Winter getaway

Merry Christmas all.

I'm looking for a winter getaway somewhere in the southwestern US for a week or two in January or February.  We're in our 70's, so strenuous activities are out! Canadian winters are character building, but ours are built up enough.  Can anyone recommend an all-inclusive, relaxing, warm resort with great food and wine?  (a runway would be nice, too)

thanks,

7 hours ago, Chris Strube said:

I was hoping for some recommendations, not a comedy routine.

I think he was recommending palm springs, but recommending it with some comedy.
Anyhow, Palm springs is nice. So is San diego, Orange county. Albuquerque, Camarillio,
oceano, pismo beach, Paso Robles.
All good options.

If you like the city life: SD, LA, OC, and Albuquerque, and San Louis Obispo
The Beach: Oceano, Pismo beach, LA, SD, SLO
Wine: Pismo Beach, Paso Robles.
Heat: All

21 hours ago, Chris Strube said:

Merry Christmas all.

I'm looking for a winter getaway somewhere in the southwestern US for a week or two in January or February.  We're in our 70's, so strenuous activities are out! Canadian winters are character building, but ours are built up enough.  Can anyone recommend an all-inclusive, relaxing, warm resort with great food and wine?  (a runway would be nice, too)

thanks,

L'Auberge de Sedona.

Completely pampering and priced accordingly.

The Phoenix and Tucson areas have hundreds of resorts that will give you what you want. Plus plenty of fellow Canadians to hang out with.

Palm Springs is always fun, especially if you like those fun fellows singing show tunes in the cabarets down town!

Sedona is a bit cold this time of year, well by Phoenix standards anyway. 

BTW, it is supposed to hit 72 today.

Sorry I can't give you exact recommendations, I never go to the resorts here because I live here. Google knows all about them.

You should wait for February, winter is over by then and the weather is fantastic!

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

Desert wildflower blooms are amazing if you want to wait a bit. 

I’ve  been to Sedona in Feb it was pretty.  I’m not much into magic rocks.  

Used to live in Socal- temps and climate are pretty consistent in the winter.  Plenty to do.  San Diego also nice in the winter.  

Looking for a peaceful getaway or something faster paced?

Looking for peaceful, and not overpriced.  I looked at Sedona, as we've enjoyed it before, but the cost is prohibitive.  A beach atmosphere would be perfect.  I have 2 e-mails that confirm my choice of the Texas gulf islands, and we'll be going there in February.  I hear that it's known as the "redneck riviera" so we'll fit right in!

Jay Hoenik (sp?) over on POA owns a hotel at Port Aransas / Mustang Island on the south Texas gulf coast. Rooms have aeronautical themes, and he makes deals for fellow pilots. Don't recall name of his hotel, rebuilt after the recent hurricane. 

Edited by Hank

18 minutes ago, Chris Strube said:

Looking for peaceful, and not overpriced.  I looked at Sedona, as we've enjoyed it before, but the cost is prohibitive.  A beach atmosphere would be perfect.  I have 2 e-mails that confirm my choice of the Texas gulf islands, and we'll be going there in February.  I hear that it's known as the "redneck riviera" so we'll fit right in!

I’ve considered going there on vacation. Looking forward to a report.

49 minutes ago, Chris Strube said:

I hear that it's known as the "redneck riviera" so we'll fit right in!

That is actually the panhandle of Florida.  The gulf coast of Texas is a different beast.  Port Aransas was one of our favorite places when we lived in the Corpus Christy area.  The beaches won't be crowded this time of year.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, Hank said:

Jay Hoenik (sp?) over on POA owns a hotel at Port Aransas / Mustang Island on the south Texas gulf coast. Rooms have aeronautical themes, and he makes deals for fellow pilots. Don't recall name of his hotel, rebuilt after the recent hurricane. 

Amelia's landing.  The Fulton Harbor Inn at Rockport (10-15 miles north of Port A) is good, too.  Also consider South Padre Island (not N. Padre which is adjacent to Corpus Christi and Port A 120 miles north) .Has the best beach and tons of good restaurants and bars.  The LaQuinta hotel is beachfront and reasonably priced.  No hurricane damage in this area. If you go to So. Padre visit Nuevo Progresso, Mexico.  Only safe border town I know of.  There are always 100's of Canadian and midwestern snowbirds having a good time there.  

Have fun!

• Like 1

I don't know where Florida's claim to being the location  of the Redneck Riveria comes from but Larry Joe Taylor (a popular local singer who sometines plays the Back Porch Bar at the marina at Port A) has a song describing the Redneck Riveria as running  from Port A (Aransas) to Port B (Bolivar-Across the ferry from Galveston).  Some might question why that would be a coveted label in the first place.

Edited by mooneyflyfast

On 12/21/2018 at 3:45 PM, Chris Strube said:

White Stallion Ranch in Tucson. The Marana airport (KAVQ) is just a few minutes away and it is a nice, all inclusive dude ranch. Great meals are provided and the weather in Tucson is phenomenal in January and February with amazing scenery.

https://www.whitestallion.com

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Hilton Resort in Tuscon.    I really wanted Tuscon to have dirt streets and gunfights at noon.   We found the Senora desert thing to be entertaining.

We struggled to find good seafood in Port Arthur.  This was pre hurricane.   Rockport is more permanent retirement.  There are three airports in close proximity.  We landed at Cambell Porter (ingleside) and rented a car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

We enjoyed the Hilton Resort in Tuscon.    I really wanted Tuscon to have dirt streets and gunfights at noon.   We found the Senora desert thing to be entertaining.

Tucson.

Of course there's more than one Hilton in Tucson but I'm guessing you're referring to the El Conquistador.

https://www.hiltonelconquistador.com

That's pretty close to 57AZ.

There are dirt streets in Tucson, you just have to know where to go. The house I just moved out of last week (lived there 18 years) was down a dirt road.

The gunfights are mostly in South Tucson and best viewing time is from 1AM - 4AM Saturday and Sunday mornings.

The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is phenomenal. Highly recommended to anyone that comes out this way.

http://desertmuseum.or

On 12/23/2018 at 10:48 AM, Chris Strube said:

Cris, hook up with @rocketman He has a number of beach homes and condo's in Panama City Beach. They will need the tourist $CDN to help them overcome the devastation from Hurricane Michael. If Ron has anything available, he will treat you right as he his one heck of a great person and one of my besties.

He may have already donated his properties to FEMA, I dont know, but worth exploring with Ron.

If you venture this far south, give me a ping. I would love to hear the speedbird imitation of the Korean flight once more :)

• Like 1

If the stars align, we've decided to go to Port Aransas (KRAS), and stay at Amelia's Landing.  We'll leave Lillooet BC (CYLI) around Feb. 15, and hope to be home by March sometime.  I'll post a review.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chris Strube said:

If the stars align, we've decided to go to Port Aransas (KRAS), and stay at Amelia's Landing.  We'll leave Lillooet BC (CYLI) around Feb. 15, and hope to be home by March sometime.  I'll post a review.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Happy New Year

You're gonna be that close for that long... come meet us in Llano, Fredericksburg, Lockhart, San Marcos, Austin, New Braunfels, or any number of other places were you might enjoy the best BBQ you've ever had. Any of those will make a nice lunch run from Port A, for a Mooney. We'll round up 3 or 4 other Mooneys and meet you there.

Use to fly up to Mustang Island (KRAS) for lunch a bunch but haven't been there in a while, there is a tram that runs and goes by the airport, use to be $0.25 to ride. I'm more partial to South Padre Island, but I was born & raised down here