Speaking of ILS

gsxrpilot

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would assume any ground area that’s dry with high thermal mass would do that, including a rocky mountain.

The point is that humans can increase the thermal mass through anthropogenic activities, thus affecting the weather.  The photos are very simple proof of the latter.

34 minutes ago, steingar said:

Anyone who really doesn't believe humans can affect the weather should see those.

Watch the gliders circling over a large paved surface area gaining altitude...

Sure, the weather is effected by human life...

I wouldn’t be in a rush to give up my paved surfaces.

I also wouldn’t give up my concentrated cities either.

Nature has a tendency to effect the weather in much more powerful ways...

Sit through a hurricane or thunderstorm if you want to see nature in a naturally destructive way.   Weather that makes excess heat from a city, look pretty small in comparison.

I wouldn’t block the sun either, even though it causes thunderstorms, tornados, and hurricanes, ruins paint and causes skin cancer....

These pics don’t show the effects of smog, ozone, and smoke that are being decreased every day... or wild fires that  can be either natural or man made....

Great pics. There must have been very little wind at the time... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Steiny, Great MS word of the day...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthropogenic

Not quite as useful or yummy as yesterday’s lagniappe...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagniappe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Not quite as useful or yummy as yesterday’s lagniappe...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagniappe

I didn't see that.  A cool new word.  Neat!  One of the screensavers on my computer trolls the dictionary for words to flash on the screen.  So far the best ones have been cymric and whilom.

23 minutes ago, steingar said:

Regrettably it is far larger than you might  think.

I have no idea how you would come to that conclusion.  If this is some sort of veiled global warming/climate change/??? statement then okay.  That's a different conversation altogether.

38 minutes ago, smccray said:

I have no idea how you would come to that conclusion.  If this is some sort of veiled global warming/climate change/??? statement then okay.  That's a different conversation altogether.

With apologies, I've met lots of people both on the internet and in person who deny any kind of climate change.  There are far more who accept that the world is warming, but deny that humans could possibly have anything to do with it.  I have heard more times than I could easily count that humans cannot affect the weather, no less the climate.  The photo that started the thread is simple proof that humans can indeed affect the weather.

55 minutes ago, steingar said:

With apologies, I've met lots of people both on the internet and in person who deny any kind of climate change.  There are far more who accept that the world is warming, but deny that humans could possibly have anything to do with it.  I have heard more times than I could easily count that humans cannot affect the weather, no less the climate.  The photo that started the thread is simple proof that humans can indeed affect the weather.

I think doing a search for "flat earth international conference" on YouTube will produce some idea of numbers.

• Haha 2

Good grief, @gsxrpilot posts some very cool pictures and this devolves into a debate about climate change? What would have made this thread a lot more enjoyable is if it was followed up by people's experience actually flying approaches like that (something I have never done but always love reading more about), or something semi-related to aviation.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Good grief, @gsxrpilot posts some very cool pictures and this devolves into a debate about climate change? What would have made this thread a lot more enjoyable is if it was followed up by people's experience actually flying approaches like that (something I have never done but always love reading more about), or something semi-related to aviation.

Its an internet forum.  Things go the way they go.  If you don't like it you don't have to look at it.

37 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

18 minutes ago, alextstone said:

I love these pics and the concept of skill combined with technology allowing for precision landings.  I have no opinion (on this forum anyway) as to outside issues like climate change.

Forgive me for skirting the edge, but I should point out the concept of climate change DOES have a significant connection to aviation, almost by definition.  Not that it has much to do with the @gsxrpilot's pictures, I admit

Its an internet forum.  Things go the way they go.  If you don't like it you don't have to look at it.

True, but you didn’t have to post what you posted either. But like you said it’s the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@gsxrpilot, please thank your brother for the great shot out his FO’s window.  The -700 is a little Ferrari, and one of my dad’s favorite airplanes when he was testing it at Boeing before SWA became the launch customer.  Fascinating to think that many of our Mooneys are becoming (or are) equipped well-enough to fly approaches potentially down that low...albeit not legally.  Amazing how technology has advanced...

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1