Upgrade or Overhaul?

231LV

Recently, I was doing some practice work under the hood and noted my FF on the split gauge was reading a couple gallons too high as my JPI 800 showed the correct FF. On my way over to my mechanic  for a quick cowl check of the newly overhauled engine, I noted the FF to be reading over 30 gph with MP at 35 inches and then it started oscillating significantly. My mechanic initially thought it might be a grounding problem but could find no obvious breaks or disconnects. He now believes the FF side of the gauge may have died and will need to be overhauled. He was going to check but generally remembers a quote for another Mooney pilot of around $1700 and about 6 weeks. If this is the case, the question is now whether to spend the money for an overhauled unit or take the opportunity to upgrade more of the panel to glass readouts with a JPI EDM 900. 

My first question would be does this quote for overhaul sound realistic? How about a straight replacement unit (if one could be had). Is there a less expensive way to go here (I don't think so but maybe someone smarter than me knows) I have done some preliminary checking and it looks like a trade in of my JPI 800 plus the rebate gets the price of a unit down to around $3500 but replaces all of my engine management gauges so no more worries with 40 year old steam gauges. I'm leaning toward upgrading but would like to hear opinions for and against.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 231LV said:

Recently, I was doing some practice work under the hood and noted my FF on the split gauge was reading a couple gallons too high as my JPI 800 showed the correct FF. On my way over to my mechanic  for a quick cowl check of the newly overhauled engine, I noted the FF to be reading over 30 gph with MP at 35 inches and then it started oscillating significantly. My mechanic initially thought it might be a grounding problem but could find no obvious breaks or disconnects. He now believes the FF side of the gauge may have died and will need to be overhauled. He was going to check but generally remembers a quote for another Mooney pilot of around $1700 and about 6 weeks. If this is the case, the question is now whether to spend the money for an overhauled unit or take the opportunity to upgrade more of the panel to glass readouts with a JPI EDM 900. 

My first question would be does this quote for overhaul sound realistic? How about a straight replacement unit (if one could be had). Is there a less expensive way to go here (I don't think so but maybe someone smarter than me knows) I have done some preliminary checking and it looks like a trade in of my JPI 800 plus the rebate gets the price of a unit down to around $3500 but replaces all of my engine management gauges so no more worries with 40 year old steam gauges. I'm leaning toward upgrading but would like to hear opinions for and against.

Thanks

Last I checked there was no upgrade to the 900 or 930 but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

You're a smart guy and you already know the right answer! Just got to pay more now to save in the long-run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha....I know the answer...just wanted to hear from smarter people!

43 minutes ago, lifendet said:

Last I checked there was no upgrade to the 900 or 930 but I could be wrong. 

Ask your avionics shop to verify.  My shop confirmed last week that JPI will take my 900 in trade for upgrade to the 930.  I’m planning the last pieces of my panel makeover, so they were checking with JPI as well as Garmin on some costing and quotes before I schedule the work.

Steve

I say upgrade, the FF OH sounds steep but I can check on it if you would like.  Since the EDM800 is not “primary” and the 930 is there is usually not an upgrade path (display swap) as the 930 is only sold as a complete kit will all the sensors and transducers even though they are the same. With that being said as you stated JPI will sometimes give credit for your old display.  The long term math favors upgrading to the 930 or 900 as the O/H or replacement of the transducer and eventually fixing the other gauges will cost $.  At least that is what makes me feel better,  I always take something breaking on my plane as an “oppurtunity” to upgrade, haha.  Seriously though you will really like the 930 or 900 , they are awesome units. Please let me know if you need any more info and speak to your A&P / avionics shop about the details of the install and if they are comfortable using the existing probes to cut down on install cost.

20 minutes ago, J. mitchell said:

I am wondering if the JPI 830 is TSO’d for primary replacement of most steam gauges?  I have been offered a 4 year old JPI 830 for my Mooney for $1,500. The unit is coming out of an experimental aircraft.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

It's not.

24 minutes ago, J. mitchell said:

I am wondering if the JPI 830 is TSO’d for primary replacement of most steam gauges?  I have been offered a 4 year old JPI 830 for my Mooney for $1,500. The unit is coming out of an experimental aircraft.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

J - 

No the 830 is not approved for a primary replacement however it is still a great instrument.  Also I don’t believe installing an “experimental” unit in your certified aircraft is legal but that is between you and your A&P.

The used unit you are interested in isn’t really a good deal since I sell a NEW certified unit with all the sensors except TIT ($185) for $2,350 with the current rebate. I’d pass on the used unit.  That is for a 6cylinder, if you have a 4 it’s less.

• Like 3

I'd buy the EDM-900 from @Jeev and call it a day. I ordered mine from Spruce because I wanted to keep my dealer status with them which required a $5,000 minimum order per year. Make sure to check whether or not your 231 has pressurized mags. 

Come to think of it, I have a box full of the primary gauges that came out of my 1981 M20K (Rocket). I think the only split gauge was CDT/TIT in mine, but I have the digital FF gauge and sender. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. 

As devil's advocate, you can get EI's M-1 and FP-5L primary digital instruments for $1200 total.  I'm not sure if you can leave the old combo gauge in and mark the FF side INOP, but that would clearly be the cheapest way.

I remember seeing somewhere that the EDM-900 does come with its own sensors, but you can still use your old sensors (if compatible) and JPI will credit you.  They still recommend new EGT sensors, but it sounds like they don't insist on it.  Don't quote me on that though, I can't recall where I read that...

I've put a lot of time, money, and effort into my panel. But the one instrument I wouldn't be without and the one that gets used the most, is the EDM-900. 

Just last night crossing the mountains in the dark from SoCal to Flagstaff, having very accurate engine and fuel data was very comforting. 

I've owned two Mooneys and in both cases, the first money I spent on them was a good engine monitor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Antares said:

I'd buy the EDM-900 from @Jeev and call it a day. I ordered mine from Spruce because I wanted to keep my dealer status with them which required a $5,000 minimum order per year. Make sure to check whether or not your 231 has pressurized mags. 

Come to think of it, I have a box full of the primary gauges that came out of my 1981 M20K (Rocket). I think the only split gauge was CDT/TIT in mine, but I have the digital FF gauge and sender. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. 

Thank you Antares.  If you do decide you would like a 900 take $400 off the prices listed here: https://wolfaviationsales.com/jpi-engine-monitors#afa3ce6b-2eee-4e51-8e4a-7ab46a5fb786

JPi is running around a 10 business day build time and the instant rebates are good until 1/31/19.

Happy new year!