M20K interior plastic source

231LV

Seems the "money machine" never tires! After dropping a considerable amount on an overhauled engine then watching my old Aerosonic split gauge MP/FF crap out necessitating an upgrade to a JPI 900 (and the associated cost), I was flying today and hit a severe "bump" in an otherwise bumpy but uneventful flight. The bump caused my head with headset to smash the top of my plastic ceiling panel into several pieces. I checked into Plane Plastics but could not find anything for K models. Either I am looking in the wrong place or they don't provide anything for the K's. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looked for some platics for my F. Found conflicting info on their website, so decided to give them a call. Was greeted by a rep who was very unenthusiastic and rather (extremely) unhelpful - contrary to what I usually hear on this forum. Wasn't able to get anywhere with them, other than - "a new website will be released in Jan/Feb that makes it much easier to locate exact parts.". Wish they participated on forums such as these. 

I had the opposite experience with Plane Plastics.  I called them 6 months ago for a part that wasn't in their online "catalog" (using the term loosely).  They were very quick and knowledgeable about the part I needed.

My bet is that your M20K part is identical to the M20J/201 part, unless you need the O2 ports.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I had the opposite experience with Plane Plastics.  I called them 6 months ago for a part that wasn't in their online "catalog" (using the term loosely).  They were very quick and knowledgeable about the part I needed.

My bet is that your M20K part is identical to the M20J/201 part, unless you need the O2 ports.

The oxygen ports are on the sidewalls of the K.

43 minutes ago, 231LV said:

Seems the "money machine" never tires! After dropping a considerable amount on an overhauled engine then watching my old Aerosonic split gauge MP/FF crap out necessitating an upgrade to a JPI 900 (and the associated cost), I was flying today and hit a severe "bump" in an otherwise bumpy but uneventful flight. The bump caused my head with headset to smash the top of my plastic ceiling panel into several pieces. I checked into Plane Plastics but could not find anything for K models. Either I am looking in the wrong place or they don't provide anything for the K's. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Even though it might be in pieces, Hector at Aero Comfort can repair it and cover it in ultraleather, It will look much better than new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Aero Comfort may be a good choice when I redo the interior planned for sometime in the future. Mine has O2 ports in the ceiling as the factory drawings plumbed them this way. I will call Plane Plastics and see what they have....if all else fails, clear Gorilla tape!

I agree. Aerocomfort does a very good job. Get it done right the first time. Hector at Aerocomfort covered my yellowed and cracked and gummy-looking plastic K-model interior with ultra leather, and did a gorgeous job. He also offered a nice fabric option. He was great to work with. Maybe you could do the interior in stages?

• Like 1

Hector is a good business man. Tell him your situation and that eventually you want a new interior and you've heard good things about him. Since the headliner pieces from Plane Plastics are about $300 each for the two pieces, to gain your future business he might just do the whole headliner for the cost of two pieces from plane plastics. Even if it was a couple hundred more, you are getting closer to your goal of getting the interior done. 

(Plus trimming and installing those pieces from Plane Plastics is not fun.

If you are handy remove the part - tape the cracked pieces back together flush with an electrical tape “splint” on the interior side, sand and clean with acetone the back smooth side of the plastic, add two layers of 8oz fiberglass with epoxy.  Front fill any remaining cracks with microbeads suspended in 2 part epoxy.  Now the tough decision .  You can cover yourself in ultrasuede/ ultra leather or ... you can knock down the texture of the entire face and repaint with SEM or krypton rattle can.   Add a clear coat for cleaning ability and durability.  

if you want to see how a part is covered this is your source for learning all things interior upholstery:

This is the same process that hector would do but would cost about $100 in materials plus your time. 

Also note that the plane plastics parts come as a dark color and need to be primed and painted regardless. 

I actually replaced all the interior plastic on my K model using Plane Plastics parts listed for the J Model. The most challenging piece was pilots sidewall which needed to be modified for O2 outlet and gauge. 

The ceiling parts are a PITA to put in but they look fine when completed 

If I were to go with recovering the panels I’d use Hector in a heartbeat. Very honest guy who does excellent work on time!

On 12/29/2018 at 4:06 PM, 231LV said:

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Aero Comfort may be a good choice when I redo the interior planned for sometime in the future. Mine has O2 ports in the ceiling as the factory drawings plumbed them this way. I will call Plane Plastics and see what they have....if all else fails, clear Gorilla tape!

You might call JD at SWTA. He used to work at Plane Plastics and still does a lot of business with them for the various Mooneys that come through his MSC. He also knows the K's inside and out. 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:11 PM, Amelia said:

I agree. Aerocomfort does a very good job. Get it done right the first time. Hector at Aerocomfort covered my yellowed and cracked and gummy-looking plastic K-model interior with ultra leather, and did a gorgeous job. He also offered a nice fabric option. He was great to work with. Maybe you could do the interior in stages?

Actually, this is what I am planning to do as Hector has been very responsive and we are working out a game plan to do things in stages. Thanks for the suggestion! BTW, here is the damage my head caused to the ceiling panel with that "jolt"...

ceiling panel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Actually, this is what I am planning to do as Hector has been very responsive and we are working out a game plan to do things in stages. Thanks for the suggestion! BTW, here is the damage my head caused to the ceiling panel with that "jolt"...

892911886_ceilingpanel.thumb.jpg.398718d8c86fe2569bd10542a00fa6e9.jpg

How many fingers am I holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

51 minutes ago, 231LV said:

ceiling panel.jpg

We call that a seat belt tightness check!