Cabin vent

During my last flight I pulled the cabin heat knob and the temperature got really nice. When I shut it down I started feeling a nice cold air hitting my hand on the trim wheel. That's how I discovered the vent is kind of chipped and even if closed allows air to come in. Any idea/solution on how to fix it? Is it even possible to find the replacement part?

Thanks!

vent.jpg

During my last flight I pulled the cabin heat knob and the temperature got really nice. When I shut it down I started feeling a nice cold air hitting my hand on the trim wheel. That's how I discovered the vent is kind of chipped and even if closed allows air to come in. Any idea/solution on how to fix it? Is it even possible to find the replacement part?
Thanks!

vent.thumb.jpg.0eee28e362a6ab817552d438d857427c.jpg

I replaced mine with a Wemac style vent. Aircraft Spruce carries them.

06596b115555ebb0d4c8bc68235b20cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, siu1526 said:

Unfortunately no. But i can imagine it being that difficult, i would imagine the hardest part would be getting that center console panel off and not messing up the trim indications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After analyzing the part it looks like the Lasar replacement has screws to hold the small vents while my part (original?) appears to have rivets...maybe I should try to drill them out, remake and replace them in aluminum...maybe a crazy thought...

After analyzing the part it looks like the Lasar replacement has screws to hold the small vents while my part (original?) appears to have rivets...maybe I should try to drill them out, remake and replace them in aluminum...maybe a crazy thought...

That sounds like a good idea too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hoot, @hoot777

There are two sources of air...

Depending on the age of your Mooney, the hardware varies....

My 65C had two slide valves that opened and closed with two push/pull knobs in the cabin....

Essentially whatever hardware you have... the control is no longer connected to the valve...

Get it connected, lubed... you will be good for another year...

Newer machines got butterfly valves with pieces of rubber that often get aged...

Take the top of the cowl off and have a look...

I bet you have slide valves that rusted, got difficult to slide, then automatically disconnected....

Is your control for the cabin air stuck? Or does it move freely?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I have the cabin vent knob pulled full open and it is moving the little door in the mix box above the co pilot rudders but no air. Plan to address on my annual.  Worst case is I do not have much defrost because of lack of air. 

So...

you have the slide gates?

They control the airflow into the mixing box...

A hose iirc delivers air to the front of the slide gate...

Sounds like somebody may have taken up residence in the hose..?

It doesn’t get any more simple than that...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, hoot777 said:

I have the cabin vent knob pulled full open and it is moving the little door in the mix box above the co pilot rudders but no air. Plan to address on my annual.  Worst case is I do not have much defrost because of lack of air. 

Defrost is a separate control--you should have valves like this on each side under the panel. First photo is the Vent position, second photo is the Defrost position. If air isn't coming out, check for a disconnected or holey hose. 

20200613_114303.thumb.jpg.25d5f0ce8c75461de025de8a11d39ee3.jpg

20200613_114311.thumb.jpg.bab9a2c25f090da6e856065a1cf0aee5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...