Looking for a mooney cfi willing to travel

N1994Y

So Jeff left today to go back to Cincinnati area. That was a very grueling 2 weeks! But so worth it. All I have is my solo time written test and check ride, after the last 2 weeks I do believe I can accomplish anything! I’m sure a this rigorous training plan I wanted isn’t for everyone, but I believe with the right people both student and CFII, it’s a sound and great way to do this. I am so comfortable in my bird and was able absorb more and forget less. 75 landings in 2 weeks! 27 hrs of flight time. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So an update if anyone cares! lol. I have 150hrs in my Mooney, I’m ready to take the written. Took a pilot buddy up for a mock check ride, he thinks I’m ready. I feel ready! Hopefully I won’t fail the written, I really suck at remembering acronyms! And the practice tests, well let’s just say WTF! Asking the same questions in a multitude of different ways just to trip you up! I fly everyday to stay sharp and be completely comfortable in different situations. On to the testing!

Edited by N1994Y
  • Like 4

Nothing like memorizing the various trip-up questions... classic testing for 1970s style learning...

Fortunately the written test doesn’t require a 100% to get past... errr... passed... :)

The real flying knowledge and skill come from actually performing in the aircraft...

Make it happen!

Good luck,

-a-

7 hours ago, N1994Y said:

So an update if anyone cares! lol. I have 150hrs in my Mooney, I’m ready to take the written. Took a pilot buddy up for a mock check ride, he thinks I’m ready. I feel ready! 

Does this say that you're a student pilot that flew with another pilot as a passenger and this was not a flight instructor ?

2 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Does this say that you're a student pilot that flew with another pilot as a passenger and this was not a flight instructor ?

He said he flew with a pilot buddy; not even how many hours. So long as the friend was acting as PIC, nothing improper, although, unless the friend was a CFI, N1994Y had nothing loggable from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

He said he flew with a pilot buddy; not even how many hours. So long as the friend was acting as PIC, nothing improper, although, unless the friend was a CFI, N1994Y had nothing loggable from it.

Was the pilot buddy named on the insurance policy or did he meet the OPW ? Without being a CFI I wonder how the pilot buddy determined that the student is ready for the check ride ? The Mooney almost certainly doesn't have right side brakes and we have no idea if the pilot buddy has ever flown from or can control the airplane from the right seat. We have no idea if the pilot buddy is qualified to fly the Mooney, complex endorsement ?

This does not sound like a good thing.

Edited by KLRDMD

... We have no idea if the pilot buddy is qualified to fly the Mooney...

Honestly, it’s none of our business.

From a regulatory perspective, unless your name is in his logbook, what do have to worry about? If, instead, your name is in the logbook, then I’d expect you would be handling any questions in a more professional manner.

As for insurance, it’s not always safe to assume one carries insurance. Even if they do, unless the policy is available for inspection, clauses and riders are in force are simply speculation.

I tend to assume positive intent even, when to an experienced or jaundiced eye, it may not look that way.
  • Like 1

Part of our business it keeping the less knowing pilots from doing something accidentally bad.

The challenge with written posts, is there is plenty left for interpretation.

Were not all perfect writers...  and we read things differently all the time.

94Y gave an update of his status... he has been coming here for advice from day one... his day one.

As long as everyone is open to communication everything works like a well oiled machine...

As far as it being our business or not... if you see something that could be weird... Feel free to speak up..!

What we don’t want to do is err on the conservative side, and assume somebody knows what they are doing...

The challenges...

• It can be tough to not be overly accusatory...
  • It can be tough to absorb the advice... 94Y has been adsorbing lots of advice over time...

It is all positive intent... even when it doesn’t sound positive to everyone...

Nothing feels worse than being silent... then having something happen.  Thinking, ‘I could/should have said something...’

Welcome to the new millennium... it is absolutely normal when...’you see something, say something...’

Coming From two well respected CFIs... that advice is on the money!

There are probably a whole bunch of PMs flowing in as well...

When you say something that can be interpreted in different ways... your friends want to keep you going the right way...

Why do friends do this for each other....?  I don’t know... they just do. :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI or therapist...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Was the pilot buddy named on the insurance policy or did he meet the OPW ? Without being a CFI I wonder how the pilot buddy determined that the student is ready for the check ride ? The Mooney almost certainly doesn't have right side brakes and we have no idea if the pilot buddy has ever flown from or can control the airplane from the right seat. We have no idea if the pilot buddy is qualified to fly the Mooney, complex endorsement ?

The pilot buddy has 8,000hrs. Commercial pilot, single engine land and sea, multi land and sea, citation jet, and is our companies pilot for our pc12. N212mf. I have 150 hrs in the mooney, 100 of those being solo, I’m pretty sure I know how to stop it without having brakes on the right side! As far as insurance goes he is on my policy, but who cares, my CFII wasn’t on it. If we crashed I lose my plane, done. It’s not like I’m going to crash into someone’s house all my flight time is over open ocean. 

13 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Hey midlifeflyer, I’m from eastern nc. Will be doing the semi retirement thing back there in a few years. I live on 66nc, a private grass strip just east of kinston. Will be definitely be looking for other Mooney nuts once I’m back there. 

17 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

All good questions. Named or OPW? Mooney experience? First, we don't know. Second, if not, it  is  one of those "acceptable risk" issues. 

No complex endorsement? Well yes, if the friend acting as PIC did not have the endorsement, there was probably a a violation.

How can a non-CFI tell? That's an excellent point. Choice not to be a CFI doesn't automatically mean lack of knowledge or the ability to assess skills. I've met more than one experienced pilot who were better than many CFIs. 

Your post and mine may be suffering from the same lack of knowledge. Mine assumes things were at least legally proper. And I probably misread yours to assume things were not.

5 hours ago, N1994Y said:

Hey midlifeflyer, I’m from eastern nc. Will be doing the semi retirement thing back there in a few years. I live on 66nc, a private grass strip just east of kinston. Will be definitely be looking for other Mooney nuts once I’m back there. 

Not too far. I'll look forward to it.

But I'm not sure I qualify as a true "Mooney nut." Yeah, I fly them and teach in them, but it's not an exclusive arrangement. I cheat. :D