Multi-Engine Rating Suggestions

Seth

Hello Mooneyspace:

I earned my Commercial in 2018 after starting it back when I had my F model (which I sold in 2011).  I also was hired as a part time pilot for a part 135 operator as a Charter Captain in the Cirrus SR22.  www.flyopenair.com.

I plan to earn my multi engine rating in 2019.  I'm looking for a weekend/long weekend (2, 3, or 4 day program) where I can earn my multi rating.  I'm based in Maryland inside the SFRA - KGAI - Gaithersburg/Montgomery County Airpark.  There are two Seminole's at our local flight school, however for many reasons I can get into privately, I'm not using those aircraft, and likely they would not be available for me anyway (mechanically or booked out to a higher pecking order).

Here are the 2-4 day programs and pricing near me that I am aware of without too much digging.  What else does the collective wisdom of MooneySpace suggest? 

Groten, CT - $2595 + $600 examiner fee:  $3,195 Piper Seminole  269 NM

Hanover, VA (near Richmond) - $3875 + $500 examiner fee:  $4375 Tencam Twin  88 NM

Elon Aviation, NC - last summer my CPL instructor got his multi here over a weekend in a Seneca.  The website only has a Baron noted now.  I will get more details.

Any other suggestions?

I was at first thinking the glass cockpit Tencam would be neat and it's closer, but in hindsight, probably a legacy twin like a Seminole, Seneca, Dutchess, Baron, etc would make more sense as those aircraft are more available for rent and training is similar.  I can always get checked out in the Tencam for fun sometime.

Thanks in advance for extra information and opinions!  I'm also open to someone who would fly their twin here to my home field and is an instructor.  I also have at least one, if not two other pilots that would be interested (we can combine the ground portion to maybe get a better rate).

-Seth

Seth,

Here's a couple of more options for you:

There are two flight schools at Manassas (KHEF).  One has a pair of Twin Comanches and the other has an Aztec.

American Aviation (Aztec - $280 hr): https://www.americanaviationllc.com/aircraft

Aviation Adventure (2x TC - $270 hr): http://www.aviationadventures.com/airplanes.xml?location_id=1000

Aviation Adventure also has two twins at their Leesburg location: http://www.aviationadventures.com/airplanes.xml?location_id=1002&_offset=1

Diamond Twinstar ($350 an hour/G1000) and a Grumman Cougar ($255 an hour).

I was researching these for my CPL ME add on as well, but I'm buying a twin this month, so will end up doing that in my bird in February as part of the 15 hrs dual the insurance company hit me with.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

Seth,

Years ago, I used ATP in Lakeland, FL to get my ME ATP Certificate.  ATP has a location in Hartford, CT, but I have no idea what's offered there. Here's the link I saw, but you may have already explored this company.  They use Seminoles from what I remember.   Good luck!

-Dave

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/bring/items_for_addons.html

Avoid the Seneca 1 at all cost.  It is the single most  horrible, scary plane I’ve flown in 30 years of flying. I will forever Romberg short final over the trees at Flying W in NJ.  Both engines operating, bumpy but not extraordinarily so, right wing coming up, full rudder, full aileron.  Right wing still coming up. 

I couldn’t get those hours in that wretched plane over with soon enough.

highly recommend any operator using DA42.  A little away from you, but Midwest Corporate Air in Bellfountaine, OH operates three and has a very active program.

-dan

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, exM20K said:

Avoid the Seneca 1 at all cost.  It is the single most  horrible, scary plane I’ve flown in 30 years of flying. I will forever Romberg short final over the trees at Flying W in NJ.  Both engines operating, bumpy but not extraordinarily so, right wing coming up, full rudder, full aileron.  Right wing still coming up. 

I couldn’t get those hours in that wretched plane over with soon enough.

highly recommend any operator using DA42.  A little away from you, but Midwest Corporate Air in Bellfountaine, OH operates three and has a very active program.

-dan

The only thing worse than a Senica I is a Senica II.

If you love planes with poor visibility and engines that change power by themselves at the worst possible times, then it is the most fun you can have for $4/min.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The only thing worse than a Senica I is a Senica II. If you love planes with poor visibility and engines that change power by themselves at the worst possible times, then it is the most fun you can have for $4/min.

Once upon a time I had a Seneca III. That was just about the perfect first twin and I still recommend them when appropriate. 

2 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Once upon a time I had a Seneca III. That was just about the perfect first twin and I still recommend them when appropriate. 

Actually, for a traveling machine, it isn't bad. Big comfortable cabin, good load hauling. But as a multi-engine trainer, it sucked...

On 12/30/2018 at 11:30 PM, Seth said:

I was at first thinking the glass cockpit Tencam would be neat and it's closer, but in hindsight, probably a legacy twin like a Seminole, Seneca, Dutchess, Baron, etc would make more sense as those aircraft are more available for rent and training is similar.  I can always get checked out in the Tencam for fun sometime.

Seth,

I agree with this strategy. Depending on what you will be flying after you get the license most times it will be a conventional setup T/P/M across the power quadrant and the muscle memory for the engine out scenarios will flow easier with just the one style. So Duchess, Seminole, Senecas, and (other pipers) all will be the best/easiest for that knowledge transfer. Funny thing for the multi-rating you spend 2/3 to 3/4 of the time flying on one engine. If it is less than 10 hours (most pre-paid courses are) you really just get the basics and enough experience to ink your new certificate. Actually managing a multi-engine well in normal ops will be learned as on-the-job experience once those nasty MEI's stop "failing" engines on you.

Action Airlines in Groton has a  good reputation (safe) earned over decades of training. Same with ATP.  I don't mean to exclude the others, but either will suffice well for you.

Brian