re-painting the panel

My mooney has a panel that has a black background - but I like the looks of the off-white color background on the modern mooneys. Anyone re-paint their panel - any idea how much it can cost? Any shop recommendations? Is it possible to do the work on my own - with A&P supervision..

Thanks,

Bodi

Powder coating is really the way to go if you want it to look best and last longest but, if you need to cut a little cost, you can just paint it.  I had one small section of my panel that was black while the rest was off white (I have no idea how that was allowed to happen by the previous owner) and it just didn't make sense to do more than paint that section.  It has held up pretty well and the color match is pretty good too.

if you look in my gallery you will see after pics. I can't post for whatever reason. I think the color you choose depends largely on the color of your interior as well. If you see the interior that I had prior to purchase you will see what I mean, I dont think gray would have looked very nice at all but the almond matched the sun bleached plastic quite well...

post-7121-13468139807849_thumb.jpg

Advice I was given by my avionics installer, who by the way is extermely reputable and highly experienced, was DO NOT powder coat the panel.  It is very difficult if not impossible, to match the color later if you make any changes to your panel.  Also it doesn't look good when you will be looking at it upclose and personal all the time while flying.  It will look like it has a permanent dust on it.  Powdercoating is a process good for the landing gear maybe that we don't look at all the time but NOT the instrument panel.  They recommend painting it using a good panel paint. They utilize a Dupont product.  I forget the details on it.

PK,

If I were to show you to pieces of metal, one that had been painted and one that had been powder coated; I doubt that you'd be able to tell me which was which.  The finishes would likely not be exactly the same, but a proper powder coat can produces a smooth glossy finish, and is far more durable.  It is true that it is not easy to match on touch up, but the same can be said for paint (unless you save a batch of the original, which will not last forever).

If the powder coat looks like it has dust in it from 16-18", it must be a really bad job of powder coating--I've seen plenty of powder coating that looks just fine.  Matching color shouldn't be a problem either; a good paint shop (probably an automotive shop) should be able to do it easily.

I don't think powder coating the panel is necessary (I painted mine when I redid it last year), but I'd think that a paint shop would be a better source of information.

Hey I'm no expert! This is why I take advice from experts!  They also said that the panel must not be glossy and reflective. For obvious reasons. It must be matte finish.  I like my black panel personally.

any idea of price to powdercoat? maybe someone can PM me?

nice pics Alex! I like the lighter color background just becuase the instruments seem to pop out at me - just my personal preference - I think secretly it makes me think I am in a later model mooney :)

I've had an aluminum overlay made for the right side of the panel.  Matched the paint to the left and had it powder coated at Ricks Powder Coating in Memphis, TN.  They charged me all of $20.  Also had the yokes powder coated.  I've very pleased with the results.  I do like a duller finish so there is less glare.  You can see a couple of pics in my gallery.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Ricks and for that price you can ship it FedEx Ground and have it back in 2 weeks.  

If your panel is plastic, I would guess you would want to use SEM paint which is what most people use on the plastic interior panels.

Barry

74657 - I am just thinking of repainting/powder coating my existing panel. I wont be changing the layout of any instruments/radios. I am going to wait until I upgrade avionics and re-layout the panel then - which wont be for a while. As for repainting - I am planning on doing it when my annual comes up in December.

bgpilot1, alex and jlunseth - i checked out your albums and the panels looks as nice as I expected. Alex I especially like your exterior silver paint scheme - I always wanted painted one silver with red accents someday ..

• 9 years later...

I'm reconstituting this very old discussion. Along with the GI-275 install that I'm doing, I'm also having a new panel fabricated and the smaller panels painted in the same color. The color will be light gray, but the shop wants to know exactly what color. Is there a standard gray that is typically used?

I would want to match other Mooney models...   to try to make mine look like something that just rolled flew off the production line....   :)

In order to pull that off... a call down to the production line may be required...

We haven’t got that phone number yet...

But we have been given this handy dandy email address...

Hi, my name is -a-... i was wondering if you could tell me what color....

PP half thoughts only, let me know if you want the tech Support email address...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

@bd32322 Just to address the original question, Mooney used two lighter colors in the modern panel.  One is called “Oyster White”, the other “Oyster Grey”.  I’m not sure if the color code but many suppliers produce it.  Take a look online and confirm that’s the color you are looking for.

On 6/18/2011 at 12:11 PM, bd32322 said:

any idea of price to powdercoat? maybe someone can PM me?

nice pics Alex! I like the lighter color background just becuase the instruments seem to pop out at me - just my personal preference - I think secretly it makes me think I am in a later model mooney :)

Probably a lot less than taking it all apart and putting it back together. Dont forget to get matching instrument screws.