Getting really close

My 2 G5s arrived today. It was a couple of days late because of being on the naughty list. Apparently when the wife says plow the driveway it's not just for her but FedEx too. I am stupid excited to get this all done and start flying but I'm starting to wonder if I should sell my engine at 1400 hrs and get a new one. I've literally done everything else except for an internal detail cleaning of the wings and fuselage. Any ideas?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
If the engine is in good shape at 1400 hours, overhauling is completely unnecessary.  Worse yet, a new engine is statistically less reliable than a 1400 hour engine in known good condition.
I guess my thinking is this plane has had all the majors repaired or replaced and the last thing is the engine. I needed this plane to work when I got it and I done nothing but fix it. So when I'm done it needs to fly. I was just trying to beat the odds.

I understand the urge, but this is a good time to apply the old “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” adage as far as the engine goes.  Statistically there are more engine failures in the first few hundred hours than in the 1000 to TBO range.  In fact I think I am correct in saying that there are statistically less failures even after TBO, there are lower odds of a failure than an overhauled engine.  If I am wrong I expect to be corrected shortly.

8 hours ago, Dream to fly said:
I guess my thinking is this plane has had all the majors repaired or replaced and the last thing is the engine. I needed this plane to work when I got it and I done nothing but fix it. So when I'm done it needs to fly. I was just trying to beat the odds.

Anyone who has bought a plane was or is in your situation at one time or another. I flying was for business in the 1990s and dispatch time was critical. If I had to endure a 6 week episode that I did recently for my brake issues, I would have been pretty beaten down by it.

Even the airlines, with their constant maintenance schedules still have things pop up and require a plane to be taken off of the line.

Once you get past the challenges you are dealing with now, it is just a matter of staying proactive on things that could give you an issue later. It’ll get better. Hang in there. You’ll look back at all of this as a sense of accomplishment and all will be a fond memory, not the agony it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marauder
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who has bought a plane was or is in your situation at one time or another. I flying was for business in the 1990s and dispatch time was critical. If I had to endure a 6 week episode that I did recently for my brake issues, I would have been pretty beaten down by it.

Even the airlines, with their constant maintenance schedules still have things pop up and require a plane to be taken off of the line.

Once you get past the challenges you are dealing with now, it is just a matter of staying proactive on things that could give you an issue later. It’ll get better. Hang in there. You’ll look back at all of this as a sense of accomplishment and all we be a fond memory, not the agony it is now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I hope so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Maybe another way to think of @MBDiagMan's suggestion is that most of the theoretical failures due to TBO are going to be long, gradual degradation in performance rather than catastrophic failures.  As such, it makes sense to wait until your engine is telling you a problem, and then wait until it's no longer tolerable.  If your cam and lifters are wearing, you'll see it in oil analyses, then engine performance as opposed to in-flight engine failure.  Obviously, this doesn't account for problems NOT caused by time-since-overhaul, but that would be a different line of thinking.

• Like 1