Today's flight in 2019

bonal

First Flight in 2019

Today we completed our Holiday travel.  Spirit of Saint Louis KSUS to Baltimore Martin.   

A606481E-A676-4958-A416-DEC20410D93F.thumb.jpeg.4e905ae0e8abb4bef432287a49279cda.jpeg

IMC in departure from St Louis and some ice from surface to 4500’ then clear skies and strong tailwinds.  

Nice performance from my new 9 blade prop:

5F7E45D7-32FB-46E2-A90A-CA1A6B3F7A14.thumb.jpeg.b76b9a7199575beb2812762cc6de8bcf.jpeg

A good aviation start to 2019.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was wondering who the first MSer to post an inflight pic was going to be...
A high probability went to Jerry for closing out last year’s thread.
Way to go, Early Birds!
Best regards,
-a-

It should have been you!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

First Flight in 2019

Today we completed our Holiday travel.  Spirit of Saint Louis KSUS to Baltimore Martin.   

A606481E-A676-4958-A416-DEC20410D93F.thumb.jpeg.4e905ae0e8abb4bef432287a49279cda.jpeg

IMC in departure from St Louis and some ice from surface to 4500’ then clear skies and strong tailwinds.  

Nice performance from my new 9 blade prop:

5F7E45D7-32FB-46E2-A90A-CA1A6B3F7A14.thumb.jpeg.b76b9a7199575beb2812762cc6de8bcf.jpeg

A good aviation start to 2019.   

How did you get that direct of routing flying into the eastern corridor?   I get freakin STARS flying into small airports all over the country!!!

Tom

• Like 1

Just flight planned my trip from Spruce Creek (south of Daytona Beach) to Iron Mountain ( in the U.P.)  for tomorrow morning and it looks like winds will allow my first non-stop trip home, 1200+ NM’s, in about 3:40 hours.   I guess we’ll see if winds tomorrow match what was forecast this evening.  

I will try to post some pictures.  Maybe a departure picture of weather in the 70’s and landing less than 4 hours later in the teens with snow and snow banks will put the trip in perspective.  

Tom

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

All done under a hood.  Instructor said it included 0.6 h actual, but I didn't notice.  I was under a hood that won't come off.   Anybody tried prescription foggles for up-close vision?

I bought a pair of large sized reading glasses, and covered the top and sides with Scotch tape. One layer of the tape works very well in mimicking in-cloud conditions. I had to cut and attach some "blinders" out of translucent plastic attached to the sides to prevent peripheral vision. It is easy to sit in the plane and experiment with how much of the lens need to be covered to get the desired result. Much cheaper than Foggles (I'm a CB) and I have been using them successfully for years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I bought a pair of large sized reading glasses, and covered the top and sides with Scotch tape. One layer of the tape works very well in mimicking in-cloud conditions. I had to cut and attach some "blinders" out of translucent plastic attached to the sides to prevent peripheral vision. It is easy to sit in the plane and experiment with how much of the lens need to be covered to get the desired result. Much cheaper than Foggles (I'm a CB) and I have been using them successfully for years.  

I’ve done the same with cheap rouge sunglasses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

How did you get that direct of routing flying into the eastern corridor?   I get freakin STARS flying into small airports all over the country!!!

Tom

Maybe it’s that salty aviator drawl I affect on the radio. 

Earlier in this flight Indy center tried to give me “direct Richmond for the RIPKIN2 arrival” into Martin State but I didn’t want to go 50 miles south of DC and then get vectors all over creation at low altitudes.  I questioned him several times — “really, Richmond??”  Yes, he said, that’s what ‘the computer’ was telling him. So I requested the far more reasonable Westminster 5 arrival via MRB which comes directly in from the west.   After a delay, Okay, they said.   Glad I resisted.  

On the negative side: Washington Approach always pushes prop traffic down to 14,000 max before MRB and 7,000 by 60 miles out.  I have been known to cancel at 17,500 and go VFR, weather permitting, naturally.   

If there is a secret to getting ATC to utter the word “direct” anywhere in the DC to NY area I haven’t discovered it.  
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

All done under a hood.  Instructor said it included 0.6 h actual, but I didn't notice.  I was under a hood that won't come off.   Anybody tried prescription foggles for up-close vision?

Take your reading glasses to your local hardware / big box / industrial supply store. Find a set of "visitors safety glasses" that fit over them comfortably, should be ~$5-$6. Drive to the airport, grab a marker and sit in your plane with both pair of glasses on. Use the marker to trace the panel outline onto the outside of the safety glasses. Then go home.

Put masking tape on the inside of the safety glasses below the marked line. Gently sandblast the inside of the safety glasses on all surfaces not taped over. Don't have a sandblaster? Use the one at work like I did (twice--student 172 set with silicone oxide, later Mooney set with glass beads). Or ask a friend, or visit a local machine shop, or the guy who works on your car, fixes your tractor, the farmer down the road . . . Or use some sandpaper by hand, anything 60-400 grit should work, but put them on to make sure you are done before removing the tape.

Texturing the inside is much better than the foggles in the store with texture on the outside, because when not if you drop them, the scratches won't change the texture and blind you when turning across the sun. When I'm through wearing mine, I've been known to toss them into the back seat; when I had electrical failure flying with CFII, I literally threw them over my shoulder to concentrate on the problem. They usually live in a Crown Royal bag within arm's reach, that my wife turned inside out and resewed to a shorter length so I don't have to feel around for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I use these.

+1 on the Overcasters:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/531

For whatever reason I cannot use foggles or the other typical "view limiting devices" while wearing my glasses with my progressive prescription.   It's just not practical for me to make it work.   The overcasters work fine, though.    I would caution that you have to be careful to take reasonable care of them.   If they get left in the sun they'll curl up like a potato chip in short order.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hank said:

Take your reading glasses to your local hardware / big box / industrial supply store. Find a set of "visitors safety glasses" that fit over them comfortably, should be ~$5-$6. Drive to the airport, grab a marker and sit in your plane with both pair of glasses on. Use the marker to trace the panel outline onto the outside of the safety glasses. Then go home.

Put masking tape on the inside of the safety glasses below the marked line. Gently sandblast the inside of the safety glasses on all surfaces not taped over. Don't have a sandblaster? Use the one at work like I did (twice--student 172 set with silicone oxide, later Mooney set with glass beads). Or ask a friend, or visit a local machine shop, or the guy who works on your car, fixes your tractor, the farmer down the road . . . Or use some sandpaper by hand, anything 60-400 grit should work, but put them on to make sure you are done before removing the tape.

Texturing the inside is much better than the foggles in the store with texture on the outside, because when not if you drop them, the scratches won't change the texture and blind you when turning across the sun. When I'm through wearing mine, I've been known to toss them into the back seat; when I had electrical failure flying with CFII, I literally threw them over my shoulder to concentrate on the problem. They usually live in a Crown Royal bag within arm's reach, that my wife turned inside out and resewed to a shorter length so I don't have to feel around for them.

Sheesh Hank, you have $625 labor in them!  I'll have to fly to Eclectic just to see what a pair of those look like!  :D

• Like 1

Today was my first flight of 2019.  It was a short 0.8 in the log book, CNY to DRO. 

Think my Mooney is tired of the snow and the cold? 

IMG_2787.thumb.JPG.5a7118c19eb01090c6936c8e450105bb.JPG

122204745_ScreenShot2019-01-02at10_17_59PM.thumb.png.979a6148fc153bb138de1a2245118e79.png

If your Mooney isn’t, I bet 2MG in the background is... How did your plane handle taxiing in that deep of snow?

• Like 1

I started off with a nice New Year’s Day flight to fly my daughter back to Boston (KBED) from Erie (Erie).   We had a nice tailwind at FL270.   Don’t ask about the trip home!

A5B1FA8D-0512-4C7A-B6A2-025E7F06656B.thumb.jpeg.dd1b28bec415f56d3d76814eae5b7ac1.jpeg2F9D87DE-44FB-4A88-829B-4B23C1660C1F.thumb.jpeg.3e7f1c21f89b069b1dcba3cb3c8aabc9.jpeg

The first picture was straight and level flight at 270.   The second picture was in the decent and is my fastest ground speed so far.  Still waiting for the big 400kts.   

Happy New Year!

bradb

Meridian N951TB

Former Acclaim.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If your Mooney isn’t, I bet 2MG in the background is... How did your plane handle taxiing in that deep of snow?

This is super cold and super light Colorado powder. I was tentative rolling into it but couldn't feel it at all.

• Like 2