Looking to purchase a Mooney

mooneycat

Hi folks,

I've only got a few hours in a Mooney in the past ~8 or so years but I've always been a fan of them. I finally have saved up enough money to consider purchasing an aircraft and was looking towards a modern-ish Mooney - specifically aiming for a used aircraft with TKS and G1000 or G600 avionics.

Based upon some research on here and other locations, a pre-purchase inspection is a big part of the buying process. I've seen lots of posts talking up the value of having the Mooney Service Centers doing some of that work but I had a question: Is it possible to have them travel out to the seller and and perform that inspection? Also, are there any companies one can use where you can provide some of your requirements and then help in the search of an aircraft and do the follow up pre-inspection?

Thanks and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or if this is a bad question.

Some shops will travel to carry out a PPI, it depends on what facilities are available at the location.  Mooney specific brokers like All American and Delta Aviation know the market and can help you in your search.

Clarence

8 hours ago, mooneycat said:

Hi folks,

I've only got a few hours in a Mooney in the past ~8 or so years but I've always been a fan of them. I finally have saved up enough money to consider purchasing an aircraft and was looking towards a modern-ish Mooney - specifically aiming for a used aircraft with TKS and G1000 or G600 avionics.

Based upon some research on here and other locations, a pre-purchase inspection is a big part of the buying process. I've seen lots of posts talking up the value of having the Mooney Service Centers doing some of that work but I had a question: Is it possible to have them travel out to the seller and and perform that inspection? Also, are there any companies one can use where you can provide some of your requirements and then help in the search of an aircraft and do the follow up pre-inspection?

Thanks and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere or if this is a bad question.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you posted up. Please take a momentt and fill out your Avatar and location information. The guys (and girls) around here are a helpful bunch and a little information goes a long way. 

Yes All American is a well known broker in the Mooney world. I can’t say for sure but they don’t seem to disappoint very often. Any kind of question is welcome, just don’t poke @Marauder. It can get ugly if you do :) :) 

Welcome to the forum. Glad you posted up. Please take a momentt and fill out your Avatar and location information. The guys (and girls) around here are a helpful bunch and a little information goes a long way. 
Yes All American is a well known broker in the Mooney world. I can’t say for sure but they don’t seem to disappoint very often. Any kind of question is welcome, just don’t poke [mention=9886]Marauder[/mention]. It can get ugly if you do   

Who poked me?!

ceba909a4ebc943b3cb54e270c72cc40.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

First of all, congratulations on "saving up enough" for a modernish Mooney. That's a significant savings plan.

You can expect that purchasing a $200K + airplane to be very similar to purchasing a piece of real estate. There will be inspections, escrow, and while not closing costs, lots of other expenses that ensure the buying process goes as planned.

Talk to AllAmerican. They can provide lots of good information even if you don't buy anything from them.

I've always been a cash-only person when it comes to buying things, but I wanted a loan as a stop-gap so I wouldn't have to sell anything and pay capital gains. I managed to get a $100k loan at 4.15% over 20 years. Things started out around 5.5% and through some back and forth negotiating and utilizing what my ethnicity is reputed for, managed to get them down to 4.15%. 

• Like 2

Jimmy Garrison @ All American is a straight shooter. They’ve been around since 1991 - can’t last that long if you don’t treat people right. I have both sold and bought planes there and was treated honestly and fairly on both transactions. 

The PPI is important, but don’t expect it to catch more than deal breaker defects. Budget for lots of deferred maintenance surprises at your first annual. I think a lot of folks put too much faith in MSCs. I have used both well known MSCs and non-MSC shops. Some of the things MSCs have missed or screwed up were surprising. It really comes down to the knowledge and experience of the mechanic that works on your plane  Find a good Mooney mechanic - MSC or not - and stick with him. Best is to be directly involved (owner assist) during any major maintenance.

Good luck, it’s a great adventure. 

Skip

• Like 1

I bought from Jimmy Garrison at All American.  On that note, it's easier to move the plane to the shop, than the shop to the plane.  If you have, or know of, a great pre-purchase shop, they will likely fly the aircraft there for the PPI.  Of course, you'd be responsible for the costs, but it's worth it.  When I purchased, I had them fly it to my mechanic at my home field, with the understanding that I'd buy it if it passed.  It did, of course...

10 hours ago, mooneycat said:

Hi folks,

It's common for sellers to fly the plane out to a PPI location within a reasonable distance at the buyer's expense, but that depends on the individual seller.  If you do work with All-American, when I asked to send the plane out for a PPI at Dugosh, there were no problems negotiating this.  They do this enough they are expecting the buyer to want an inspection, as so I imagine most resale companies.

5 hours ago, INA201 said:

A lot of folks here highly recommend All American.  Give these folks a call and let them know what you are looking for. If nothing else you will develop a relationship with a well respected Mooney sales operation.

http://m.allamericanaircraft.com/

What he said.

When I was looking for a plane I also called the local MSCs and asked if they knew of any for sale. I almost bought a Bravo from a nice guy who was getting his annual at Top Gun but decided I wanted an Ovation instead. Worth a try— won’t cost you more than a few minutes. Don’t know about Seattle but there’s an MSC at Troutdale (Advanced Aircraft) and in Northern CA you have Top Gun (Stockton) and LASAR (Lake Co.), 

I’ve been to all of them for various reasons and have had good experiences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

When I was looking for a plane I also called the local MSCs and asked if they knew of any for sale. I almost bought a Bravo from a nice guy who was getting his annual at Top Gun but decided I wanted an Ovation instead. Worth a try— won’t cost you more than a few minutes. Don’t know about Seattle but there’s an MSC at Troutdale (Advanced Aircraft) and in Northern CA you have Top Gun (Stockton) and LASAR (Lake Co.), 

Troutdale is the big one in the PNW.  Mooney lists Command Aviation in Bellingham as a MSC, but I've never heard anyone mention them here?

@mooneycat I'm based in Corvallis, OR, if you want to poke around a J model, let me know and we can meet up sometime

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

That is how I found my M20F. The owner had not yet listed it. My rocket was listed as a 231 and I noticed the bump on the cowl in the ad. 

On 12/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, Antares said:

Also, it would help if you told us where you are so we could provide local recommendations as well. For higher end Mooneys, I'd check out what Premier has listed: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?PCID=1229834&dlr=1

If buying there, don’t make a bigger deposit than you’re willing to kiss good bye.

Clarence