Java Developer Needed

This is a pretty sharp group, so I am throwing out an off topic request. Does anyone know a good Java Developer I could hire to do some work for one of my businesses? Specifically, I have a custom web based CRM in need of modification. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, Yetti said:

None of the the cool kids use Java.  I could help you out with some COBOL.   Have not used it since 1990.

$ SET SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

PROGRAM-ID. Hello World.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

DisplayPrompt. DISPLAY "Hello World".

STOP RUN.

24 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

$ SET SOURCEFORMAT"FREE"

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

PROGRAM-ID. Hello World.

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

DisplayPrompt. DISPLAY "Hello World".

STOP RUN.

Funny enough when Continental Airlines needed to redo their outsource agreement with EDS, there were no younguns that could write the Mainframe section of the RFP.  Would not know what a 3705 controller would be needed for it were to save their life.

31 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Funny enough when Continental Airlines needed to redo their outsource agreement with EDS, there were no younguns that could write the Mainframe section of the RFP.  Would not know what a 3705 controller would be needed for it were to save their life.

Wow, you are taking me in the way back machine. I used to work for Raytheon Data Systems. We supplied almost all of the terminal hardware to the airlines at the time. You can see our equipment in the opening scene of the movie Airplane. I used to work on the Raynet system at the United Airlines data center in Littleton CO. It connected directly to the 3705 and concentrated hundreds of RS-232 channels down to the 3705 channels. If it went down, the whole airline went down. It was nerve wracking working on that thing. If you brought it down for more than a minute, you never got to come back. it took 37 seconds to boot, so if you royally screwed up, you had 23 seconds to figure it out!

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/datapro/communications_processors/C13-710_Rayteon_Raynet.pdf

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Soooo this was really not that far back.  2005 was the year.  right before the united merger.  They were still buying 3270 terminals off ebay for parts of the world that had not been converted yet.   It used to be that Continetal had the A system and all the other airlines were on the B system.  The funniest story was they went to EDS and said to develop a web intereface for the PAX.   EDS said that the web was a fad, so Continental built their own.

In 2012 we had some x.25 controllers at the pipeline that if you unplugged they were dead in several minutes.  So there was this special van that was used to move them around if you had to to a replacement.  Of course the outsource people IBM had no motivation to spend money to upgrade as long as it worked.

I can't really rag that hard on Java now that I've seen what nearly 20 years has done to .Net and the endless sprawl of packages and frameworks that have been built by people who would rather build their own than learn that what they're building is already there. It's much the same as how when lawyers figure out how to get their hands into an industry that doesn't need them, as when the corporate hoards of contractors, H1Bs, and consultants find their way into a new technology stack.