Fuel prices in Europe

NotarPilot

The skydemon app which is the most popular in Europe for vfr pilots has pretty up to date avgas prices, if you pull up the skydemon plate for an airport you will normally see an avgas report that is pretty recent.

Generally and for a strange reason France is pretty much the cheapest for avgas, and is the most GA friendly environment, about 1.89 euros a liter  compare to Italy  where it can be up to 2.6 a liter, Germany , Poland  and the Czech republic about 2.4 euros, down around the Adriatic you can get down to around 2 euros a liter again and some beautiful islands to fly to.

The channel islands off the coast of france you can get 1.4 a litre, Belgrade you can get tax free at about 1.2 a litre

also if you feel comfortable you can buy super 98 (94aki) in Europe which has etbe instead of ethanol and it works fine, but you can only buy that at Austrian airfields and in certain countries at forecourts - about 1.45 a litre

• Like 1

Problem in Europe is there are so many disjointed (and many dysfunctional!) governments with different ideas on taxes and luxuries that there is a vast variation, and that is before you get into exchange rates!

Cheapest tends to be in the Channel Islands (a bit over GBP 1 per litre, about USD5 per gallon), but it can be depressingly easy to stumble across EUR 3.5 a litre (USD 15 per gallon)

The Flyer forum has some prices (but very UK biased) at https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=33 ,

Tom and Alex used to maintain https://tmdg.co.uk/misc/fuel.php but I see that's not had an update for a year or so 

Personally I get such a good deal at my home base (club fuel, for members only) I tend to tanker enough to do my return trip as much as possible, but where I have to purchase away, I'll refer to SkyDemon (which is the "Foreflight for Europe" type app)

On 12/23/2018 at 2:21 PM, Awful_Charlie said:

Problem in Europe is there are so many disjointed (and many dysfunctional!) governments with different ideas on taxes and luxuries that there is a vast variation, and that is before you get into exchange rates!

Cheapest tends to be in the Channel Islands (a bit over GBP 1 per litre, about USD5 per gallon), but it can be depressingly easy to stumble across EUR 3.5 a litre (USD 15 per gallon)

The Flyer forum has some prices (but very UK biased) at https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=33 ,

Tom and Alex used to maintain https://tmdg.co.uk/misc/fuel.php but I see that's not had an update for a year or so 

Personally I get such a good deal at my home base (club fuel, for members only) I tend to tanker enough to do my return trip as much as possible, but where I have to purchase away, I'll refer to SkyDemon (which is the "Foreflight for Europe" type app)

That's where the Long Range Tanks can help pay for themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

That's where the Long Range Tanks can help pay for themselves.

yeah....  I am looking forward to some free flying later this week.  Home airport KPTD $4.97/gal.  KRME 88 mi, 28 min, and $3.63 away, and a lovely 11821 ft runway....  I have 30 gal out of 102 left in my tank.  So I figure fly down there, fill up and fly back is cheaper than just dragging it out of the hangar with the tug, filling up at home and dragging it back into the hangar.  (Wear and tear not included...but hey I need to fly the thing sometimes or it corrodes!).  So one more hour in my log book and a lovely hour + outing on a white-bright-winter's day - free.

Edited by aviatoreb

When flying in europe i suggest you suscribe to sky demon GPS software that you can download to your IPAD. It will give you very useful information including pilot reports on fuel and landing fee infromation. Also very useful is to have Air BP card available at many airports in europe. Fuel prices vary from about 2€ per litter in France & east europe to 3€ in other countries Germany, Spain, Italy... Philip

• 3 weeks later...

That's a lot of good info, thanks!

On 12/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Looks lome @Awful_Charlie beat me to it.  Skydemon or runway hd give the fuel prices of most ga airports in the UK and western Europe, france, holland rtc. Spain is a nightmare regulations wise to fly into but a pretty placce to visit.  

The one thing i would say is dont come across and think it is like the usa it isnt.  Dont then go saying it needs to change to how the usa does it, it doesnt. :)   

Hi Andrew, I'm curious about your last comment.  I surmise you believe European GA does some things better than in the US?  I'd be curious to hear (read) your thoughts on that.  I would love to fly my plane around Europe someday but I doubt it'll ever happen.

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi, no I was not saying we do things better, in fact I would say that we gold plate regulations and things of a similar nature, just seemingly for the hell of it, after all FAA regs work well so why do we need to make them more complicated, but we do.

My comment was made purely to say that we do things differently, they are not better, not worse, just different.  There is a wonderful video of a young lad form the USA flying a C210 around the world and the section where he flies in the UK is quite enlightening.  Have a watch and you will see why I said what I said.  :)

I think I’ve seen some of the videos if it’s the three young lads crossing the pond.  I think the tail number was N210EU.  I’ll have a look today.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'd like to pick up this discussion, since I've developed a website to serve the purpose of worldwide fuel price information. www.av-fuel.com
It incorporates many features that can be found on other websites or apps, but no other has them all. www.av-fuel.com is free to use, no sing-in or subscription required, map view, worldwide coverage, usable on all platforms as web-app, optimized for mobile devices … among others.

The site has not been online for long, and, therefore, is far from complete. However, there are many prices in Germany and South Africa implemented and the project is expanding. The site is based on user input, like many other. I’m currently in contact with fuel suppliers to realize automated fuel price updated for at least a good portion of airports.

I hope you find the site helpful and us it yourself in the future. Of course I’d appreciate your support on regular price updates and if you miss an airport in the database, send me a message.

Happy fueling!

• Like 2

A good baseline on fuel prices in Europe is Total's Avgas pump rate in France. France has one of the more active GA scenes, and fuel prices are relatively low by European standards, although very expensive by US one. Current price has come off quite a bit, April as in the link below was 1.94,  now it will go to 1.64euro a litre from 1 May = $5.65/US Gal

https://www.total.fr/mes-deplacements/aviation/carte-air-total-france

Total supplies most of the airfields in France and you get a flat rate with their card, and self serve at a lot of places. UK prices are about 10%-15% more expensive on average (my last UK invoice in March was £1.92 per litre around 2.15 euro), German and Spain +33%, Netherlands and Italy +50% just as a ballpark, local pilots feel free to correct. 

As you can see from the link, Jet A1 is much cheaper (lower tax), hence the relative popularity of Thielert/Austro diesel engines, and mogas alternatives (particularly in NL and Germany), and also why the ultra light / LSA segment is booming. 95 unleaded in France is around 1.40 euro a litre / £1.20 in the UK so at least a third cheaper. 

• Like 1

Odd pricing in the US this month...

Auto gasoline is currently priced around $1.80 for a gallon... approximately 4 liters...

Fuel storage Facilities are very full.

Corona virus has people staying home more.

Best regards,

-a-