Today's flight in 2019

bonal

OK, so it wasn't today's flight, but rather Thursday.  You'll have to forgive me for that as I've been a bit busy and preoccupied.

First up is a picture of my house... I always wanted to live on a private island, but this wasn't quite what I had in mind!

IMG_0830.jpg.3d7ae9b87134a98349765fed7e24d08d.jpg 

... and here is a picture of our factory.

IMG_0839.jpg.9dc34f039f41af5604cd9a509919dd55.jpg

And last... our downtown area.

IMG_0844.jpg.a41649249743b2363d00555298656d0c.jpg

OK, it's not flying related, but this was the result of our day 1 preparation efforts.  There are about 5,000 sandbags in this picture.  By the end of the week, the team I led filled and placed around 8,000 bags to keep all the homes and businesses dry.

IMG_0812.jpg.de483beb612af132ddf806364f9f747e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

Took a turn around white face mtn today in a slow-as-she’ll go sight seeing flight.  White face site of the 1980 Olympic downhill ski at lake placid.  And that twisty road is one tough bike ride I’ve done with my son a few times.  Looks flatter from above than looking up on a bike.

There is a very cool tower hotel at the top.

IMG_4067.JPG

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, warren.huisman said:

A little formation practice. Flew formation with a buddies 182. 9bb1efc45ead7a732635fb07d6037ac9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's embarrassing.  Not only are his gear hanging out (not even a 182RG?!) but he doesn't even have wheel farings?  What the heck is that thing doing in front of you?!!!  To honor the Mooney speed legacy, please tell me you took this picture as you blew past.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

That's embarrassing.  Not only are his gear hanging out (not even a 182RG?!) but he doesn't even have wheel farings?  What the heck is that thing doing in front of you?!!!  To honor the Mooney speed legacy, please tell me you took this picture as you blew past us./

I was only practicing a bit until I in fact did blow past him.   He has not had any formation training so the most I could hope for was him to fly straight and level until I tired of flying slowly!

• Like 3

Just now, warren.huisman said:

I was only practicing a bit until I in fact did blow past him.   He has not had any formation training so the most I could hope for was him to fly straight and level until I tired of flying slowly!

Ok, ok, honor preserved.  But maybe next time better not take a picture of such possibly incriminating evidence that looks like a dirty old high wing cezzna with wheels hanging out seemingly had passed you!

• Like 1

This weekend was a trip to Miami (KOPF) from Erie, PA (KERI).   It was a beautiful weekend for flying.    There were great sights on the ramps at both places,  the old  Cherokee lives in Erie, but this is the first time that I have seen it.    The C-17 and C-172 are on the ramp in Opa-locka.   There was an air show in Miami and I looked as if many of the planes were staged at KOPF.   

DEE2F79C-ED59-4676-9BFF-42F97F01FCB8.thumb.jpeg.43dd594e3f9932cabf542a25907b50ed.jpeg

A5CB4473-C779-4E98-93A6-B5983A68C852.thumb.jpeg.13debc53929b398135cb95c356aa1b39.jpeg

973575BD-A7B5-431A-9456-16055D7382F3.thumb.jpeg.553cbe454b93aaf0425bc90465af6521.jpeg

bradb

2006 Meridian N951TB

former Acclaim 

034069CA-75CD-401F-B0AE-C2B8DE7A2B85.jpeg

Edited by BradB
  • Like 2

I had to take AL up for a spin.   Winds gusting to 24.  Little AL was getting blown all over the sky and the wing leveler was getting a workout.   Funny enough it was smoother than the Boston Whaler on the lake a couple days ago.   First landing was acceptable.  Bounced the second one.  came in a little hot.   Thought for a second about going around then just thought I could land it like pilots are supposed to.  Then it all came together.   Not pretty.  Have not bounced one on a long time.  No cameras involved, no sheet metal bent.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I had to take AL up for a spin.   Winds gusting to 24.  Little AL was getting blown all over the sky and the wing leveler was getting a workout.   Funny enough it was smoother than the Boston Whaler on the lake a couple days ago.   First landing was acceptable.  Bounced the second one.  came in a little hot.   Thought for a second about going around then just thought I could land it like pilots are supposed to.  Then it all came together.   Not pretty.  Have not bounced one on a long time.  No cameras involved, no sheet metal bent.

If there were no cameras, it didn’t happen. Sounds like two perfect landings.....:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Yetti said:

At first, I thought this was Andrew posting from London. His J is also AL, as in "G-OBAL."

At least you're flying, something I've done precious little of since going in for annual in January . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Sad 1

Memorial Day flight. Yes, heavy spider webs on the prop (see prior post) since I hadn't flown her for, what, 6 weeks? Anyway, started right up and flew like the beautiful bird she is. This is the bayous and waterways at the (GOM) coast near KBPT. She even lowered the step for me meaning that she approved of the landing :rolleyes:362576034_MemorialDayFlying5-27-2019.thumb.jpg.3d38c72eb038831cd441a804ecaf7e29.jpg

• Like 4

On May 27, 2019 at 8:58 AM, HRM said:

Flew today and realized I really need to get in the air more often...

You and me both my friend. Flew to STS yesterday and definitely had some rust showing on the old PIC. Nothing major and much to be happy about but it's a good thing Snoopy flys better than its pilot. Hopefully these unusual weather systems will stop. Strong convective activity expected for Thursday in our area. Very strange for this time of year.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bonal said:

it's a good thing Snoopy flys better than its pilot

I say the same about The Mistress (N5976Q). It is just uncanny to me how an airplane 'knows how to fly' and corrects the ignorance of her pilot. Good times!

Again today she put the step down for me, that's how I know she approved of my landing :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

I thought it was and I wondered how he managed to fly my plane.  

It was Christmas dinner and my uncle asked what the name of the plane was and I said "AL" in honor of Al Mooney.   Besides you probably don't bounce your landings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flew to empty the leaking tank do reasearvh level at which the leaking starts. Last time I filled to 20 gallons and saw a drip.  15 gallons this time didn’t show a drip. Photos taken by airport owner who was mowing along runway   (25 minutes from low fuel warning light til empty at 65% power.

E8652B2E-632A-43C8-9ABA-72A24D7F8E24.jpeg

4BB63F6E-4D7D-4471-BB83-0C0B88067B47.jpeg

6C0C25E1-87C2-451E-B4E0-9A83E8A9F2AF.jpeg

• Like 9

Took my CFI down to o69 so he could ferry a very nice 1970 E back to 1o2 for service. Definitely made a difference having just flown a few days ago much less rust on the PIC. After we turned off the runway his only comment was nicely done. Was definitely a more challenging flight as he (being an) instructor made sure there were plenty of questions asked of me about lots of different requirements of flying. I think he likes to keep me a little distracted to see how I perform throughout the entire trip. As always Snoopy performed beautifully. It took a bit of effort to get there  but our little Mooney is about as reliable an airplane as one could hope for.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bonal said:

Took my CFI down to o69 so he could ferry a very nice 1970 E back to 1o2 for service. 

Would you mind sharing which CFI you fly with out of Lampson? I did all of my primary training over in Ukiah, and have done a little work towards my instrument rating while down in the Bay Area for work, but have never run into a CFI while at Lampson. I’m sure there are some lurking around here somewhere. It’d be nice to have a local option.

3 hours ago, bdash said:

Would you mind sharing which CFI you fly with out of Lampson? I did all of my primary training over in Ukiah, and have done a little work towards my instrument rating while down in the Bay Area for work, but have never run into a CFI while at Lampson. I’m sure there are some lurking around here somewhere. It’d be nice to have a local option.

PM me with your email and I will forward to him what are you looking for instruction on so I can advise him on what you looking to do.