Introduction, and new (to me) Mooney under contract!

Moobie

Hello Everybody,

I'm buying a Mooney!!!Not only my first Mooney, but my first airplane! Ive been lurking for many months and years and have spoken to a few of you off site during my search.  Thanks for all of the expert advice on these pages and off. It is invaluable to say the least. I got my ppl/ir/comm ticket way back in the 90s with big plans, then plans changed. I havent really flown much since. Kids were young, I was young, life got in the way. I was ready to get back into it so many times over the years, but never did. I moved to a new neighborhood a few years ago and met one of my  new neighbors who has an amazingly restored Cherokee and ive been flying with him every time I could for several years.One day I came to the realization, maybe owning my own airplane is the way to go, so I made the decision to buy.  I want to be able to go for that Saturday morning breakfast run, but be able to fly to N Georgia or the Keys if I want from here in Clearwater, so I thought,what fits that mission?  Back in about 96, I saw my first Mooney at SPG in St Petersburg FL. I knew when I saw it there was something about it.  I couldnt keep my eyes off it, but didnt know exactly why. Weird feeling but as I have studied them over the years,I realized it isnt just one thing, its just the whole package. From the smooth wings, to that unique tail, I just kind of fell in love. I know, sounds weird to some,(maybe nobody here lol) but I never forgot that feeling.  Then as I learned how fast and efficient they are, how reasonably priced they are and how far they can fly, I knew I had to have one, one day. So, as long as the pre-buy goes well, I hope to close sometime January on N6952V. The seller, Andy (great name, as its my name too, lol) is a very nice guy who has owned 52V for 3 years. I flew (commercial) last week from Florida to Peoria Ill to see and test fly her, and go over the logbooks and there were no surprises. She has an excellent maintenance history and has been flown 50hrs on the low end and over 100hrs on the high end per year smoh(900hrs since 2006 OH at Gann) with just shy of 2500TT. She has a gns530W, STEC60-2 AP, ST180HSI, EDM700,fuelscan450 and some other niceties like alt hold and GPSS. SB208 done in 2016 and no damage history. Pre-Buy is scheduled at Northwest Flyers second week of January. Fingers crossed, but I'm pretty confident all will be good. I am looking foreword to flying her to her new home in the Sunshine State!!!

Andy

• Like 9

Hello Everybody,
    I'm buying a Mooney!!!Not only my first Mooney, but my first airplane! Ive been lurking for many months and years and have spoken to a few of you off site during my search.  Thanks for all of the expert advice on these pages and off. It is invaluable to say the least. I got my ppl/ir/comm ticket way back in the 90s with big plans, then plans changed. I havent really flown much since. Kids were young, I was young, life got in the way. I was ready to get back into it so many times over the years, but never did. I moved to a new neighborhood a few years ago and met one of my  new neighbors who has an amazingly restored Cherokee and ive been flying with him every time I could for several years.One day I came to the realization, maybe owning my own airplane is the way to go, so I made the decision to buy.  I want to be able to go for that Saturday morning breakfast run, but be able to fly to N Georgia or the Keys if I want from here in Clearwater, so I thought,what fits that mission?  Back in about 96, I saw my first Mooney at SPG in St Petersburg FL. I knew when I saw it there was something about it.  I couldnt keep my eyes off it, but didnt know exactly why. Weird feeling but as I have studied them over the years,I realized it isnt just one thing, its just the whole package. From the smooth wings, to that unique tail, I just kind of fell in love. I know, sounds weird to some,(maybe nobody here lol) but I never forgot that feeling.  Then as I learned how fast and efficient they are, how reasonably priced they are and how far they can fly, I knew I had to have one, one day. So, as long as the pre-buy goes well, I hope to close sometime January on N6952V. The seller, Andy (great name, as its my name too, lol) is a very nice guy who has owned 52V for 3 years. I flew (commercial) last week from Florida to Peoria Ill to see and test fly her, and go over the logbooks and there were no surprises. She has an excellent maintenance history and has been flown 50hrs on the low end and over 100hrs on the high end per year smoh(900hrs since 2006 OH at Gann) with just shy of 2500TT. She has a gns530W, STEC60-2 AP, ST180HSI, EDM700,fuelscan450 and some other niceties like alt hold and GPSS. SB208 done in 2016 and no damage history. Pre-Buy is scheduled at Northwest Flyers second week of January. Fingers crossed, but I'm pretty confident all will be good. I am looking foreword to flying her to her new home in the Sunshine State!!!

Andy

Andy - you’re going to love your F. I’ve owned my 75 F for 28 years. Great plane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Between the teeth chattering I actually didnt get that many pics. I'm not used to the 20s and 30s anymore. I spent the entire day with her though. She has original paint and interior. She looks great from a few feet away, but definitely shows her age. But dont we all!!e6ada26c177658f5d6fc8c70d8e7c45d.jpg77893bb19cb2375e3ca26dc7f25fabd0.jpg4c341b45a3845930406c2c712352964a.jpg0d5e8418ecfd142874a811e588a324bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Moobie said:

I hope to close sometime January on N6952V

Andy, 

Welcome.  I own N6949V which came off the assembly line in Kerville 3 planes in front of the one you are buying.  If you haven't figured it out already it is actually a 1976 M20F by serial number even though the FAA calls it a 1975 because it was finished in December of that year. 

I just found it on Controller, Yep 76 with the 1 piece rear windows.  It has a couple more "speed" mods than mine, I only have the cowl enclosure, I flight plan for 140kts but usually see 143ktas.  I did notice that it has bladders, which can cause arguments here on MS if you haven't witnessed it yet.  But, I see it only have the 54 gal capacity...I would add the extra bags in each wing to get you back to stock capacity.  @Bob_Belville added them to his E recently if you have any questions about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Your avionics screens need to be cleaned, and they aren’t even touch screens.

Tom

But just use a cloth designed for that. So many Garmin screens have areas of  missing anti-glare because people use chemicals on them. Your 530 screen looks good with the exception of the fingerprints, which you won't even see when it's on.

You may get radio interference with those socks tho . . lol.

• Haha 1

Andy, 
Welcome.  I own N6949V which came off the assembly line in Kerville 3 planes in front of the one you are buying.  If you haven't figured it out already it is actually a 1976 M20F by serial number even though the FAA calls it a 1975 because it was finished in December of that year. 
I just found it on Controller, Yep 76 with the 1 piece rear windows.  It has a couple more "speed" mods than mine, I only have the cowl enclosure, I flight plan for 140kts but usually see 143ktas.  I did notice that it has bladders, which can cause arguments here on MS if you haven't witnessed it yet.  But, I see it only have the 54 gal capacity...I would add the extra bags in each wing to get you back to stock capacity.  [mention=8913]Bob_Belville[/mention] added them to his E recently if you have any questions about them.

Yeah I definitely want the extra fuel capacity, so that will be something I look at pretty early on. Really other than that. There isnt much I plan to change. I have to figure out exactly what to do with the adsb out which is supplied by the ads600b. I believe I need an AMOC and the GPS signal supplied by the 530 and I should be good to go. Not exactly sure how to go about that, but I'm hoping it wont be too pricey.

14 minutes ago, Moobie said:

I have to figure out exactly what to do with the adsb out which is supplied by the ads600b. I believe I need an AMOC and the GPS signal supplied by the 530 and I should be good to go. Not exactly sure how to go about that, but I'm hoping it wont be too pricey.

The ad says it already has ads-b in/out. The ads600b has an internal waas source so you should be getting traffic and weather on the Garmin 530 I would think. Dyown the road ou might think about upgrading the 530 to a 530W or an IFD540 so you can do WAAS approaches.

The ad says it already has ads-b in/out. The ads600b has an internal waas source so you should be getting traffic and weather on the Garmin 530 I would think. Dyown the road ou might think about upgrading the 530 to a 530W or an IFD540 so you can do WAAS approaches.
It has a 530w. But as I understand the ads600b cannot utilize it's own internal GPS because of some problem with it, so the FAA requires a source from an approved device. I definitely could be mistaken about this but as I have read, you have to get an AMOC to be legal to use that unit.

1 hour ago, Moobie said:

It has a 530w. But as I understand the ads600b cannot utilize it's own internal GPS because of some problem with it, so the FAA requires a source from an approved device. I definitely could be mistaken about this but as I have read, you have to get an AMOC to be legal to use that unit.

From what I saw you needed to have an AMOC already (by Jan 11 2018) or you had to disable the unit.   so this plane is probably disabled. :

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/navworx-amoc-information

If they marketed this airplane as ADSB compliant, then make them do the paperwork and wire the nav source. 

My checks of the plane on Flightaware don't show any valid ADSB flights, only center/transponder flights.    You can double check with the ADSB performance report:

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx

A clean bill of health on that report is required for 2020. 

So I would ask for the AMOC.. and the performance report.. and when they don't have them, go from there.. how can you advertise it as ADSB in/out if it was disabled?  If it isn't disabled it isn't compliant with the AD.. etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, the ppi is complete. Gene at Northwest Flyers said its definitely an "above average" maintained Mooney, which I suspected, but needed to hear from somebody in the know. He did find the control shaft AD had just come up since the last annual and the seller took care of it. The seller is checking into the ADS-B issue and has confirmed the AMOC is still obtainable, so just waiting to sort that out.  In my "limited" experience, this is turning out to be the worst part of the purchase, waiting! I'm ready to get my new bird home!! On a side note, I am having trouble finding a hangar in the ST Pete/Clearwater area. Last resort is to rent a tie down at CLW until a hanger becomes available. I am on several waiting lists with fingers crossed. I figure if I have to put her outside for a little while, this is the time in Florida since the weather is normally mild this time of year. The only other glitch is, I discovered the back up AI wasnt working properly on the test flight. The seller is handling it and sent it off to Castleberry for repair. No word on a time frame for that yet. 

Andy

• Like 1

Congrats on your Mooney purchase! I am up the road at Hidden Lake in New Port Richey. Don’t have a Mooney but do have fond memories of my Dad’s 1964 C model.

Hidden Lake is a private field but they do I have rental hangars at the North end. Not sure what the hangar waiting list status is here. Fuel is $3.70 per gallon self-serve for hangar tenants. Have a first rate, experienced IA on the field, Karl Stepka, who has maintained my airplane for 10+ years. It is a friendly, low key place but the wind can make it interesting. You can see more at hiddenlakeairport.com

2 hours ago, BKlott said:

Congrats on your Mooney purchase! I am up the road at Hidden Lake in New Port Richey. Don’t have a Mooney but do have fond memories of my Dad’s 1964 C model.

Hidden Lake is a private field but they do I have rental hangars at the North end. Not sure what the hangar waiting list status is here. Fuel is $3.70 per gallon self-serve for hangar tenants. Have a first rate, experienced IA on the field, Karl Stepka, who has maintained my airplane for 10+ years. It is a friendly, low key place but the wind can make it interesting. You can see more at hiddenlakeairport.com

Thanks BK! I am very familiar with the location. That is about 35 minutes from me in favorable traffic, I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up!