GDL-39, Bad Luck or What!?

Peter Rejto

Yesterday I took my '78 J to an Avionics shop in Sydney, Australia with an intermittent encoder to my GTN650. On the flight to the shop my GDL-39/Garmin 695 showed traffic as it has for a few years. After 6 hours labor to replace a faulty CB and ca AU$900 poorer I flew home with the GDL not functioning at all. Not happy! The "pass through" function works as I can still display flight plans from the GTN650 on the 695. This leads me to believe that the data pin is working fine, and the 695 software indicates "connected" to the GDL-39. Traffic data is enabled on the 695. I pulled all the wiring behind the panel and all the original and formerly working connections appear intact.

In a failed attempt to determine if the fault is in the GDL or the 695 I downloaded Garmin Pilot Android and even though I can connect my phone via bluetooth to the GDL-39 I cannot find a way to connect from Garmin Pilot to the GDL-39. It "sees" the GDL-39 and offers a connect option that fails after about 20 seconds with a message to 'check bluetooth settings." But, as already mentioned I am paired with the GDL-39. Very frustrating to say the least.

I suppose the unit may have failed. I can think of no reason for such convergence of bad luck. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Peter

N201CM

EDIT: One thing I didn't try was to disconnect the wired connection to the 695 before trying to connect via bluetooth. Although the phone paired OK (with the 695 connected) would this prevent Garmin Pilot from connecting?

Edited by Peter Rejto

Yesterday I took my '78 J to an Avionics shop in Sydney, Australia with an intermittent encoder to my GTN650. On the flight to the shop my GDL-39/Garmin 695 showed traffic as it has for a few years. After 6 hours labor to replace a faulty CB and ca AU$900 poorer I flew home with the GDL not functioning at all. Not happy! The "pass through" function works as I can still display flight plans from the GTN650 on the 695. This leads me to believe that the data pin is working fine, and the 695 software indicates "connected" to the GDL-39. Traffic data is enabled on the 695. I pulled all the wiring behind the panel and all the original and formerly working connections appear intact.
In a failed attempt to determine if the fault is in the GDL or the 695 I downloaded Garmin Pilot Android and even though I can connect my phone via bluetooth to the GDL-39 I cannot find a way to connect from Garmin Pilot to the GDL-39. It "sees" the GDL-39 and offers a connect option that fails after about 20 seconds with a message to 'check bluetooth settings." But, as already mentioned I am paired with the GDL-39. Very frustrating to say the least.
I suppose the unit may have failed. I can think of no reason for such convergence of bad luck. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Peter
N201CM
EDIT: One thing I didn't try was to disconnect the wired connection to the 695 before trying to connect via bluetooth. Although the phone paired OK (with the 695 connected) would this prevent Garmin Pilot from connecting?

What is showing on the Connext page of Garmin Pilot? I would check to see if the GDL-39 has the latest firmware. It won’t be the first time that firmware needed to be upgraded to make a Garmin product to work again.

18c5b1074aa70d76ca4f0b79e5293b1a.jpg

d4dde81347f090bd17707321c79ceb0f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro