Looking for a mooney cfi willing to travel

N1994Y

1 minute ago, N1994Y said:

Not yet, I’m going to call a guy named Dan from one of the first replies, I’ve been waiting to see what and who pops up here! 

Dan's a good guy, and has lots of time in a C. Search here for the story of his final flight in it, due to a muffler crack leaking CO . . . .

On 12/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, thinwing said:

Adam...one thing you should do as a new aircraft owner is decide how you are going to prevent corrosion.Looks like you are located right on the water and your prevailing easterly winds carry a lot of salt laden moisture.If you don't have a hangar,little things like parking facing away from the wind,frequent washing and waxing,covers and Use of Boeshield ,corrosion x etc during annuals can help.Talk to some of the seaplane mechanics at Seaborne to find out how they deal with the salt spray on their twin otters.

Yes, I’m aware of the corrosion issues here! Lol, I personally take care of my baby, and have the a&p’s check off everything I do. I open her up every 90days and clean and corrosion x everything. I think my wife may be a little bit jealous of how much attention I give that bird! I’ve even changed all the cotter pins on all the control ends because they were looking a little crunchy.

• Like 1

Adam

I am a Mooney instructor/ferry pilot and Mechanic up in Cincinnati, ohio area.  I speak Mooney fluently, having owned a 201 for 18 yrs. flown and wrenched on all models .  I think I would be able to help you out.  58, semi retired and single so I could fit your requirements.  Also familiar with Virgin Islands as I have a friend who owns a charter  bus down there.  If you are interested in discussing, feel free to contact me at phone/email below.

Best Regards,

Jeff Schnabel

CFII, MEI,ATP, A&P

513-484-0604

schnabel79@gmail.com

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 6:44 PM, N1994Y said:

Hi, I’m looking for a cfi to train me for my ppl, in my mooney m20E. I live in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands. The couple cfi’s here are frankly a little scared of the mooney! I actually had to show one how to fly it! That’s scary! Lol. But seriously, I’m 53, have prior experience 30 years ago only light sport. and have flown my bird about 20 or so hours total. Flew it here from Florida in April as well. At the rate I’m going now it’ll probably take me 1to 2 years to get through this! I want to hit it like a full time job and knock it out in a few weeks. I think that’s possible. Just need the right trainer. I own a home here, a mile from the airport, have a guest room, I would offer, airfare, room and board plus your hourly rate and a car to drive when not training. The perfect candidate would be single, or at least be willing to be away from home for the time, easygoing type. But serious while training. I would be taking time off work for this so we would work out a schedule so you would have free time to explore the island and have personal time as well. Or we can just grind on it and get it done, I’m flexible and hope you would be as well. If interested get in touch. Phone is best for me and fastest. 252-671-1250. Name is Adam.

Siunds like a movie plot. You know the kind, all looks good on the surface, but there is a sinister sub plot perxulating in the shadows. 

Okay Adam, what's truly going on!!!!!!!!

:).:) 

16 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Siunds like a movie plot. You know the kind, all looks good on the surface, but there is a sinister sub plot perxulating in the shadows. 

Okay Adam, what's truly going on!!!!!!!!

:).:) 

Lmfao! No sinister plot here! Just want to be able to fly in mooney style! And I don’t want it to take years to do it. First off I can’t afford that, and I ain’t getting any younger! Unfortunately or fortunately, I live in a place with few options, so, trying this out!

• Like 1

Thank you all, for your interaction on this post. I believe I found my CFII! I spoke with 2 very qualified guys, and Jeff has a bit more time to allow for my needs. I’m very excited to start this new year out with a great goal of getting my ppl, and getting to enjoy my bird. September 2017 we were hit with 2 cat 5 hurricanes Irma and Maria, every structure was damaged, every utility pole snapped. A week before the first storm every flight was booked, you couldn’t get off this island! Unless you had your own plane... That will never happen again with the mooney, I’ve been through a lot of hurricanes, but 1 cat 5 let alone 2 in two weeks, I’m done! I’ve been wanting to get back into aviation and those storms tipped the scales for me. Imagine 200+ mph winds and rain in your living room, with you in it. Not fun. A little long winded, sorry. This is the main reason for my post, to get this done before another one of these storms decides to stop by. Updates to come on my progress, we start in February.

• Like 2

So tell me, who are you working with? Prior to me living in the tropics, I would have entertained this gig, but now, its just another day in paradise for me. 

Irma chased me from my home in FL all the way to Memphis, where I hunkered down with @neilpilot and his bride. Mooney's make for great getaway vehicles, plus if you have the right insurance, they will buy your gas.

• Like 2

Even in Central Jersey we skip town and visit nice places like Chicago...

You get really good at pinpointing weather details...

Keep in mind, you might run into a crowd flying IFR.  Getting into the IFR system, ATC had me headed toward the eye of a storm I was trying to fly away from...  :)

The IFR Mooney makes a great escape vehicle... just don’t wait too long to get going...

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

So tell me, who are you working with? Prior to me living in the tropics, I would have entertained this gig, but now, its just another day in paradise for me. 

Irma chased me from my home in FL all the way to Memphis, where I hunkered down with @neilpilot and his bride. Mooney's make for great getaway vehicles, plus if you have the right insurance, they will buy your gas.

Jeff schnabel is going to come down from Cincinnati, which is going to be perfect, he’s a also a A&P with loads of mooney experience, and no one here has ever worked on one. So he’ll be able to give the bird a look over as well. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, time for an update! The Mooney master Jeff Schnabel from the Cincinnati area is here on island, we had a great first day training in 1994Y, until we broke it! Well not really. Had an intake gasket go bad, changed them all out on second day. And today had a great training day! Jeff is a fantastic trainer! This is exactly what I needed here! Already have 12 landings down, slow flights, steep turns, touched on vor work, and will do some hood time tomorrow for ifr. Already signed off on complex. There was so many naysayers about training for my ppl in the mooney, but it is the best decision I’ve made. I already knew I loved my bird, but being able to handle it and control it makes me love it even more. Can’t wait to see what is to come for the rest of the 2 weeks Jeff will be here for

MOONEY FRIGGIN ZOOM!!

• Like 4

IFR gets better...

• When you know your plane really well...
  • When you don’t need to wear some funny view limiting device on your head...  :)

Keep up the good work!

The pics look great.

How is your brain working?  Any overload issues? Getting tired early? Sleeping really well after that?

You get to know your brain pretty well in the process.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

IFR gets better...

• When you know your plane really well...
  • When you don’t need to wear some funny view limiting device on your head...  :)

Keep up the good work!

The pics look great.

How is your brain working?  Any overload issues? Getting tired early? Sleeping really well after that?

You get to know your brain pretty well in the process.

Best regards,

-a-

Has been a few brain overload issues! Lol, not really getting to tired. We’re doing about 3 hours a day in the air. This weekend starts the full moon so we’ll do our day flights followed by some night flights and get that knocked out. Night flying here is really pitch black with nothing but ocean, and I’m not going to fly at night anyway so going to do it with the moon. As far as getting to know my brain, well that’s pretty scary in its own right! Lol. But yeah I know what your saying. 

42 minutes ago, N1994Y said:

Night flying here is really pitch black with nothing but ocean, and I’m not going to fly at night anyway so going to do it with the moon.

Nights over the water are as close to flying IFR in VMC as you can get.  Not much for your eyes to rely on.  Gets even worse over calm water that can reflect the stars...now up and down look the same.  The moon will help, staying close to islands with lights will as well.  

Enjoy your training.

On 2/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, N1994Y said:

Coming into tist 

72AAE613-5ACE-4E65-A350-2EF080975D50.jpeg

Adam,

I spent nearly 4 hrs yesterday clearing snow.  Tell Jeff he owes me a beer for stepping up and taking my place:).

In all seriousness, I'm glad things are working out and Jeff is able to spend some real time with you getting this done.  Keep the pictures and progress updates coming!

Cheers,

Dan

3 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Adam,

I spent nearly 4 hrs yesterday clearing snow.  Tell Jeff he owes me a beer for stepping up and taking my place:).

In all seriousness, I'm glad things are working out and Jeff is able to spend some real time with you getting this done.  Keep the pictures and progress updates coming!

Cheers,

Dan

Hey Dan, Jeff said thanks for allowing him to step in!

• Like 1