If you had to spend $30,000

INA201

Let’s have some fun and debate.  You’ve got a problem.  You have been given $30,000 or 30AMU and you have to spend it on your plane or in the purchase of a plane. You are limited to just 30k and can’t add to this amount nor spend any more on the  plane this year other than routine maintenance. It is a one time deal. The catch is that it has to all be spent in 6 months or less or you lose the dough. If you mess up and exceed the amount through improper planning you risk losing it all as well(kinda like The Price Is Right). You can spend less than the amount however.  Who’s first?:)

28 minutes ago, INA201 said:

You’ve got a problem. 

This sounds like a nice problem to have :)

If an avionics shop had gift cards, 30k is probably about the right increment to do some real damage.

But seriously, it depends entirely on what your plane needs. If you're totally honest with yourself, what have you deferred to tomorrow that really ought to have been done yesterday? Do that. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, toto said:

But seriously, it depends entirely on what your plane needs. If you're totally honest with yourself, what have you deferred to tomorrow that really ought to have been done yesterday? Do that. 

Agreed>

1.  PPI         Never had one so pay attention to detail at this year's annual to determine what's been deferred.
  2. Paint      Typically, a luxury so it's been deferred, but need to be wary of corrosion on exposed surfaces.
  3. AP           Not on the list until IR but if gifted, I'd take it...
  4. B Betty   Audio "Gear Down" Warning (eg.  P2 or EI-Av-17)
  5. Tow        

Lots of options depending on the aircraft.  Lousy panel?  That'd cover a pretty nice IFR GPS and install.  Lousy paint?  That'd cover a really nice paint job,a nd probably some airframe mods to boot.  Old engine?  Might be a bit too little for an overhaul unless you go to a cheap shop.  You can of course redo tanks or add bladders and have enough left over fly a bunch or possibly add an autopilot.

Of course, if your Mooney is up to snuff you could always buy yourself a really cherry tail dragger and even fix all the stuff wrong with it.

I've got a list... $30K won't cover it. But if someone gave me that amount, I'd just get a little further down the list a little quicker. 

Paint is the very last item on my list. And immediately proceeded by an interior. I want everything else to be perfect before I get there. I don't want other work to mar the paint or require the removal of the interior.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, EricJ said:

If only Richard Pryor was still alive I'd ask him.

My reaction was exactly the same...except that in Brewster’s Millions he had to spend the dough and have no residual value!

• Like 1

I’m pretty satisfied with my plane but there is always something to push for. If I could do new paint, windows, interior, and LEDs for the 30k It would be a go.  Dang, there is also the GFC500 and maybe paint too. Always fun to have a wishlist and move forward.  

Sure it's fun to upgrade the plane, but for me it's much more fun to fly it!  I'd stick to things that will keep it flying longer.

#1 Shoulder harnesses (I know... this should have been done a long time ago)

#2 JPI 900 Engine Monitor (currently no engine monitor)

#3 Fuel tank strip and reseal (weep when full)

#4 ADS-B (still haven't made up my mind between 1090 ES or 978 UAT)

#5 Instrument Rating (get the most out of this cross country machine)

#6 Whatever's left in fuel to visit friends and family

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Sure it's fun to upgrade the plane, but for me it's much more fun to fly it!  I'd stick to things that will keep it flying longer.

#1 Shoulder harnesses (I know... this should have been done a long time ago)

#2 JPI 900 Engine Monitor (currently no engine monitor)

#3 Fuel tank strip and reseal (weep when full)

#4 ADS-B (still haven't made up my mind between 1090 ES or 978 UAT)

#5 Instrument Rating (get the most out of this cross country machine)

#6 Whatever's left in fuel to visit friends and family

That's a great list.

Kind of a boring list, but I just got her panel up to where I want it for the foreseeable future:

1.  Replace those ugly crazed green side windows with grey tint with side scoop vents

2.  Pay somebody who has mad skills with leather, fabric, carpet and plastic to re-do the interior and make her look like new on the inside.  New plane smell required.

3.  Have an MSC inspect and repair everything they find

4. Put the remainder in the overhaul fund to reduce my hourly cost of operation because I pretty much like the rest of her

• Like 2