1964 M20C original paint colors and scheme

Ok - so I’m getting the plane stripped and painted - I’ve gone back and forth over this, but am leaning towards trying to get as close to factory original as I can. I’ve done some searching In here, and realize it will be hard to find out the exact paint color scheme based of serial number or tail number. I did, however, find a few pictures and color codes in the back of the spare parts catalogue.  The top plane represents the color scheme for the B and C model Mooney - year’s 61 - 64. The second page shows towards the bottom, the different color codes associated with that year range of Mooney’s. The third page is a continuation of different colors for the bottom section - trim - and so on. Being armed with this information, is there somewhere I can go to get samples of these colors (are they common enough that any paint shop will have them?). I’m not sure I like the choices of the 64 model, the 63 paint colors give more options - would it be futile to do all this work trying to get close to original - but end up using 63 color combinations because I don’t like the 64 combinations? 

Sorry - these are questions I Would just as soon as the wife, but “she doesn’t care” - just looking for input. 

Thanks yall!  

D4E9CFB7-DAC0-487C-8E6D-7F646767069C.jpeg

03796AAF-7663-4FD2-8EBB-0181F0E0BBCE.jpeg

2BA07260-C9C4-4342-A524-923E456B0A2B.jpeg

• Like 1

Hahaha good point - that’s pretty extreme but looks awesome!

im liking the 63 “gunmetal” trim color much better than the 64 “canyon gold metallic) color - plus not sure how silver blue, light emerald, or Berly blue would go with the canyon gold trim. Looks like each year had its own “trim - which also wrapped around the side windows” with several “bottom” colors. The lone trim for 63 was gunmetal - the lone trim for 64 is canyon gold metallic. 

Edited by Supercop0184

6 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

These are photos that I took from the book Those Remarkable Mooneys for an idea about the colors.

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

So the top picture is a D model, the middle picture appears to be a 64 E model, in the bottom picture appears to be a C model. I like that color scheme of that C model. That’s probably the metallic orange base with the Canyon gold metallic. 

At the 2017 Mooney Homecoming I took these pictures of the promotional brochures from a guys personal collection he had on display.  Can’t remember his name but he worked at the factory for 25 (+) years and collected all the memorabilia he could over the years.

I have a 63 so I don’t know if these work for the 64.

9C5140D1-AD01-401C-8248-AED1B84A4B14.jpeg

3752E0DD-0823-4FDB-8E39-37406A886BD6.jpeg

2 hours ago, MinneMooney said:

06D73CB7-7A02-4B28-AD31-AB0C2B29AF27.jpeg.7563d24fe2dfd3c807700f0755fb418f.jpeg

Here is a picture of the 1965 scheme. Interesting the slight changes from 1964. 

Love these colors - definitely more than I like the 64s orange bottom. One of the alternate bottom colors is a “berly” blue. Wonder if there is any way to figure out what that blue is supposed to look like....

4 hours ago, moodychief said:

At the 2017 Mooney Homecoming I took these pictures of the promotional brochures from a guys personal collection he had on display.  Can’t remember his name but he worked at the factory for 25 (+) years and collected all the memorabilia he could over the years.

I have a 63 so I don’t know if these work for the 64.

9C5140D1-AD01-401C-8248-AED1B84A4B14.jpeg

3752E0DD-0823-4FDB-8E39-37406A886BD6.jpeg

The options for 64 were different - a color called “canyon gold metallic” was used for the color around the window - then choices between an orange, silver blue, light emerald, and berly blue, were options for the bottom. I don’t necessarliy neeed to USE THESE exact colors - but I would like to get glose - I have no idea what their Berly blue looks like. 

3 hours ago, MinneMooney said:

I’ve never seen these colors.  I’m curious, where did you get the pictures?  It’s interesting, my ‘64E, which has rounded windows, is N7125U.  This looks like a C, with earlier registration, but is a ‘65.  Maybe the early square window models, were simply mods that took longer in production?  I never quite figured out the original colors on mine, but suspect it was similar to the earlier photos with red.

20 hours ago, MinneMooney said:

I've never seen that before, but I like it a lot. I have a '65C model.  N7123U shows up as a '64 model though.  Maybe built in 64 and registered in '65?  I've never seen a 64 with square rear windows.

Before doing any of this perhaps we should recall that some of these aircraft were built in the 1960s. Now the decade is known for many things, but tasteful use of colors was not one of them. Or am I the only one who remembers brightly colored shag carpet?

I suppose if the aircraft is that original than an original paint job makes sense.  That said, I feel a great swell of pity for anyone with a sixties vintage interior, and even more so for anyone with sixties vintage avionics.

Says me if I’m going to blow coin on that level I want the aircraft to look as good as it can.

Edited by steingar

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Before doing any of this perhaps we should recall that some of these aircraft were built in the 1960s. Now the decade is known for many things, but tasteful use of colors was not one of them. Or am I the only one who remembers brightly colored shag carpet?

I suppose if the aircraft is that original than an original paint job makes sense.  That said, I feel a great swell of pity for anyone with a sixties vintage interior, and even more so for anyone with sixties vintage avionics.

Says me if I’m going to blow coin on that level I want the aircraft to look as good as it can.

I think along the same lines, but I actually like the blue/gold scheme in the pic.  I'd personally go with a more modern scheme, but this one really appeals to me.  It would be interesting to see what interior color scheme came with it from the factory.  Lol

And I’m thrilled with my recent scheme/colors!  For me, I get the feeling of the vintage scheme with modern candy/ metallic colors.  We added some pearl appearance to the white also!  

Makes me happy each time I open hangar doors !  Choose what makes you happy when you open your hangar doors ! :-)

Happy New Year to you all !! 

F3AD97DE-1BAF-447D-9373-5FE50252227E.jpeg

282340B2-6CB6-418B-8A3E-FE2DEF27FC80.jpeg

Edited by MooneyMitch
  • Like 4

On 12/31/2018 at 11:31 AM, MooneyMitch said:

And I’m thrilled with my recent scheme/colors!  For me, I get the feeling of the vintage scheme with modern candy/ metallic colors.  We added some pearl appearance to the white also!  

Makes me happy each time I open hangar doors !  Choose what makes you happy when you open your hangar doors ! :-)

Happy New Year to you all !! 

F3AD97DE-1BAF-447D-9373-5FE50252227E.jpeg

282340B2-6CB6-418B-8A3E-FE2DEF27FC80.jpeg

That is a totally awesome vintage Mooney!!