New Owner, First Plane, 1974c

Check the MP line from behind the IP...

There is a tiny calibrated leak hole in the line...

My 65C cracked the line at the hole... crack propagation of the aluminum line...

Or could be a loose fitting in the line all the way back to the cylinder intake it is measuring...

PP thoughts...

Best regards,

-a-

So the line looks ok and so does the back of the gauge, but after talking with a local mechanic it is possible there is a pinhole leak in the line.  I ordered a hand vacuum pump and that will tell me if the line is bad.

Should I just go with the JPI 900 now so I don't waste any more time or money with this gauge or should I try and fix it and out the jpi off until the annual is due in May ?

20190103_105717.jpg

20190103_105400.jpg

20190103_105703.jpg

20190103_105706.jpg

Nice pics...

you found the 1/8” line that goes to the back of the gauge... did you see the tiny weep hole there? That is where mine split open...

What is a bit odd... the 1/8” line looks like it magically converts to 1/4” line before going to the cylinder...

with all those fittings and random curves, it is possible that one has loosened up causing a leak...

MP (vac) is generated at the cylinder intake... that vacuum is drawing all the way to the instrument... a small amount of air enters the weep hole...

Get another vac gauge, determine if your ship’s gauge needs to be serviced... or if the tubing and extra fittings should be replaced...

It is quite possible the ship’s gauge is leaking...

If the JPI900 is in the budget... you are now throwing good money after bad...

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Chris,

did you find the weep hole that is supposed to be there?

If the line doesn’t get the right weep hole...

• too big, it always reads too high... open ended the gauge reads around 32”...
  • not there, it will read too low...

Just asking, because the old mechanical MP gauges use a weep hole to keep the 100LL from coming up the line when the engine stops...

Best regards,

-a-

Found some lines and they should be here in a few days. So hopefully this problem is fixed.

Next issue is the trim.   It feels like the wheel slips and I think the whole system probably needs lubed.  Any threads  or advice on how to do this or where to start ?

5 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

EI cluster gauge replacement

is the JPI a less expensive option than the EI? I like the fact that it will fit into any panel space..

It depends...

The EI CRG-30C will replace the factory cluster that includes Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, CHT, Amp, L-Fuel, R-Fuel. If you want to ALSO replace your factory MP and RPM gauges then you need the additional EI CRG-30P. Often times EI runs a special on the combo pack of both instruments which allows you to remove ALL factory engine gauges.

The JPI EDM-900 does all of the above in a single instrument. Going on list price, it is cheaper than the combo of both EI instruments together. But when found on sale or with special deals, they are often equivalent in price.

Regarding panel space:

EI CRG-30C = 1 - 3" hole

EI CRG-30C/P Combo = 2 - 3" holes

JPI EDM-900 = 1.5 - 3" hole.

Either option will fit in an existing panel without recutting. Either option will include full engine logging and four cylinder CHT/EGT along with Fuel Flow.

Want to see if we can get the EI guy to answer the question?

One thing that came up in conversation was the reusability of eight EGT and CHT sensors...

The next topic that comes up... is this a forever-plane?

The JPI does a nice job of displaying a lot of data all at one time...

The EI guys are more pleasant in the service area...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Got the new lines in.  Manifold Pressure is now working correctly

The chain on the trim wheel was absolutely disgusting. Probably 30 years of grime.  I degreased it.  Will lube it up with some oil.  I am going to wash and detail the plane this weekend and will post some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,
I believe your plane and mine were in annual together last March at Advance Aircraft in Troutdale. Not to scare you but I helped out a little on it...:) I’m actually flying down to Vegas tomorrow. If you’re up for a lunch somewhere let me know. I’ll be around till February 12th.
Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Hey Chris,
I believe your plane and mine were in annual together last March at Advance Aircraft in Troutdale. Not to scare you but I helped out a little on it...:) I’m actually flying down to Vegas tomorrow. If you’re up for a lunch somewhere let me know. I’ll be around till February 12th.
Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am around,  I have daddy day care on Saturday, but I am off on Sunday.  The plane is at VGT.   I would love to hear about how it was at annual, it might save me some suprises for the one I have coming up.   email  me   page0100@gmail.com

• Like 1