New Mooney Service Bulletin M20-335A, "seems serious"

10 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Not all of the affected TN's have a 5-year warranty.  Mine is SN 31-0130, a 2015.   It came with a standard 3-year warranty only.  It's been out of warranty since April 2018.  

Really sorry to hear that. I hope Mooney will choose to do the right thing.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, Bob_Belville said:

@Mooney_Allegro, have you checked your airframe logbook for the paint shop & A&P?

I just found out today that Corrigan Air Center, in Hondo, Texas painted my plane that's been affected by this bulletin.   I've been told that they have a really good reputation.  Personally, I've never heard of them.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

I just found out today that Corrigan Air Center, in Hondo, Texas painted my plane that's been affected by this bulletin.   I've been told that they have a really good reputation.  Personally, I've never heard of them.  

Their web site is impressive in that it is all about corporate jets and turboprops. Maybe the underside of your stabilizer is lower than their normal craft. :rolleyes: 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Their web site is impressive in that it is all about corporate jets and turboprops. Maybe the underside of your stabilizer is lower than their normal craft. :rolleyes: 

You're right!  I kept searching to find a single-engine aircraft and surprisingly there were none on their website.  Must not be their forte.

1 minute ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

You're right!  I kept searching to find a single-engine aircraft and surprisingly there were none on their website.  Must not be their forte.

Someone here will know more. They would certainly seem to have the qualifications to paint a little 'ol Mooney. I wonder if Citations, Hawkers, PC12s, etc. get their control surfaces re-balanced?

27 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Someone here will know more. They would certainly seem to have the qualifications to paint a little 'ol Mooney. I wonder if Citations, Hawkers, PC12s, etc. get their control surfaces re-balanced?

Yes they do 

brian

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Some good news, Mooney will cover my "out-of-warranty" aircraft at the earliest convenience at the factory in Kerrville, TX.   Thank you Mooney for stepping up to the plate.

Does the fact that you’re negotiating to buy a new Ultra have anything to do with that??!!  :D

Seems like "oversight" of sub-contractors may have been missing. If so, I would think from here on the factory would place a rep at the paint shop to oversee all paint jobs from here out. When we had airplanes go to Costa Rica for heavy checks we had our maintenance employee on site the entire time to verify the quality of the work. When I was in the corporate jet world companies had their maintenance department parked at the paint shop during a full repaint just for this reason.

This is not a good thing as any prudent FAA inspector will say to himself- "what other inspection items are we missing here" (in any arena not just paint)? This may open a can of worms after the shut down. 

The work BTW was very good down  in Costa Rica. 

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, EPA air permitting can be a very lengthy and expensive process. If the previous permit lapsed during the plant shutdown, the whole process may have had to be repeated. You may NOT begin a process that requires permitting until you have the permit in hand. It may have been a factor in outsourcing the painting. 

I’m so glad I retired!