231 v 252 v 262

Gatlin Gun

Oops...

I should have been more specific...

What region of the world are you in currently...?  :)

If you had to pick your favorite state or province to work and live in... which would it be?

Do you have a schedule or timeline laid out yet? As far as transition from the military goes...

Wondering if MS should have a section for job postings... similar to a section of planes for sale...

This is getting to be the fun end of the curve... a decade ago it was all doom and gloom... nobody was hiring anybody, while the economy contracted... when an aviation job came up, somebody would post a link...

Either way... we have that 1/3 of commercial pilots that may know somebody that has a position opening up somewhere at some time...

Best regards,

-a-

32 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Gatlin Gun if you'll populate your avatar with some location information, either city or airport, I can put you on our MooneySpace Map and send you a link. This way you can see who of us is close by and where to find other Mooney enthusiasts. 

And go from forum-flying to possibly getting a ride in some different variants to help firm up your understanding of each.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

We were all there... feel free to keep asking questions... :D

Agree with this statement, I am on my third Mooney in 24 months. Most people hear that and freak a little: it’s not because of bent metal.

I started with an (NA) M20F, but without my IFR and pricing avionics, I decided it would be better to upgrade airframes to an  GPS WAAS capable bird to get my IR. So, I bought a well oiled mid/high time 231 with a proper autopilot and avionics. Great bird.

Got my IR in the 231 and flew the pants off of it. I think in 12 months I logged over 350hrs.

Then, I found (for me) the holy grail. A true 252 Encore with 1150 of useful load with a low time engine: my forever bird. I jumped on it as there were only like 37 produced, and not looked back.

My advise is to find the nicest, most expensive bird you can afford and don’t look back. I was lucky in that the transitions did not cost me a lot (loss) to move up because I bought the very best I could afford at the time and when I sold, they brought near what I paid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you were Military and fine with using masks, I'd say get the 252. If you don't like The higher teens, I'd stick with a 201.
Climb rate with a 201 is pretty decent up to about 8K feet, and after there slowly fades. We went with an 310HP Ovation
and I still see around 7 to 800ft per minute at 11k Feet. More gas, but a little bit faster. I usually see 185 knots WOT at 10k burning
around 15ish. Both the J and K are great models. I'd look at the 1990 model K 252's cause those are legible for the Encore Upgrade.
The newer J's are really nice too.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2018 at 11:06 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I can't really speak to this. All I know is that the 262 still only has one alternator and can't be converted to an Encore with the increased gross weight.

Also the 262 is a third party STC conversion of the 231 (like a Rocket) whereas the 252 is a factory Mooney model.

Indeed.  I have had a 231 Trophy 262 that has dual alternators.  Second one is belt driven.