Trutrak replacement for KFC200 on the cheap

I have a GTN 625 (no vor/ils) and a KNS 80. I have a remote switch which makes it possible to display GPS or VOR/ILS data on my KCS 55--works fine and the KFC 200 will fly GPS or ils approaches.

I learned yesterday that my KFC200 needs at least $4,500 in repairs to be fully functional. I have decided against repairing the KFC200 and will be looking into a Trutrak or one of the other new APs. If I remove the KFC200 and add a Trutrak I should be able to keep my KI 256 (FD wouldn't work) and my KCS 55 (AP heading bug wouldn't work). The new AP wouldnt track a vor or fly an ILS but I could hand fly it if desired. Hopefully, the only cost involved would be the Trutrak and installation-no new indicators or converter boxes.

Does anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?

50 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

I have a GTN 625 (no vor/ils) and a KNS 80. I have a remote switch which makes it possible to display GPS or VOR/ILS data on my KCS 55--works fine and the KFC 200 will fly GPS or ils approaches.

I learned yesterday that my KFC200 needs at least $4,500 in repairs to be fully functional. I have decided against repairing the KFC200 and will be looking into a Trutrak or one of the other new APs. If I remove the KFC200 and add a Trutrak I should be able to keep my KI 256 (FD wouldn't work) and my KCS 55 (AP heading bug wouldn't work). The new AP wouldnt track a vor or fly an ILS but I could hand fly it if desired. Hopefully, the only cost involved would be the Trutrak and installation-no new indicators or converter boxes.

Does anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?

You are giving up some capability with the Trutrak. Before you spend a dime, call Bob Weber @Bob Weber

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=152259

Yes, that should work.  Here are some things to consider:

1.  The TruTrak (TT) will maintain altitude and track your GPS course.  Should remove a lot of your workload enroute and while being vectored for an approach.

2.  While it is capable, it is not yet legal for the TT to fly an instrument approach, not even an RNAV.  However, in an emergency you can do whatever you think is best to get safely back on the ground.

3.  TT does not have an electric trim option.  However, you should be able to keep the electric trim from your KFC200 unless that is the part that has failed.

4.  Assuming it is a servo that has failed (like our pitch servo did), your KFC200 flight director will still work.  I use it all the time.  While I have no autopilot, I use the FD portion to assist in flying an approach.  You could use the TT for enroute and the FD for the hand flown approach.

5.  Since the TT has its own independent AHRS, if your ADI fails, the TT should still do just fine flying the airplane.  So if I were IMC when the ADI failed, and assuming I'd tested the TT approach capabilities while VMC, I would let the TT fly me to my point of landing including flying the approach if need be.

We are in the same boat as you, $4000 to repair the pitch servo and servo mount (according to Autopilots Central).  We have decided to install the GFC500 once it is available because we want an electric trim that does not rely on a BK servo that would cost us who knows how much to repair when it finally dies.  As the old Fram commercials used to say, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

If that is the repair for just the KC-295 flight computer it seems excessive.  

Tach generator on the pitch servo.(has spikes) $1010.00

Mode controller $648

Computer  1 diode, 25 capacitors, 2 ics  $2,700

I have a spare KC 295 which I think is good except the alt. board  Would you be interested in checking out both to see if we could cobble one good one from the two?

The problem was alt. hold  Rest of the system worked fine.  Probably was a mistake to send the mode controller and pitch servo.

7 minutes ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

Well if you have 2 KC 295 flight computer you could possibly make one good one out of the two if they are the same dash number.  I would have to check specifics on board compatibility. If you have any questions just give me a call.

Both -05s I believe. I'll give you a call.

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

2.  While it is capable, it is not yet legal for the TT to fly an instrument approach, not even an RNAV.  However, in an emergency you can do whatever you think is best to get safely back on the ground.

Is it not legal to fly an approach down to 700 agl with the Trutrak?  I thought I had seen that somewhere.

Also, the Trutrak is more capable than the KFC 200 in some ways  Like GPSS, alt. select and rate of climb /descent.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Is it not legal to fly an approach down to 700 agl with the Trutrak?  I thought I had seen that somewhere.

Also, the Trutrak is more capable than the KFC 200 in some ways  Like GPSS, alt. select and rate of climb /descent.

Here is a quote from their AFMS:

"3.8. Other Limitations
This autopilot has not been evaluated to meet certification requirements for coupled
instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore coupled
instrument approaches and procedures are not authorized without further
approval."

Yes, it is more capable in some ways than the KFC200.  And it is great alternative if you are looking for something to ease the workload during a cross country flight or while approaching your destination so you can load and review the approach while the autopilot flies the plane for you.  It's just a matter of what you want out of an autopilot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Here is a quote from their AFMS:

"3.8. Other Limitations
This autopilot has not been evaluated to meet certification requirements for coupled
instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore coupled
instrument approaches and procedures are not authorized without further
approval."

Yes, it is more capable in some ways than the KFC200.  And it is great alternative if you are looking for something to ease the workload during a cross country flight or while approaching your destination so you can load and review the approach while the autopilot flies the plane for you.  It's just a matter of what you want out of an autopilot.

I’m personally not in the camp that cares about that right now.  It’s capable, people do it all the time, and trutrak is currently testing it.   IMO it’s just a matter of time.