Paper Logbook #3

Seth

I will soon run out of room in my paper logbook #2.  

Both Paper Logbook #1 and Paper Logbook #2 have seen a lot of wear and need both tape and rubber bands to keep from falling apart.  That said, I have a reward for return written into each with contact information and the fact that it's a "love story" not just a logbook.  

I also keep records on MyFlightBook.com, however I still want to keep a paper logbook (even though I'm in my 30s and should go all digital).

So . . . seeing that I now fly for Part 135 single engine operator, plan to get my multi, tailwheel, in the end CFI, and maybe give helicopters a shot. Likely, I will not go to the airlines (maybe more corporate and part 91 contract flying); yes, I will get turbine time soon (friend with King Air and once I get my multi I can log it), and maybe jet time in the future though other contacts.  What paper logbook should I get?  What do you recommend?  I'm not getting a basic logbook, but one with more columns.  My first was shorter.  My second could fit many more flights on one page.   I know it's just a logbook, but I want to know why you purchased yours, and what I should want in my logbook as I progress into aviation at a measured pace.  This logbook will likely last for 5-8 years until full if I keep my current pace.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

-Seth

• Like 2

Look at the available offerings and pick the prettiest one. a Google imagecsearch for pilot logbook will show plenty.

While I still used paper, I just went with the cheap ASA which did the job just fine. But it sounds like you are looking for something with more bells and whistles, figuratively speaking.

Edited by midlifeflyer

8 hours ago, Seth said:

I will get turbine time soon (friend with King Air and once I get my multi I can log it), and maybe jet time in the future though other contacts

Seth,

First I am going to give you a bad time about your above statement...the King Air is a turboprop not a turbine ;) 

I currently maintain 2 paper log books.  I have both a civilian and military logs.  My current civilian version is about to be filled up so I got this one as my replacement https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/senior-pilot-s-flight-log-and-record.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=simple&mrkgcl=596&mrkgadid=3150907911&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Aircraft+Supplies&creative=75797585338496&device=c&matchtype=e

Aircraft Spruce also has a leather bound version https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/propilotleather.php?recfer=14022

I'm currently on my 3rd large Jeppesen logbook.  Most guys I fly with don't even keep a logbook anymore, the only reason I do is for my Mooney insurance renewal questionnaires (and I'm old school, and like you, it's like my "flight diary".)

Never say never to an airline career.  No where else will you have the quality of life, salary, and days off that you'll see at the airlines.

And contrary to what Kevin said, above, King Air time IS turbine time, at least where it counts- at an interview for your next job.  At the interview, you will have to differentiate between turbojet and turboprop time.

2 hours ago, Bayern Speed said:

I passed my check ride with the paper log, moved everything to digital and have never looked back. I tend to write more in the digital log about the trip.

How do you handle sign offs? I quit using my paper log shortly after my check ride. I use myflightbook, download it regularly, as well as print off paper copies of it, just in case they should go belly up or something. I too find I write more if I can type it out as well as adding photos to it. 

I know there is the option for a CFI to digitally sign, but my last flight review was with an older CFI (75 years old and had been flying since he was 17) and the digital thing wasn't going to happen. I just had him sign my old log book. 

• Like 1

Just completed the switch to Foreflight logbook this weekend. I fly with Foreflight and it keeps track of all my flights and can update the electronic logbook automatically and accurately. I resisted for years switching to an electronic logbook but finally decided it is just easier to use the Foreflight logbook and I can export all of it to a spreadsheet anytime I want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

How do you handle sign offs? I quit using my paper log shortly after my check ride. I use myflightbook, download it regularly, as well as print off paper copies of it, just in case they should go belly up or something. I too find I write more if I can type it out as well as adding photos to it. 

I know there is the option for a CFI to digitally sign, but my last flight review was with an older CFI (75 years old and had been flying since he was 17) and the digital thing wasn't going to happen. I just had him sign my old log book. 

There's no reason you can't keep a separate paper logbook for CFI signatures.  You just make a duplicate entry in your electronic log and reference your paper logbook.  It's a little messy, but no less so than trying to keep multiple paper logbooks.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skates97 said:

FWIW, I went through phases. For context, I have used a digital logbook since the early 1990s. My first was written in a DOS database program. Now it's MyFlightBook.

At first my eLog was a backup to paper. About 4 years ago, I stopped making my own paper entries but kept my paper log for CFI signatures. About a year ago, I dropped paper altogether, and have CFIs sign the app. Now my eLog is primary.

But, I'm not religious. Digital and paper are merely tools to accomplish a goal. There is no "versus." If I run into a CFI who has a personal problem with signing digitally, I'll bring the paper one if I know in advance or just grab a sheet of paper and have him write it out. If he has a problem with that, unless it's something I need like  a FR or IPC (in which case I ask in advance), I don't care if I have a number in the dual received column or not.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, Skates97 said:

How do you handle sign offs?

Not sure about other electronic flight logs but I use Garmin Pilot. Log entries are automatically generated. Endorsements and flight reviews can be handled in its logbook feature. 

File_001.thumb.png.f99c77da07fadead050124251c141996.png

Another nice feature is that log entries are synchronized with flyGarmin.com. I can run custom reports or calculate totals that automatically fills in the FAA 8710-1--Airman certification/rating application.

eND.thumb.JPG.83da2f86e96a4601543de76a02e19e8f.JPG

The only negative that I've found is that I occasionally have to remove automated logbook entries when I drive by two different airports. 

Edited by jonhop

I just use the Foreflight software and d the digital signature. You can also update your info on the FAA web site in the FASST system and have your CFI sign there. Even your 75 year old CFI should be using the FAA site.

• Like 1

Seth, since so many people have not answered your question:

When Logbook #1 was getting full, I went to Aircraft Spruce for other stuff and looked at their logbooks. Ended up with anither small one like my first one that came in the Gleim "You Can Be A Pilot" kit. A similar, much thicker book is also available, as are fancier models for corporate / airline use. You really can't go wrong, just pick one with a layout that you like, and be sure there are a couple of unlabeled columns that you can use for things like M20, turboprop, turbine, etc.

Seth, since you’re flying more commercial flights, you may want to make sure the logbook has enough columns for additional loggable items.

I’m leery of the electronic versions since you never know for certain how long those will stay around. And it would be a pain to download paper versions and store them later. I use Garmin Pilot since it tracks everything, but also record it in an actual logbook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Just throwing out becuase I haven't seen it listed.  I've been using Zulu Log since I finished my private.  I copied all of my entries from my paper into the online version, but still have the paper for the old endorsements and signatures.  All new signable items go into Zulu Log and it will hold a signature.  zululog.com and they have an app too for android and apple.