The NEW new panel

donkaye

19 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Not sure, but I think you actually have that backwards.  The brains of the GFC500 reside inside the G5 ADI.  If you have the G500 or Txi, your autopilot is not only connected to the G5, it's the G5 that makes it work.

That's interesting, I didn't know that the GFC500 has to be coupled to the G5 backup. So does this mean, you would have two sources to drive the autopilot, the Txi AND the G5? Or would your TXi autopilot controlling functions be disabled if you install a GFC500, or would one switch back and forth?

(I remember asking about that possibility of having two sources to drive an autopilot and my installer said that would not work well and be prone to failure even if it could be configured)

That's interesting, I didn't know that the GFC500 has to be coupled to the G5 backup. So does this mean, you would have two sources to drive the autopilot, the Txi AND the G5? Or would your TXi autopilot controlling functions be disabled if you install a GFC500, or would one switch back and forth?

(I remember asking about that possibility of having two sources to drive an autopilot and my installer said that would not work well and be prone to failure even if it could be configured)

IIRC, there is some syncing between G5s and TXi (heading, baro setting)... I’m not sure what you mean by “drive”?

The G5 provide the attitude info.

The 507 controls the GFC500.

28 minutes ago, JohnB said:

There was a thread on Beechtalk that answers, most, if not all these questions.  Certainly Garmin should be able to generate software to run on the G500 TXi to run the Autopilot instead of running the AP software in the G5.  You still need the interface GAD 29b.  In reality the best AP is the GFC 600 that's packaged all in one, but that is not meant to be for our airplanes.  Since all units will be sync'd to each other, except for the AP functions, I plan to use the GCU 485 for most of the control.

Beechtalk link:  https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=161026&start=15

7 hours ago, JohnB said:

I have no idea whether this is relevant, but the GFC500 and G5 are just rebranded (and STC'd) components of the G3X system for experimentals.  The G3X Touch is a cousin to the G500TXi, but not yet available via STC.  The G500TXi was targeting the certified market from the start, and I suspect it's a non-trivial integration with the G3X stuff.  I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the G3X Certified announcement for Mooneys.  (They already have it available for CubCrafters aircraft, but it's on an amended type certificate.)

On 12/13/2018 at 3:54 AM, donkaye said:

John, I'll eat a little crow on that one.  As the picture above shows, I tried the PFD on the right for a little while.  I just couldn't get used to it over there.  Yes, all the functions that are talked about make the GCU 485 unnecessary if that is done and  you feel comfortable with it.  I didn't like it enough that I am willing to spend the 5K (new panel , GCU module, and labor to install) to get the GCU 485 and clutter up my panel a little.

With where your G500 TXi is placed on your panel, I would not like the PFD on the right side either; it would have to be on the left side to look balanced.   And then I would definitely want a GCU 485.  

My G500 TXi has the PFD centered over my yoke, or when in split mode, the split is directly over my yoke.   This makes the screens looked visually balanced regardless of whether you are on full screen PFD or split mode with PFD on the left or the right.   This is the only configuration where I think the PFD on the right side is not offputting. And is currently only really possible when you are using the engine EIS as the split occurs at the same place the full screen PFD is centered on.  See photos. Without the EIS, the split is offset either to the left or the right  on a 40/60 split so it can never lined up directly on the same centerline as the full screen PFD.  If Garmin allowed for a full screen 50/50 PFD/MFD split instead of a 40/60 split without the EIS, one could center everything over the yoke without the EIS.  Maybe a future software feature?   Currently the only way to get a 50/50 split like I have is with the EIS.  

In my opinion, having the centerline of the PFD and the split over the yoke with the PFD on the right this is the only un-clumsy way to do it without a GCU 485.   I originally was going to get a GCU 485 when I did my upgrade, but there was no place for me to fit it and have the G500 TXi centered over my yoke.

So I chose to have the centered PFD and have the PFD on the right when in split mode.   This allows me to use my right hand for all of the altitude settings and changes,  which is what you want instead of having to cross your hand over the yoke or switch hands.

89C40105-4A08-4C10-A3B0-41DE56479C8E.jpeg

BCB8DA74-7948-465C-94AC-FF6F2AE4E39E.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rmag said:

With where your G500 TXi is placed on your panel, I would not like the PFD on the right side either; it would have to be on the left side to look balanced.   And then I would definitely want a GCU 485.  

My G500 TXi has the PFD centered over my yoke, or when in split mode, the split is directly over my yoke.   This makes the screens looked visually balanced regardless of whether you are on full screen PFD or split mode with PFD on the left or the right.   This is the only configuration where I think the PFD on the right side is not offputting. And is currently only really possible when you are using the engine EIS as the split occurs at the same place the full screen PFD is centered on.  See photos. Without the EIS, the split is offset either to the left or the right  on a 40/60 split so it can never lined up directly on the same centerline as the full screen PFD.  If Garmin allowed for a full screen 50/50 PFD/MFD split instead of a 40/60 split without the EIS, one could center everything over the yoke without the EIS.  Maybe a future software feature?   Currently the only way to get a 50/50 split like I have is with the EIS.  

In my opinion, having the centerline of the PFD and the split over the yoke with the PFD on the right this is the only un-clumsy way to do it without a GCU 485.   I originally was going to get a GCU 485 when I did my upgrade, but there was no place for me to fit it and have the G500 TXi centered over my yoke.

So I chose to have the centered PFD and have the PFD on the right when in split mode.   This allows me to use my right hand for all of the altitude settings and changes,  which is what you want instead of having to cross your hand over the yoke or switch hands.

89C40105-4A08-4C10-A3B0-41DE56479C8E.jpeg

BCB8DA74-7948-465C-94AC-FF6F2AE4E39E.jpeg

Nice clean panel.   When I did my original install I put in the MVP-50, since the EIS wasn't available for the original G500..  It didn't make sense to change over to the EIS now.  I did upgrade the MVP-50 display instead.  Big improvement in resolution.

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

What’s wrong with your L3 backup AI...I don’t see any traffic displayed on it ;)

36 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

He does seem to have a phobia about traffic :-)

Funny guys.  Actually these photos I took for Aviation Consumer Magazine as they are doing a traffic system technical overview, basically a rundown of TAS, TCAS II and ADS-B.  I met  the editor, Larry Anglisano at this year’s NBAA. He needed a good-looking panel action shot of the whole panel in cruise, with screens on the traffic page for the cover and his article.  So I took several for him.  This is just one of the shots.  Thus all the traffic pages...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rmag said:

Rmag,

Your panel looks great! Like mine you have your standby instrument on the right side of your TXi which makes it simple to center the full screen display over the yoke. Nice! I now see why Don needs to put his PFD on the left and get the GCU 485 as his TXi is far right due to his standby instruments on the left, and full or half screen would be too far right to be comfortable to view.

Looks like you're also in the same boat as I am with your L3 as your backup for potentially upgrading to a GFC 500. I would be interested in buying one if I didn't have to change my backup system (Aspen which I like very much). Im going to wait on that one, and hopefully in the future once approved Garmin will make it such that you can install a GFC 500 with a different backup system than the G5, by purchasing the GAD adapter, which I wouldn't mind. But changing out your entire backup system just to change your autopilot, I'm going to wait on that one and listen to what Don has to say about it when he gets his early. (I know he's gonna! :)

Anyway.. Nice Setup!

Edited by JohnB

Great before, middle (acrylic), and after pics, Steve!

Have you looked for the plastic film(?), over the trim LED position indicators?

For a while, they were unavailable... don’t know if they came back to being with the new ownership of Mooney.

Best regards,

-a-

Great before, middle (acrylic), and after pics, Steve!
Have you looked for the plastic film(?), over the trim LED position indicators?
For a while, they were unavailable... don’t know if they came back to being with the new ownership of Mooney.
Best regards,
-a-

You mean over trim, flap and cowl indicators?
I actually didn’t realize they were led.
I think in this 1990 aircraft it’s just lit by overhead dash lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Yes, those ones... on the later Os the cowl flap position is swapped for a rudder trim position...

The thin clear film over the green LEDs is some-what delaminated...

That was an effect that happened over time...

Fortunately, its imperfection didn’t bother either you or me... some people were looking to replace those pieces...

During the last factory shut-down years ago, they became unavailable.

I think they may have become available again, just not sure of the detail... a call to the MSC might give an answer...

I believe the G1000 birds may have the position indicators on the screen...?

Don’t look too close, it won’t bother you at all... :)

Sorry for the messy missing details, the panel looks great either way.

Best regards,

-a-

See the good new details posted by Lance below...

2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

I replaced the overlay or "lens" on my flap/trim indicator for $60 three years ago. It looks much better now. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:28 PM, Niko182 said:

You have any pictures?

After I replaced it (both indicators are one long narrow lens)

This is a partial pic of what it looked like before only much worse further down

This is what the indicator looks like that sits behind the lens:

If anyone finds that their LED indicator goes out on the trim/flap indicator, here's what worked for me:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Panel finished and after the re-weigh I’m 60 kg (132lb) lighter - nearly a whole person wow!078c4aca442c7beae02e2b124b470417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Job!  One thing you might consider, if you like a dial type VSI, is a VSI like in the image below.  This is a setting on the G500TXi, and works beautifully.IMG_20180913_175455888.thumb.jpg.6b570815d2026bd8aecea826df787513.jpg

• Like 3

Nice Job!  One thing you might consider, if you like a dial type VSI, is a VSI like in the image below.  This is a setting on the G500TXi, and works beautifully.IMG_20180913_175455888.thumb.jpg.6b570815d2026bd8aecea826df787513.jpg

Thanks Don
I’m in Singapore leaving for the Japan Alps for 10 days.
Can’t wait to get back to Brisbane and fly it.

On 1/3/2019 at 7:25 PM, Steve Skinner said:

Panel finished and after the re-weigh I’m 60 kg (132lb) lighter - nearly a whole person wow!078c4aca442c7beae02e2b124b470417.jpg

I see a new PMA7000BT slide in replacement in your future! $1395 with simple log book entry.

:)

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

• Like 3