Adding a JPI 900 on the cheap

skydvrboy

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, skydvrboy said:

Can you elaborate on this?  I can certainly see the advantages of cutting a new panel for the left side especially, since I will be considering it done once the JPI is installed.  However, it seems it would be a nice to have rather than a need.  Does the panel have to come out to install the JPI 900 or could it be added without removing the panel?  Bottom line, what would the price delta be for cutting and installing a new left side panel in both parts and labor?  I could see how the upcharge for replacing the panel could be less than the hit one would take on the value for having a franken-panel.  As for the right side, I still have more I'd like to do to it, so I think cover plates would be the way to go until I'm ready to make the rest of the changes.

Personally, I think new Al panel(s) is a way to go with changes you want to do.

You could install JPI through that instrument hole but you would then remove the old instrument and have blanked space where the old gages are, etc. It goes same for the RHS.

Cost can be substantial if you leave this to the shop but if you could do it yourself with IA’s supervision and keep panel shape (contour) the same as now. That would eliminate any trimming of the backup structure needed for LASAR panel upgrade (and similar) and simplify the installation.

Panels itself would not be expensive to make. I’ve ordered LHS and RHS panels from www.bigbluesaw.com for around $220 (both) and they have their own design tool but I didn’t use (I’m design engineer and have access to better).

Price for powder coating turned out to be $100… The rest is your labor.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:05 PM, Steve W said:

Here's an photo of my interim panel, as in until I have enough money to add G5s a GFC 500, maybe a G500Txi, etc etc...(heh)

20181218_130049s.jpg

I am amused (easily) by the "Engine" LED.    Is that like a check engine light?  The engine is running?  

Yes, its like a check engine light.  Flashes yellow or red if there's something out of whack.  I believe its required if the screen is installed on the right side or optional otherwise.

Its super duper annoying so I like having it there even though my screen is installed on the pilot side.  The low fuel warning on mine is set way too conservative and I've had it flash a few times.  Gets your attention quick.

9 minutes ago, hypertech said:

Yes, its like a check engine light.  Flashes yellow or red if there's something out of whack.  I believe its required if the screen is installed on the right side or optional otherwise.

Its super duper annoying so I like having it there even though my screen is installed on the pilot side.  The low fuel warning on mine is set way too conservative and I've had it flash a few times.  Gets your attention quick.

The LED is always required for the JPI if you're using it for primary purposes. The 930 has a fancy little 8 character display instead. As I recall some of the fuel limits may be configurable by you, er your A&P, the configuration system is really really annoying though and they barely document it.

25 minutes ago, Steve W said:

The LED is always required for the JPI if you're using it for primary purposes. The 930 has a fancy little 8 character display instead. As I recall some of the fuel limits may be configurable by you, er your A&P, the configuration system is really really annoying though and they barely document it.

It can be found online and other places.  Most of the settings (I believe including the fuel warning level) can be changed by you, er your A&P, but some can't be changed on the primary gauge after 10 hours run time.  Like if your avionics shop forgets to put the true tach speed in or the total hours in, you better figure that out in 10 hours time or it requires a trip to the factory.

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

Nope, I don't have one with my EDM-900 install. According to JPI and my installer, it's not required when the unit is on the pilot side.

27 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Nope, I don't have one with my EDM-900 install. According to JPI and my installer, it's not required when the unit is on the pilot side.

Hmm, that's not at all what the JPI Installation manual says: "The remote alarm light is a Red or Yellow light depending on the alarm condition. The EDM-900 incorporates a single light that alerts the pilot that a problem existing within the engine. This light is placed in with the primary flight instruments and is required for primary installation." And the flight manual supplement says: "The EDM-900 must not be used as primary if the RAL is not working."

No exceptions for locations I can see, only the restrictions that the display must be within X of center line.

36 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If I'm interpreting the 711 install manual correctly, primary requires both installation of the display and the alarm light(s) in the pilot's front view.  That may be different for the 900, then.

Edit: Oops, @Steve W had the 900 install manual handy above.  I guess the 711 is not allowed to be installed on the right side.  The 900 is, but both seem to require the remote alarm light on the pilot's side?

I got quotes from three shops for the install and all of them said no enunciator light needed because of where the 900 would be placed.

Regardless, I'm very happy having the 900 its self placed with the primary instruments. As I've said many times, I spend more of the flight watching the engine monitor than any of the other instruments in the panel. So its nice to have it in direct view.

• Like 1

I got quotes from three shops for the install and all of them said no enunciator light needed because of where the 900 would be placed.
Regardless, I'm very happy having the 900 its self placed with the primary instruments. As I've said many times, I spend more of the flight watching the engine monitor than any of the other instruments in the panel. So its nice to have it in direct view.

Same with my installation. The location dictates whether the warning light is required. I elected to have it installed. I also am getting warnings verbally from the EI AV-17.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I'm very happy having the 900 its self placed with the primary instruments. As I've said many times, I spend more of the flight watching the engine monitor than any of the other instruments in the panel. So its nice to have it in direct view.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2