My Mooney M20b Adventure

1 hour ago, AndyRad said:

Hey everyone!

I am new to mooneyspace,  and I wanted to get to know the other m20b owners to here there experiences. I was also wondering if anyone had a service manual for it id like to read up about my systems?

I am fascinated by this model and would be interested in reading all the posts. Keep them coming. :D

Okay so a little about my mooney. She is a 1961 M20b She just had an interior done two years ago and is a pretty well documented aircraft. I bought it from a friend who bought it last year and got his flight time with it and is now flying with the regional airlines and didnt have time for it anymore. We got it and it had to have an ifr inspection andt a pitotstatic test done when we got it. We flew it to to its hanger had an electrical failure. its annual is due in december and so far is kinda having problems. i need to get into comm reserch and lern this thing inside out before i fly it.

Very nice looking Mooney!  There is a poster here that goes by Animalmover.  He flew into my airport about a year ago and is based in the Marshall, Texas area.  He’s a great guy and has a beautiful example of a B model.  He has a helpful nature and would probably enjoy hearing from you.

Enjoy!

Hey thanks for posting everyone,

So half the annual is done and here is the damage.

Front landing gear needs to be replaced- looking to be about $1900.00

Needs new lines and hoses- $400.00

New Alternator belt- $250.00

No Electrical problems found, comms work great no bugs found looks to be electrically sound.

Has a very minor weep in fuel tank left side. Said to wait till overhaul- got about 600 hours till overhaul.

So looking around 45-5000 this year in expenses and I will be saving up to recondition the tanks next year.

I was told this is a very clean and good Aircraft and I should never sell it. So not to bad for it first annual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, animalmover said:

Welcome!

First off thanks to MDBiagMan for the nice words. I have owned my B for a little over 10years and fly around 70+- hours a year. I’d be happy to help with anything I can.  Feel free to pm me. 

Chris

I've had the privilege to ride in @animalmover's M20B and I can attest that it is a really sweet bird.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:41 AM, carusoam said:

If you never sell it...

it becomes a loyal forever-plane...

It is much easier to spend long term dollars on a forever-plane...

Got any training lined up?

want some suggestions?

Best regards,

-a-

Carusoam! I am always looking for ideas and suggestions. I do have some training lined up! I am doing a rotor transition to fixed wing in my Mooney. Going to put a lot of hours in her this year hoping to fly around 200. Doing my Instr endorsement first!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, into the annual!

looking at a new front landing gear gonna run me about 1900

hoses and tubing 200.00

reastat-?

alternator belt tightening-100.00

and annual 1500.00

looking around 5000.00 For everything trying to get it up and running before Febuaury.

She needs a lot of work but itll be worth it is a bit.

also doing tanks at the overhaul in 600 hours.

Its a lot to take in but I am commited to my mooney.

2 hours ago, AndyRad said:

Okay, into the annual!

looking at a new front landing gear gonna run me about 1900

hoses and tubing 200.00

reastat-?

alternator belt tightening-100.00

and annual 1500.00

looking around 5000.00 For everything trying to get it up and running before Febuaury.

She needs a lot of work but itll be worth it is a bit.

also doing tanks at the overhaul in 600 hours.

Its a lot to take in but I am commited to my mooney.

Why new front landing gear? Almost everything about the gear is renewable unless it’s corroded.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, AndyRad said:

Hey everyone!

I am new to mooneyspace,  and I wanted to get to know the other m20b owners to here there experiences. I was also wondering if anyone had a service manual for it id like to read up about my systems?

Welcome -

Great looking airplane - I bought my C three years ago - Wasn't sure of my long term plans until about a month ago - Doing tank reseal with weapnomore in May - Paint later this year with Jeff at at paintyourplane.com. quoted me an excellent price. When I get to engine overhaul (Im right at 2000 hours and going strong) I will look at Jewell Airvcraft Engines as well as JB Aircraft Engine Service.

Definitely a close knit group here - don't worry about covering your tail number - its plastered on the side of your airplane in big characters for all to see. 

Good luck and ask any question you have. You will get a wealth of information here.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spike Kavalench

Welcome! I bought an M20B Rayjay turbo equipped plane about a year ago, love how it flies! Thanks for starting this thread, glad to know I’m not the only B model owner! :) C-FGUS is based out of Langley BC. 

6 hours ago, Spike Kavalench said:

Welcome! I bought an M20B Rayjay turbo equipped plane about a year ago, love how it flies! Thanks for starting this thread, glad to know I’m not the only B model owner! :) C-FGUS is based out of Langley BC. 

Saweeet! We are doing repairs to my old girl right now i am hoping to have her together by feb!

• 1 month later...

Welcome,

We have had our B for 15 or maybe more years, and I love it! If you have any questions, let us know, I know we will be happy to help if we can. @Spike Kavalench I would love to know what your numbers are with the RayJay installed on your B. I flight plan for 135 kts, at 11 to 12 gph, anywhere between 3k and 6k feet. I can get up higher do better with the fuel burn but my trips are usually not long enough to justify. Higher than average fuel burns to keep cylinder head temps below 400 normally around 380. We have had it up to 17,500 (took a while to get there even starting at 7,600ft) to go nonstop from KPSO to KARM (730nm), and landed with 45 mins  worth of fuel on board. 

All this to say the B is a very versatile platform and a great plane. Keep us updated on any upgrades or fun trips!!