach!

• Like 2

First Flight...

The town is a bit of a walk... but anyone with 50 bicycles in their garage should be able to handle it pretty well... :)

Me and two other not-so-athletic people walked into town to find something to eat... 

This was a stop-over on the way down to SnF...  nearest fuel was the next airport south...   really strong winds that day my ground speed on final was close to 10kts....

Funky memories...

-a-

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

First Flight...

The town is a bit of a walk... but anyone with 50 bicycles in their garage should be able to handle it pretty well... :)

Me and two other not-so-athletic people walked into town to find something to eat... 

This was a stop-over on the way down to SnF...  nearest fuel was the next airport south...   really strong winds that day my ground speed on final was close to 10kts....

Funky memories...

-a-

The trouble I had walking to town was heat exhaustion; my legs and feet held up nicely. April would have been much better walking conditions. Our friend from upstate NY, who measures annual snowfall in feet, and duration of white groundcover in months, may be bothered more than I was, although I had been in milder Northern weather for ~10 years when I visited and had lost much of my acclimation.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hank said:

The trouble I had walking to town was heat exhaustion; my legs and feet held up nicely. April would have been much better walking conditions. Our friend from upstate NY, who measures annual snowfall in feet, and duration of white groundcover in months, may be bothered more than I was, although I had been in milder Northern weather for ~10 years when I visited and had lost much of my acclimation.

I KNOW!  If I were smarter I would be doing this trip in November.  But my son, the aeronatical engineering major is doing an internship this summer at NASA in Langley, VA, so the opportunity is perfect to pop in on him there, and then from there it is very close to KFFA, with him of course. 

I think since it is close enough we will walk to the museum but not bother with the town.  On a hot tarmac it can be a melting experience to get bicycles in and out.  Besides my son is also on the Cornell cycling team.  He kicks my butt.  Even though once upon a time I was on my college cycling team, and I was a good student...he is the new improved version: Bollt 2.0.

Even though I have a bunch of bicycles in the garage.  Anthony it is an exaggeration to say 50 bicycles.  I would say more like 20.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Beautiful morning with maybe the best opportunity for flying while we're here in NC so we flew out to First Flight.

The very best way to visit that monument!