Looking for a mooney cfi willing to travel

N1994Y

Hi, I’m looking for a cfi to train me for my ppl, in my mooney m20E. I live in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands. The couple cfi’s here are frankly a little scared of the mooney! I actually had to show one how to fly it! That’s scary! Lol. But seriously, I’m 53, have prior experience 30 years ago only light sport. and have flown my bird about 20 or so hours total. Flew it here from Florida in April as well. At the rate I’m going now it’ll probably take me 1to 2 years to get through this! I want to hit it like a full time job and knock it out in a few weeks. I think that’s possible. Just need the right trainer. I own a home here, a mile from the airport, have a guest room, I would offer, airfare, room and board plus your hourly rate and a car to drive when not training. The perfect candidate would be single, or at least be willing to be away from home for the time, easygoing type. But serious while training. I would be taking time off work for this so we would work out a schedule so you would have free time to explore the island and have personal time as well. Or we can just grind on it and get it done, I’m flexible and hope you would be as well. If interested get in touch. Phone is best for me and fastest. 252-671-1250. Name is Adam.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, N1994Y said:

Hi, I’m looking for a cfi to train me for my ppl, in my mooney m20E. I live in St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands. The couple cfi’s here are frankly a little scared of the mooney! I actually had to show one how to fly it! That’s scary! Lol. But seriously, I’m 53, have prior experience 30 years ago only light sport. and have flown my bird about 20 or so hours total. Flew it here from Florida in April as well. At the rate I’m going now it’ll probably take me 1to 2 years to get through this! I want to hit it like a full time job and knock it out in a few weeks. I think that’s possible. Just need the right trainer. I own a home here, a mile from the airport, have a guest room, I would offer, airfare, room and board plus your hourly rate and a car to drive when not training. The perfect candidate would be single, or at least be willing to be away from home for the time, easygoing type. But serious while training. I would be taking time off work for this so we would work out a schedule so you would have free time to explore the island and have personal time as well. Or we can just grind on it and get it done, I’m flexible and hope you would be as well. If interested get in touch. Phone is best for me and fastest. 252-671-1250. Name is Adam.

I just passed this along to a CFI I'm working with right now. He's single and ready to go. He'll give you a call in the morning. He's been flying my Mooney and knows it well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, N1994Y said:

Sounds like you already have quite a bit of experience already.The flight to St Thomas from Florida should have knocked off your cross country requirements Than and there.I assume you had another instructor or pilot on that flight as you were crossing an adiz.Did you say you have a light sport license?Cant imagine it taking more than a week to get the pp maneuvers down.I see you only have one DPE based on island and another in Puerto Rico.Your Mooney should be perfect tool for island hopping

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

Sounds like you already have quite a bit of experience already.The flight to St Thomas from Florida should have knocked off your cross country requirements Than and there.I assume you had another instructor or pilot on that flight as you were crossing an adiz.Did you say you have a light sport license?Cant imagine it taking more than a week to get the pp maneuvers down.I see you only have one DPE based on island and another in Puerto Rico.Your Mooney should be perfect tool for island hopping

Hey thin wing, thanks for the reply, I only had a pilot with me on the flight from Florida, so couldn’t log it and my light sport is long gone! I can’t even find records of it with the faa, I guess it got purged, who knows! It has been 30 years. So I’m starting from scratch.☹️  But yes I do have very rusty experience, and the mooney is a lot more unforgiving and agile than the j cub I flew back in the day! Plus a whole lot more pretty gauges to stare at now! Lol. I’ll probably take my check ride in the states, the doe here is a nice enough guy, but.... I didn’t buy his overpriced unflyable mooney C, and bought mine way cheaper and better and an E model. So there’s a little resentment there! It is what it is! I’ll just solo it to the states for the check ride. 

8 minutes ago, N1994Y said:

Hey thin wing, thanks for the reply, I only had a pilot with me on the flight from Florida, so couldn’t log it and my light sport is long gone! I can’t even find records of it with the faa, I guess it got purged, who knows! It has been 30 years. So I’m starting from scratch.☹️  But yes I do have very rusty experience, and the mooney is a lot more unforgiving and agile than the j cub I flew back in the day! Plus a whole lot more pretty gauges to stare at now! Lol. I’ll probably take my check ride in the states, the doe here is a nice enough guy, but.... I didn’t buy his overpriced unflyable mooney C, and bought mine way cheaper and better and an E model. So there’s a little resentment there! It is what it is! I’ll just solo it to the states for the check ride. 

Got it...I thought you were talking about a light sport license ,that didn't exist until 2005 I believe.Ok...you are pretty much starting from scratch.Three weeks start to finish ,flying everyday is doable I guess ,I've just never heard of anyone getting a pp in that time.Good luck

It will be amazing how much of the prior skills come back easily...

How much come back slowly...

How much didn’t exist at all...

So much has changed beyond flying around the airport environment...

Nav equipment has been completely superseded twice since then...

communication requirements have changed with icao inclusion...

And all of the airspace has been re-defined...

All of this can be a quick study... or a long drag... depending on your cog skills...

Don’t be surprised in the first couple of days... rebuilding the muscle memory of flight takes a few days... when you have taken only a year off from flying...

Balance the enthusiasm, the work, and the disappointment.... there is going to be a lot of areas to cover... your brain is going to run out of energy... throw in some rest and start over the next day...

Learning how to fly again will give you the feeling of what it is like to be a human being... not always perfect, but gets better with effort!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

It will be amazing how much of the prior skills come back easily...

How much come back slowly...

How much didn’t exist at all...

So much has changed beyond flying around the airport environment...

Nav equipment has been completely superseded twice since then...

communication requirements have changed with icao inclusion...

And all of the airspace has been re-defined...

All of this can be a quick study... or a long drag... depending on your cog skills...

Don’t be surprised in the first couple of days... rebuilding the muscle memory of flight takes a few days... when you have taken only a year off from flying...

Balance the enthusiasm, the work, and the disappointment.... there is going to be a lot of areas to cover... your brain is going to run out of energy... throw in some rest and start over the next day...

Learning how to fly again will give you the feeling of what it is like to be a human being... not always perfect, but gets better with effort!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

there definatly is a lot more to it! i never used radios before, and nav was compass alone.. but was only ever 50 miles at most from airstrip. the biggest for me is the radio work, and the airports we use here are all international airports, pretty intimidating.. the good news to me is i took a completely un studied for ground school practice test last night, didnt answer any of the trip planning questions or ones requiring a mathmatical equasion to be figured so just the multiple choice questions, got through the test in 15 minutes and got 50% for the whole 60 question test. so a lot of the stuff is still loged in a cavity of my head somewhere!! lol. been doing some flight training in a piper warrior, and having an issue with the slow speed on final and floating a lot with the cross winds. i like my mooney a lot better, in that i fly it to the runway so to speak, 90-91mph, on final bleed the speed and set it down at 70. the warrior is 65/70 on final and setting down around 45/50. i'm just hoping to find someone that can get me proficiant and safe in my bird, the rest will be doable from my end. i have a trainer here now, but he's not comfortable training in my mooney and he wants to rent his plane. but he'll give me my solo stamp for mine if he feels i'm good to go. so thats what i'm trying to do. no need for me to get a ppl, in a warrior, to then get in my mooney un prepaired..   

A question. Have you thought at all about getting your certificate in something other than your Mooney?

There tend to be lots of opinions on whether one "should"  based on the characteristics of both Mooneys and student pilots, but I mention it solely as a possible alternative given your current situation. Even having someone come there, there's a difference between the time commitment for a short transition and for a full private certificate, so it might be more efficient from both a time and cost perspective.

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

A question. Have you thought at all about getting your certificate in something other than your Mooney?

There tend to be lots of opinions on whether one "should"  based on the characteristics of both Mooneys and student pilots, but I mention it solely as a possible alternative given your current situation. Even having someone come there, there's a difference between the time commitment for a short transition and for a full private certificate, so it might be more efficient from both a time and cost perspective.

^^^ This.  It might be annoying to have just bought a Mooney and then train in something else, but if you are rusty, you need ANY stick time, not necessarily Mooney time.  The transition could come later, and who knows, if you find a local instructor that works out, he/she may become more comfortable with training you in the Mooney once they judge your skill level.

Sorry, @DanM20C, I wasn't trying to ruin your opportunity to get out of the snow and ice :P

• Like 1

No disrespect to anyone, but I just don't see any reason not to learn to fly in the M20E that he already owns. Never mind the legality of the long expired LS certificate, the OP once upon a time, knew how to fly. Those skills get rusty but it's nothing like starting from zero. He's also got quite a bit of recent time in the Mooney already.

I think the plan is a good one. Get an instructor to come down to the islands for a couple of weeks and knock it out. You'll be just fine with the Mooney.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

No disrespect to anyone, but I just don't see any reason not to learn to fly in the M20E that he already owns. Never mind the legality of the long expired LS certificate, the OP once upon a time, knew how to fly. Those skills get rusty but it's nothing like starting from zero. He's also got quite a bit of recent time in the Mooney already.

I think the plan is a good one. Get an instructor to come down to the islands for a couple of weeks and knock it out. You'll be just fine with the Mooney.

Neither do I. I just think choices are a good thing.

Adam...one thing you should do as a new aircraft owner is decide how you are going to prevent corrosion.Looks like you are located right on the water and your prevailing easterly winds carry a lot of salt laden moisture.If you don't have a hangar,little things like parking facing away from the wind,frequent washing and waxing,covers and Use of Boeshield ,corrosion x etc during annuals can help.Talk to some of the seaplane mechanics at Seaborne to find out how they deal with the salt spray on their twin otters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I read his post more carefully,I think his flying experiences 30 years ago was as a student pilot using a third class medical and logbook endorsement flying cubs which today can be classified as light sport aircraft.So assuming logbooks are long gone,medical data purged ,he is ,by the sound of it ,starting from scratch.Average logged hours for a PP are trending now at about 70 hrs.(that's about what it took me)Not knowing what he has now logged...I'm guessing a minimum of 23 working days at an almost unheard of 3 flight hours a day.Adam ,I'm not saying you can't do this in 3 weeks time (3x7=21days)but you and a single instructor ,with you occasionally have to deal with work and him wanting time off from a 7 day grind ,being able to accomplish  that would impress the hell out of me!

On 12/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, midlifeflyer said:

I have thought about and am training in a piper warrior now, but It makes more sense to me anyways to spend the money in my bird even if takes a 100 hours than to rent the piper at 165.00 per hour wet, get my ppl and transition into mine I’ll still be at around 100 hrs but at only the cost of the cfi, not his plane as well. Besides I am more used to mine now, the trainer has even asked me if I’m checking out after take off, and on finals. To which I told him no, I’m paying attention, just sitting here waiting to get to altitude after take off and waiting to land! I’m actually kind of bored in the piper. It’s hard to go from a Ferrari to a VW. 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:20 PM, thinwing said:

I read his post more carefully,I think his flying experiences 30 years ago was as a student pilot using a third class medical and logbook endorsement flying cubs which today can be classified as light sport aircraft.So assuming logbooks are long gone,medical data purged ,he is ,by the sound of it ,starting from scratch.Average logged hours for a PP are trending now at about 70 hrs.(that's about what it took me)Not knowing what he has now logged...I'm guessing a minimum of 23 working days at an almost unheard of 3 flight hours a day.Adam ,I'm not saying you can't do this in 3 weeks time (3x7=21days)but you and a single instructor ,with you occasionally have to deal with work and him wanting time off from a 7 day grind ,being able to accomplish  that would impress the hell out of me!

I agree it will be a hard grind, I would even be satisfied with getting to my solo stamp which my trainer here will do if I show him I can do it in my bird. I can get the rest done here my buddy who is a pilot that flew it home with me has taught me a lot in it but it’s all unloggable time.and he’s a way better pilot than a teacher, plus we’re friends so that can strain a friendship. And he has 3 jobs already,  a seaplane gig, a firefighter, and a national guard duty! So his time is limited.