What is the correct autopilot computer dash number- KFC 200

I sent my  KC 295 autopilot computer to a well known shop for repairs.  They are saying it is the wrong dash number for my 81 M20J.  As i understand they are saying it should be p.n. 065-0034-15.  From what I have found it should be a -13.

There is also a question as to the correct adapter board. Mine is a -23 but they feel that it should be a -66.

Can anyone help me with a definitive answer as to the correct part numbers?

I sent my  KC 295 autopilot computer to a well known shop for repairs.  They are saying it is the wrong dash number for my 81 M20J.  As i understand they are saying it should be p.n. 065-0034-15.  From what I have found it should be a -13.
There is also a question as to the correct adapter board. Mine is a -23 but they feel that it should be a -66.

You might try looking on the Bendix King website to see if any of the original STC paperwork exists for the legacy autopilots. I know when I had my STEC installed in 1998, it came with a stack of paperwork denoting all of the components installed and their version/revision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

If you are doubting your well known shop's answer, why not ask another well known shop for verification? Any particular reason you have to doubt your shops response, or are you just checking to see if they know what they are doing?

Hi Mike,

Let me help you understand why i am questioning the shop's advice and why I put the question to the group.

The computer and adapter board have been in the airplane for the 20 years I have owned it and have worked fine.  Nothing in the logs shows the computer as being changed.

Another well known shop worked on the computer 8 years ago and didn't question the propriety of the computer or the adapter board.

The current shop says my equipment is proper for an F, which we know is practically the same as a J.

The -15 computer they say is proper is shown on the only application chart I could find fits only a Beech Queen Air.

Said chart shows nothing for an F but a -13 for a J.

There are very knowledgeable avionics guys who follow this forum and I am hoping one of them knows the answer or can look it up for me.  I would find it awkward to ask a shop to offer free advice contradicting another shop's advice.

Thanks, that makes sense.

1 minute ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Hi Mike,

Let me help you understand why i am questioning the shop's advice and why I put the question to the group.

The computer and adapter board have been in the airplane for the 20 years I have owned it and have worked fine.  Nothing in the logs shows the computer as being changed.

Another well known shop worked on the computer 8 years ago and didn't question the propriety of the computer or the adapter board.

The current shop says my equipment is proper for an F, which we know is practically the same as a J.

The -15 computer they say is proper is shown on the only application chart I could find fits only a Beech Queen Air.

Said chart shows nothing for an F but a -13 for a J.

There are very knowledgeable avionics guys who follow this forum and I am hoping one of them knows the answer or can look it up for me.  I would find it awkward to ask a shop to offer free advice contradicting another shop's advice.

Thanks, that makes sense. I was making the assumption that the AP had been replaced at some point and reflected such in the logs if the shop is now calling it out as the incorrect one for the airframe. Perhaps Bob Bramble can help you shed some light on what you should have. It is interesting that your avionics shop would call what the factory installed as incorrect if it has not been changed out or installed as aftermarket, which your logs should show along with an STC search as Cris pointed out. Your AML might shed some light as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Not saying this is gospel, but Southeast Aerospace has this document on their website. Page 2 of 2.

image.png.f8ec0d40bc4042329f0f05033530d1eb.png

8 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Not saying this is gospel, but Southeast Aerospace has this document on their website. Page 2 of 2.

image.png.f8ec0d40bc4042329f0f05033530d1eb.png

Thanks.  

Yes, I found this online too,  but I don't think it is correct.  

I am hoping someone has a parts book or something authoratative from King.

Thanks.  
Yes, I found this online too,  but I don't think it is correct.  
I am hoping someone has a parts book or something authoratative from King.

I looked on the BK site to see if they posted their STC eligibility. Unfortunately not. It looks like they keep this information under tight wraps and I suspect only the authorized distributors have access to it.

I would find another BK dealer or reach out to Bob Bramble as Mike suggests to check the eligibility lists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@mooneyflyfast

What is going wrong with the AP?

Assuming you have the right parts installed... (it used to work properly)

What functions still work?

What functions don’t work any longer?

There are many discussions regarding AP failure around here...

many are related to parts wearing out, like servo clutches and motors...

Others include pictures of capacitors escaping their hold downs...

Best regards,

-a-

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

@mooneyflyfast

What is going wrong with the AP?

Assuming you have the right parts installed... (it used to work properly)

What functions still work?

What functions don’t work any longer?

There are many discussions regarding AP failure around here...

many are related to parts wearing out, like servo clutches and motors...

Others include pictures of capacitors escaping their hold downs...

Best regards,

-a-

Everything worked except the alt hold  It would start running the elevator down when engaged. No final report yet but they did find a fault in the pitch servo (repairable) which could cause this. Apparently the pitch board in the computer is OK   Good news since that is $$$$$$.  

Edited by mooneyflyfast
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Everything worked except the alt hold  It would start running the elevator down when engaged. No final report yet but they did find a fault in the pitch servo (repairable) which could cause this....

The pitch servo sends a signal to the computer to request a trim force change.  The computer then commands the pitch trim servo motor (not the pitch servo...) to run.  A fault in the pitch servo force sensor is commonly the cause of run-away trim.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

The pitch servo sends a signal to the computer to request a trim force change.  The computer then commands the pitch trim servo motor (not the pitch servo...) to run.  A fault in the pitch servo force sensor is commonly the cause of run-away trim.  

Actually the trim doesnt run.  The AP causes rhe conrtol yokes to continuously go forward. The up/down rocker on the mode contriller doesn't stop it   It is not following the flight director bars  

• Like 1

Im not familiar with the term IPC.  Is this referring to the part of the pilots operating handbook where optional equipment is listed with weights and moments for weight and balance?  If so, I doubt that full part numbers of equipment would be listed, probably just model number.  thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look next time I am at the hangar.  Fortunately it is a moot question at this point.

Edited by mooneyflyfast

• 4 weeks later...

Mooneyflyfast, could you tell us where you sent the computer? I am about to remove mine along with the controller and send it out for repair. All functions are normal with the exception that it does not announce a disconnect. Additionally, when using the test mode neither the tone or light functions.. 

14 hours ago, rotorman said:

Mooneyflyfast, could you tell us where you sent the computer? I am about to remove mine along with the controller and send it out for repair. All functions are normal with the exception that it does not announce a disconnect. Additionally, when using the test mode neither the tone or light functions.. 

Ill just say that I got it back from the original place and it is now at Bevan in Wichita.  No report from them yet.

15 hours ago, rotorman said:

Please let us know how this works out for you.

I received a call yesterday from Jake at Bevan. My equipment (pitch servo, mode selector, and computer) are fixed. The total cost was about half of the estimate from the other shop. They received it on Monday and it was fixed by Friday.  I am very satisfied and highly recommend this shop.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, mooneyflyfast said:

I received a call yesterday from Jake at Bevan. My equipment (pitch servo, mode selector, and computer) are fixed. The total cost was about half of the estimate from the other shop. They received it on Monday and it was fixed by Friday.  I am very satisfied and highly recommend this shop.

Thanks for that follow up. I spoke to Jake about my KFC200 problem and I will be sending him the computer and the controller for repair.