Today's flight in 2019

bonal

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I must admit it is a VERY useful way of travelling short distances.  Hop in, fire up, go and land literally outside the door of where you are going.  Very expensive to operate though.  The thing i did love was the way that the landing fee at the local airport where we went sfterwards charged 5 quid microlight, 10 quid fixed wing, 20 quid helicopter.  Even though heli chopper used no facilities whatsoever except a spot of grass!  I think they though, oh he can afford it, :)  

This week I took my youngest son on college choosing tours in a "Southern campaign".  We did William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA) and Duke and University of North Carolina (Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill).  Flying from Williamsburg, KJGG to KTTA (40 min drive from Duke) I heard on the radio a helicopter get clearance to land at Duke.   Which was out next stop.  I figured, gee how convenient that is!  And we stayed at a hotel right across the street from that helipad.  Helicopters were coming and going fast enough that in the short time I was there I saw several come and go.  Only that's not a helicopter ride you want to take, because those were medical lift helicopters landing on top of the hospital.

Generally I have come to choose the slightly further out airports rather than the big city airport for money AND time reasons.  RDU is 20 min closer by car to our first destination, Duke, vs KTTA which is Raleigh-Executive which is a fair bit further out (40 min).  But all in all, besides the fact that the fuel is much cheaper, ($5.19 vs $7.09) I don't even feel like I save time going to the big and closer airport.  Since at the big airport there is a lot more time spent taxiing around, waiting your turn to depart behind big jets, waiting to pick up your clearance, waiting your turn land, sequencing behind the big guys, not to mention some added stress of wake turbulence.  So for 20 minutes savings, it seems to get almost all eaten up in those extra ground operations, etc. Maybe not all 20 min but at least 10 min extra.  Then for 10 min only saved in actuality, and I need a top off for the 3 hrs flight home, that extra $2 per gallon savings is nice.

Good fun college trip.  Good dad-son time and we bought several t-shirts.  A few more such trips to go.  In between all the SAT's.

• Like 4

After landing last time the tower told me my transponder had dropped out on short final. Had it checked and everything looked good, strong signal, everything. AP/IA said to go fly it and ask ATC to keep an eye on it so after work I took her up. Asked for closed traffic and an extended downwind, told tower we were trouble shooting a transponder issue and if he could keep an eye on me to see if it dropped out. Landed and all looked good so went for a longer flight and it was beautiful.

20190418_190148.thumb.jpg.acc806cbfeacfee4d4760a619691245b.jpg20190418_190321.thumb.jpg.82882a4db28e99633c8799a5d2a1209b.jpg

The only thing better than the flight was my landing and I taxied back and put the plane away. Then it got sad, and a sobering reminder of the risks involved in this hobby. As I was driving away from my hangar I heard a plane getting ready to depart so I stopped and rolled down the window to watch. It was a twin (Duke) and I watched as he rolled down the runway and lifted off, then rolled up my window and started to pull away when I caught the fireball out of the corner of my eye. It took a couple of seconds for my mind to process what I was seeing. Impact was only about 1,600' from where he started his takeoff roll, just to the left of the runway on the taxiway.

This one hits a bit too close to home. I called my wife immediately to let her know I was okay. My prayers go out to the family who just lost a loved one. I am not going to speculate on what happened here, and in no way am I saying that this pilot was not vigilant and on his A game, maybe he was and maybe there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. But, it is a reminder to me that I can never let myself get complacent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

After landing last time the tower told me my transponder had dropped out on short final. Had it checked and everything looked good, strong signal, everything. AP/IA said to go fly it and ask ATC to keep an eye on it so after work I took her up. Asked for closed traffic and an extended downwind, told tower we were trouble shooting a transponder issue and if he could keep an eye on me to see if it dropped out. Landed and all looked good so went for a longer flight and it was beautiful.
20190418_190148.thumb.jpg.acc806cbfeacfee4d4760a619691245b.jpg20190418_190321.thumb.jpg.82882a4db28e99633c8799a5d2a1209b.jpg
The only thing better than the flight was my landing and I taxied back and put the plane away. Then it got sad, and a sobering reminder of the risks involved in this hobby. As I was driving away from my hangar I heard a plane getting ready to depart so I stopped and rolled down the window to watch. It was a twin (Duke) and I watched as he rolled down the runway and lifted off, then rolled up my window and started to pull away when I caught the fireball out of the corner of my eye. It took a couple of seconds for my mind to process what I was seeing. Impact was only about 1,600' from where he started his takeoff roll, just to the left of the runway on the taxiway.
This one hits a bit too close to home. I called my wife immediately to let her know I was okay. My prayers go out to the family who just lost a loved one. I am not going to speculate on what happened here, and in no way am I saying that this pilot was not vigilant and on his A game, maybe he was and maybe there was nothing he could have done to prevent it. But, it is a reminder to me that I can never let myself get complacent.

I saw the initial reports on the accident. Looks like it was just the pilot onboard. It is sobering and a constant reminder never to let our guard down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

This sounds like such a fun trip.  Child bonding time is an amazing thing to do.  I have happy memories of doing a few things like this with Vicki, roasting marshmallows around the camp fire being one (it was her idea, i had never had roasted marshmallows before, but boy...). Flying her back south from newcastle in the heavy rain was another.  Such great times.  

Glas you had fun.  Did he  manage to choose a school?  

We have several more school hunting trips ahead of us yet. I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Finally got back from Tahoe with Sassy Copilot. He flew most of the way back. On the way up we had thunderstorms and ice- on the way back severe clear!

He likes to turn the heat up so I told him he had to get a blanket because I didn’t want to pay the heating bill (the truth is that the weather was enough to make me sweat without a heater!). Extra HP, fuel and TKS sure are nice to have on board.

FB3FE267-CB01-48D2-9CEC-8B2D5DAD0744.jpeg

61FE8179-25D8-42B7-A501-F30C7EF16F71.jpeg

682B3474-890E-454C-AC86-98276A96527C.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, MrRodgers said:

It was great seeing you and your wife last Sunday.  Hope to see you both again very soon. Oceano fly-in coming up May 10-11.  

Hey sorry I missed you both!We had lunch with local friends who Than drove us to the gardens at Kendall Jackson winery...we got back after 3 pm 

• Like 1

I flew down to Green Bay yesterday for lunch and dinner with my youngest son, his room mates in his house, and the parents of one of those friends (our close friends as well).  I ended up leveling at 9500 due to some clouds (had planned 14,500 for lower fuel burn) for the 20+ minute flight.  As we got closer, the clouds were spectacular to see.  Even my disinterested wife was snapping pictures for about 5 minutes.  It's really unfortunate the pictures never look as good as the original view with the eye.  Pictures 1 and 2 are looking west (we were north bound).  The last 6 are looking east at Northern Wisconsin, the Bay of Green Bay, and the Door County Peninsula.

Tom

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT

4-20-19 Flight (1).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (2).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (3).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (4).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (5).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (6).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (7).jpg

4-20-19 Flight (8).jpg

• Like 6

I'm in awe that he planned 14,500 for a 20-minute flight . . . . .

You’d be in even more awe if you saw his fuel burn at that altitude. I flew down to Sun N Fun last year with Jerry in JetProp. Seeing fuel flow go from close to 60 GPH to 30 GPH just due to altitude changes was amazing to see.

• Like 3

You’d be in even more awe if you saw his fuel burn at that altitude. I flew down to Sun N Fun last year with Jerry in his JetProp. Seeing fuel flow go from close to 60 GPH to 30 GPH just due to altitude changes was amazing to see.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Fuel burn my man.......fuel burn.  

Definitely an efficient cross country plane.  I fly it for the fun factor on short trips (and currently have no other plane flying..........YET!!).  The comments when I taxi up and shut down, priceless.

Tom

• Like 3

Played Instrument Safety Pilot for @amillet this morning, it was a wonderful flight; continued learning experience for me and Alan did a great job, Sequim>Friday Harbor(RNAV 34)>Oak Harbor(RNAV 07)>Port Angeles(RNAV 26)>Sequim with roughly Ten minutes in IMC.

4A207D8B-6E14-469C-BA4B-1E6C76D7756C.jpeg

E3290C67-9854-4EA5-ACD4-AE88CF4B65D3.jpeg

B6CB6B11-F3F9-493F-90C1-43DEA9CCCD1D.jpeg

29CC24DB-9C08-4FED-8D46-17023D8A603B.jpeg

Edited by M20C_AV8R
  • Like 5

Wet, wet, wet, yep finally got my IR wet today climbing out of Troutdale enroute to Sunriver. I could of flown the gorge to The Dalles all VFR. But what’s the joy in seeing where you’re going???:) It wasn’t a lot of IMC. Bases at 4,100 tops 6,300 on climb out. So almost got 5 minutes, that’s good for five tents right???:)6027f9192953d246a53129177b48eb37.jpgf37c929893baaba3aa49fb516a175c93.jpgedd036bc1a2f01926069b7b5b43fdb2f.jpg573515e27144293f38abe928d6561834.jpg43ed992f234ba620d8b344aff6297716.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I just completed a week long 5174 nm journey with my 13 yo daughter.   Her spring break started last Friday after school.  I flew from Erie, Pa (KERI) to Boston (KBED) to pick her up.   From there we stopped in N.C for dinner (KECG) and on to St. Augustine, FL (KSGJ) for the night.  The next morning was KSGJ to Providenciales (MBPV) for fuel.   We didn’t need to clear customs for just a fuel stop, but they certainly tack on a number of government fees.   From there we continued to St. Thomas (TIST).   During my planning, I had been working with the FBOs and customs to make sure that I had everything set.   As we were preparing to depart to St. Thomas, I gave one more call.   It was lucky that I did.  They said, you better hurry, customs goes home at 5:45 today.    We landed in St. Thomas at 5:38 and had a really quick trip through customs.   The FBO at St. Thomas (Standard Aviation) was great.   They met us a customs and got us through everything quickly and easily.  Things always work a little differently in the islands.  

From there, we spent 2 nights in St Thomas, which is still recovering from Hurricane Irma.   On Monday, we took a ferry to Tortola where we picked up a sailboat for the next five nights.   We had a fun captain and enjoyed sailing around the British Virgin Islands.    The BVI were also hit very hard by the hurricane.   They can certainly use the tourist dollars to help the recovery and support their economy and workers.  

Saturday morning was a ferry back to St. Thomas to pick up the plane.   Saturday morning, the ferry and US Customs in in St. Thomas were running on island time.    Getting a little later start than we wanted, we set off from TIST to MBPV again for fuel.   ProvoAir at MBPV was very efficient and helpful.   Even though you file your flight plan like normal through ForeFlight or your normal routine, the tower at MBPV requires a paper copy.  The FBO helped get one faxed over to them and called to verify that got it and we happy.   Another thing that I found interesting is that depending on the time of day, clearance delivery, ground, tower, and approach can all be on the same frequency with one controller.   Because of the late start, we were not going to be able to make customs at Ft. Pierce before closing time at 6PM.   We elected to choose Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE) where customs are open until Midnight daily.   After a dinner in Ft Lauderdale, we decided to call it a night and not push on any further.   On Easter Sunday we got up and made the trip from KFXE to Charleston, SC (KCHS) for a nice Easter brunch in downtown Charleston.   After brunch was the trip back to KBED.    I dropped her off with her mother at around 6pm.    Since I didn’t have anything scheduled Monday morning, I stayed in Boston Sunday night.   On Monday, I woke up and flew back to KERI in time to make if for my surgeries that were scheduled to start at 10AM.   

It was a great Father-Daughter week.  She is a big help with the plane and the logistics.   She and I have done international flight to several places in Canada, but this was out first Caribbean adventure on our own.   I think this really helps develop her self confidence and sense of adventure.     She isn’t afraid to try new things and figure out new situations that require flexibility.  I am very fortunate that she and I can do this sort of trip together.    

The Meridian was great for the trip.   I love the speed and altitude.   But is certainly doesn’t have the legs of a Mooney.   The thirsty PT6 needs to eat every 800nm or about 3 hours.   

It is almost impossible to take a bad picture with this scenery.

Bradb

F5999D19-8170-43BA-87D3-EFC8549EBDAC.thumb.jpeg.3e1f18617b6c8aabfdd775439082b634.jpegBAB1DD77-6A12-4424-83C0-789D51B859B8.thumb.jpeg.e955502a83d8c53f113afbf7ff5f1075.jpegFCCB07B0-2B2B-4188-97F2-7E98059ED112.thumb.jpeg.550d9befa566c41455f67fd778b4bbf7.jpeg35CF7038-7007-4F27-AE77-1691CBEAC200.thumb.jpeg.62cc21788cf4218ab7de33d3aba3a7fd.jpeg0922D3F1-43BB-4ECC-85E7-FABCAE7110E9.thumb.jpeg.60735f1b93a95091b3956d03ae0cceb4.jpeg

• Like 11

I just completed a week long 5174 nm journey with my 13 yo daughter.   Her spring break started last Friday after school.  I flew from Erie, Pa (KERI) to Boston (KBED) to pick her up.   From there we stopped in N.C for dinner (KECG) and on to St. Augustine, FL (KSGJ) for the night.  The next morning was KSGJ to Providenciales (MBPV) for fuel.   We didn’t need to clear customs for just a fuel stop, but they certainly tack on a number of government fees.   From there we continued to St. Thomas (TIST).   During my planning, I had been working with the FBOs and customs to make sure that I had everything set.   As we were preparing to depart to St. Thomas, I gave one more call.   It was lucky that I did.  They said, you better hurry, customs goes home at 5:45 today.    We landed in St. Thomas at 5:38 and had a really quick trip through customs.   The FBO at St. Thomas (Standard Aviation) was great.   They met us a customs and got us through everything quickly and easily.  Things always work a little differently in the islands.  
From there, we spent 2 nights in St Thomas, which is still recovering from Hurricane Irma.   On Monday, we took a ferry to Tortola where we picked up a sailboat for the next five nights.   We had a fun captain and enjoyed sailing around the British Virgin Islands.    The BVI were also hit very hard by the hurricane.   They can certainly use the tourist dollars to help the recovery and support their economy and workers.  
Saturday morning was a ferry back to St. Thomas to pick up the plane.   Saturday morning, the ferry and US Customs in in St. Thomas were running on island time.    Getting a little later start than we wanted, we set off from TIST to MBPV again for fuel.   ProvoAir at MBPV was very efficient and helpful.   Even though you file your flight plan like normal through ForeFlight or your normal routine, the tower at MBPV requires a paper copy.  The FBO helped get one faxed over to them and called to verify that got it and we happy.   Another thing that I found interesting is that depending on the time of day, clearance delivery, ground, tower, and approach can all be on the same frequency with one controller.   Because of the late start, we were not going to be able to make customs at Ft. Pierce before closing time at 6PM.   We elected to choose Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE) where customs are open until Midnight daily.   After a dinner in Ft Lauderdale, we decided to call it a night and not push on any further.   On Easter Sunday we got up and made the trip from KFXE to Charleston, SC (KCHS) for a nice Easter brunch in downtown Charleston.   After brunch was the trip back to KBED.    I dropped her off with her mother at around 6pm.    Since I didn’t have anything scheduled Monday morning, I stayed in Boston Sunday night.   On Monday, I woke up and flew back to KERI in time to make if for my surgeries that were scheduled to start at 10AM.   
It was a great Father-Daughter week.  She is a big help with the plane and the logistics.   She and I have done international flight to several places in Canada, but this was out first Caribbean adventure on our own.   I think this really helps develop her self confidence and sense of adventure.     She isn’t afraid to try new things and figure out new situations that require flexibility.  I am very fortunate that she and I can do this sort of trip together.    
The Meridian was great for the trip.   I love the speed and altitude.   But is certainly doesn’t have the legs of a Mooney.   The thirsty PT6 needs to eat every 800nm or about 3 hours.   
It is almost impossible to take a bad picture with this scenery.
Bradb

F5999D19-8170-43BA-87D3-EFC8549EBDAC.thumb.jpeg.3e1f18617b6c8aabfdd775439082b634.jpegBAB1DD77-6A12-4424-83C0-789D51B859B8.thumb.jpeg.e955502a83d8c53f113afbf7ff5f1075.jpegFCCB07B0-2B2B-4188-97F2-7E98059ED112.thumb.jpeg.550d9befa566c41455f67fd778b4bbf7.jpeg35CF7038-7007-4F27-AE77-1691CBEAC200.thumb.jpeg.62cc21788cf4218ab7de33d3aba3a7fd.jpeg0922D3F1-43BB-4ECC-85E7-FABCAE7110E9.thumb.jpeg.60735f1b93a95091b3956d03ae0cceb4.jpeg

Brad - she is growing up in a hurry! I remember you posting pictures of her in your Acclaim.

• Like 4

I FINALLY was able to fly my bird since I left it in September 2018. Bad Wx, ice-blocked hangar doors, and family blocked me from bringing it to my new home since December.

I don’t think the engine has ran since the end of Feb per my A&P. It started easily and it has never ran so smooth as he said the timing was off by a hair (overhauled mags less than a year ago). The prop governor didn’t want to cycle during the run up. It worked fine after I adjusted the RPM’s after leveling off.

441c311e128a7d48a66ba30a447a20dd.jpg

I think they’re selling this if anyone wants it:

e6d46b7ba76d36fb991f8ff659176f74.jpg

• Like 5

Flew down to Houston for a wedding Friday.

Flew from SGR to NEW Saturday to say hello to a friend.

Over Galleria in Houston / Transco Tower

11.thumb.jpg.cdaedd1eb1f03a335ca6479ba3c7ce39.jpg

Crossing over Lake Pontchartrain 

15.thumb.jpg.b5a6753c7416220b37cc51b6c4555ed0.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.33e9d6f0a5d62bf1f0f1229927ccc3bd.jpg

It was so cool landing over the water

6.thumb.jpg.602e32a5c818f05b0acd1f61338913d6.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.abf07687ab00bf0851543c96846eff4d.jpg20.thumb.jpg.b34ecdd34a1eeff6e07c444d21500977.jpg

Nice Sunset Reflection

18.thumb.jpg.3d098104805d037032c22e76f8324533.jpg

Sunday was a bit more chaotic.

Got lunch with my sister who was in NOLA for a wedding. Had to non rev her back to DC so she wouldnt be considered AWOL from her Military leave.

Well all flights to DCA were packed.

Flew NEW-CSG (was going to drop her off in RDU and suffer through to night back to GPM.)

Landed in CSG and looked at flights from HSV to DCA. It was open again, we turned North West to HSV from CSG. Got her on the ground with 40 minutes to go. She got her ticket, and walked on board!

This was leaving HSV to TXK Texarkana for a fuel stop before continuing to GPM.

21.thumb.jpg.69fb2b6355cc41119cc038d852d885f1.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.af2c6d2e4fc6cfa874d05f50451d1cf8.jpg

51kt cross wind from the south before turning to final at GPM.

LONG flight back from HSV to GPM.

Total for the weekend: 12.6 Hours

Total on Sunday alone: 8.6 Hours

7.jpg

• Like 8

Another quick trip to civilization looking forward to a long flight in the near future and will be making some inquiries about our destination. Today's flight was problem free but had some pretty challenging winds at both fields. A couple pics showing the strong marine layer to our west, was about 20 miles in from the coast. Also is a nice picture of Lake Berryessa dam the round circle is the glory hole which is the spillway. It's still flowing a little. A few weeks ago it was really flowing. Most water in California in over a decade.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

Another quick trip to civilization looking forward to a long flight in the near future and will be making some inquiries about our destination. Today's flight was problem free but had some pretty challenging winds at both fields. A couple pics showing the strong marine layer to our west, was about 20 miles in from the coast. Also is a nice picture of Lake Berryessa dam the round circle is the glory hole which is the spillway. It's still flowing a little. A few weeks ago it was really flowing. Most water in California in over a decade.

image.thumb.jpeg.71bb90bb8f5adf33095f6859697028fd.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.cdc655407284f071ba06731623da3eef.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.94b4da90cfc5bbffa4ca849cfd95a881.jpeg

If you are looking for a good cross country I’ll buy dinner:) great pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1