Today's flight in 2019

bonal

27 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I might be in that picture, Rob, having driven my 15 year old daughter home to Panama City after successfully completing U.S. Naval Sea Cadets Corps Recruit Training in Apopka, just north of Orlando, yesterday.  It was a miserable drive that took nine hours, but I couldn’t be more proud of her accomplishment. 

Jim

That's awesome, Jim!  

Trip from Lancaster PA to Key West FL with the family. Shout out to @Marauder for letting me borrow his mobile intercom. My wife and mother in law loved having a separate channel in the back on the 8.5 hr flight. I shared their enthusiasm in the front. 

8.5 was the second longest single day trip since my purchase of the aircraft. Rear end fatigue did start to set in around hour 7, but still wayyyyy better than the airlines.

The Mooney is truly a traveling machine!! So thankful  for the advice i received on this forum when talking about my mission during my hunt for an airplane. I love my F with the large amount of leg room in the rear and 1050 useful load 

Equally thankful for the confidence I gained to make such a long journey with 3 passengers over the Everglades and water because of my owner assisted annual in which an A&P/IA MS forum member allowed me to participate in his annualing of my airplane.  Nothing like getting involved in the maintenance to gain confidence in flying your family around in your bird. 

Was a beautiful route with a fair amount of traffic following the islands at low level taking in the sights. Hoping for good wx on the way home. 

IMG_20190106_154423.jpg

MVIMG_20190106_153337.jpg

MVIMG_20190106_153333.jpg

IMG_20190106_153747.jpg

20190107_231302-ANIMATION.gif

MVIMG_20190106_153332.jpg

IMG_20190106_161910.jpg

• Like 8

@DualRatedFlyer nice PIREP. I don't think I have ANY family that would ride in my Mooney for 8 hours. My wife and I did a 4 hour flight back from Durango. It was her longest non-stop flight in the Mooney to date. You should take a look at the PMA450a in @Marauder's panel. It solves all those intercom scenarios.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

@DualRatedFlyer nice PIREP. I don't think I have ANY family that would ride in my Mooney for 8 hours. My wife and I did a 4 hour flight back from Durango. It was her longest non-stop flight in the Mooney to date. You should take a look at the PMA450a in @Marauder's panel. It solves all those intercom scenarios.

Minor correction - not 8.5 non-stop. 2 hrs then break, 3.5hrs then 15 min refuel and back in the air for 3 hours. Still a 1 day butt flattener..

That intercom is on my list but really need a modern engine montior first. 

• Like 3

I forgot to take pictures...

Yesterday I flew my son to KPBG - 2 hr drive but a 20 min flight over the hills (Adirondack mountains) and through the woods.  12,000 ft Cold War runway.  I was dropping him off to pick up a commercial flight back to school in the Deep South - Duke.

It was right at sunrise, and -9F in the am.  Otherwise still air and clear skies.  We call that a "crisp" here in the North Country.

I have a great pre-heater (turbo plus incl oil and cylinder heaters) and a great full wrap cowl blanket (Bruces) so even at -9F the oil is 85F before I even turn the key. And I preheat the cabin with a ceramic space heater so the instruments are happy.  But...my darned EZ-tug won't start at those kinds of temps.  I will be being a preheater solution for that soon...  Luckily yesterday my son was there to help me push the old bird out of the hangar - and I have an electric winch to get it back in later as backup.  Tug has chains and good thing because on an icy tarmac...  I may well be able to pull the airplane around with some straining by hand in the summer - but there just isn't the foot traction to do so in the winter. Not really even with the spike-shoe covers I also have in the hangar.  Ahhhh....winter ops.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I forgot to take pictures...

Yesterday I flew my son to KPBG - 2 hr drive but a 20 min flight over the hills (Adirondack mountains) and through the woods.  12,000 ft Cold War runway.  I was dropping him off to pick up a commercial flight back to school in the Deep South - Duke.

It was right at sunrise, and -9F in the am.  Otherwise still air and clear skies.  We call that a "crisp" here in the North Country.

I have a great pre-heater (turbo plus incl oil and cylinder heaters) and a great full wrap cowl blanket (Bruces) so even at -9F the oil is 85F before I even turn the key. And I preheat the cabin with a ceramic space heater so the instruments are happy.  But...my darned EZ-tug won't start at those kinds of temps.  I will be being a preheater solution for that soon...  Luckily yesterday my son was there to help me push the old bird out of the hangar - and I have an electric winch to get it back in later as backup.  Tug has chains and good thing because on an icy tarmac...  I may well be able to pull the airplane around with some straining by hand in the summer - but there just isn't the foot traction to do so in the winter. Not really even with the spike-shoe covers I also have in the hangar.  Ahhhh....winter ops.

Jeez Erik, I just turn the hangar heat up from 50 to 68.  No where  near as much work for this Yooper. We even heat our outhouses now.  Might even look at indoor plumbing next year.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Jeez Erik, I just turn the hangar heat up from 50 to 68.  No where  near as much work for this Yooper. We even heat our outhouses now.  Might even look at indoor plumbing next year.

Tom

Ahhhh...hangar heat.  What's that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hey, Erik.  I got a kick out of your “Deep South” comment as my family were some of the first English North Carolina settlers back in the early 1600s. I was actually the first generation to move away and, living in the panhandle of Florida these last 20 years, imagine my surprise when I learned after moving here that I am in fact a “Yankee”?  I guess everything is relative.  Who would have thought, though, my civil war ancestors having all worn gray and all, but that is how I am viewed by many here.  Even from my perspective, though, in spite of the fact that we still grow a little cotton in North Carolina there is nothing “Deep South” now about Durham let alone Duke.  Come on down here to Alabama or Mississippi for that.  It is worth the visit.  :)

Jim

Yeah - I know....

Actually I play around with the Deep South thing.  Since my youngest son (17) has become a real Civil War buff, and even joined the local re-enactors division, and I got him the full garb (blue wool uniform, front loading musket, etc), and I've been to a few events with him and met the opposition, (fine gentleman in the same garb but otherwise Grey, and those funny southern accents), I've taken to joking with my oldest son at Duke that he's in the Deep South.  I know there is even Deeper South out there. And that Duke specifically, and the research triangle generally, is sort of an island of - not so southiness.  But we have fun.

16 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I love it. Yep. It sounds like you’ve got a very firm grasp of the lay of the land after all. We have fun with these old labels down here, too.  My immediate family has mostly relocated to Raleigh from NE NC, and you are absolutely right that there isn’t much “southiness” left in the RTP.

One of my daughters just a few days ago received an invitation via her U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps channels to participate in an upcoming Civil War reinactment here in Florida. If it sparks an interest perhaps she and your son will some day meet on the field of battle.  She will be the one wearing gray.  :)

Jim

Hah!  I love it!  ...and my son will be the one wearing Blue!  At the event at Gettysburg (the big everyone-comes event in July) my son got a picture taken on one of those old metal plates, and darned if he looks like a real 1860's dude.  I will cook it up and send it to you pm (since he hates when I post his picture publicly).

HONESTLY, this re-enacting thing has been great for him - he has been reading reading reading all sorts of history books and absorbing them with a passion.  Civil War history.  The campaigns of Napoleon, Hanibal, WWI, etc.  And he does a really good Winston Churchill impersonation - he has all of his speeches memorized.  SO I figure its great to have a passion and dive in - I hope your daughter loves the Sea Cadets!

BTW - to add a bit more to the mix of North vs South - "officially" I grew  1/2 mile from the Mason Dixon line....in the suburbs of DC in Bethesda, MD, right next to the Potomac river and of course the other side of the river is ...gasp ... Virginia!

Took my Commercial Multi w/ Instrument check ride this morning.  Flew to the test airport site and landed at 11 degrees F at 7:30am.  Winds were whipping too.

This picture, from a week ago, shows (in the background) the twin Mooney that I trained in and used for the exam. ;)  

IMG_0455.thumb.PNG.e7549b1a2109be45fcf05145cd3b8090.PNG

• Like 7

Took my Commercial Multi w/ Instrument check ride this morning.  Flew to the test airport site and landed at 11 degrees F at 7:30am.  Winds were whipping too.
This picture, from a week ago, shows (in the background) the twin Mooney that I trained in and used for the exam.   
IMG_0455.thumb.PNG.e7549b1a2109be45fcf05145cd3b8090.PNG

Did you pass?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't been on much lately, as I didn't fly the Mooney much last year (only 37 hours).  We bought it for my son to get his Commercial.  Anyway, he's knocking it out, and last night I went with him as he got the last of the required night patterns.  This is the sunset over Kennesaw Mountain, Ga, as we wait for actual night to start.

IMG_0010.jpg

• Like 2

We are feeling very lucky to fly this weekend.   Airplanes certainly open up things that would not otherwise be possible.    After work Thursday, I flew a friend to KPHL from Erie (KERI) to visit some of her friends.   After a fun night, I flew up to Boston (KBED) to pick up my 13 yo daughter from school.   We turned around and went back to KPHL to catch a 76er’s game.    We have the rest of the weekend to relax.  Then on Sunday, KPHL to KBED to drop off my daughter and then back to KERI.  

634B6548-1BA1-4F16-BDA1-6FAB58B7D612.thumb.jpeg.adc9e3fba92bf2b8a411de3b9fed0751.jpeg

684BD679-C18E-4D9F-845B-CB345B94C0D3.thumb.jpeg.64025bb98566444b2bb4b22afa6834e1.jpeg

The first photo is on the ground at PHL on Thursday.    That smile says it all!

Bradb

2006 Meridian N951TB

Former Acclaim

• Like 9

Worked under the hood all morning so didn’t get any pics. I got 2.1 hrs of simulated. The weather was pretty good but I wouldn’t of known. Flew up to Lewiston Idaho then home. At Lewiston I saw three Mooney’s on the ramp. Came home and there was a Mooney visiting my home airport N231HF. Didn’t get to meet the pilot but hope their having a good day of flying. I always enjoy doubling the Mooney presence at KGCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.  Today saw a commercial airline fly into KCLL while it was an uncontrolled field.

kind strange hearing an airline calling "easterwood TRAFFIC"

Why was it uncontrolled?  The tower usually leaves after the last flight lands.

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.  Today saw a commercial airline fly into KCLL while it was an uncontrolled field.

kind strange hearing an airline calling "easterwood TRAFFIC"

Imagine my surprise taxiing into KCOD, an uncontrolled field, and seeing a Delta jet pulled up ~100 yards from the FBO!

When we left, a United jet had done a self-cleared Position and Hold while working the satellite phone for its IFR Clearance. We pulled onto the runway at the closest taxiway and back-taxied up to it for our departure (2 planes  :lol: one at a time). It was still sitting when I lost sight of it several miles later . . . .

• Like 1

Flew the Mooney new years day & today. A bit over 2 hours in both of them. Very enjoyable.

In the first 7 work days of the year, made a lot of hay. Visits to DCA SEA SFO PHL LAX SAN and a very nice place waaay down in Mexico yesterday. A lot of hours night time. One nasty wind shear go around at 1AM, after flying 7 hours... did not need that, especially with a redeye the next night.

It is winter: take more fuel.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 2