New M20K Panel

Jesse Saint

The G5's are fantastic. In this case, they allowed a removal of the vacuum system, which saved weight. The HSI was not working either, so we removed it and all of its heavy and complex components also. I think we took 97 lbs of components and wire out of the panel, and put about 25 lbs back in, so the weight savings was very helpful overall.

If you have more questions about the G5's specifically, feel free to ask.

• Like 1

@Jesse Saint, My J is going into the shop this week for a single G5 install. I'm moving the KG-258 to the turn coordinator location and putting the G5 in its location front and center. My KAP-150 currently works--knock on wood--after several AMU's of troubleshooting last year, so I'm hoping it lasts until another autopilot becomes viable. Do you have any lessons learned or advice I can pass to the installers? The turn coordinator is being removed...

On 12/11/2018 at 10:56 PM, m20c1967 said:

Great job on panel!!! I just bought my avionics for my first mooney. went with garmin  345 audio panel gtn650 gtx 345 and gnc255 nav/com and flight stream510. I 'am not sure If I want the G5 or the new aspen E5. The price is about the same. any body have info on e5?

The E5 got its STC on 12/11/2018.

https://aspenavionics.com/news/aspens-evolution-e5-electronic-flight-instrument-efi-receives-stc

• Like 1

The Aspen update has been on the way for months.  The arrival is finally here.

When comparing G5 to E5...  isn’t it two G5s compared to one E5?

https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/evolution-e5-primary-flight-display

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, Jesse Saint said:

The auto pilot wasn't working, so it got removed. Now waiting and hoping for the TruTrak or GFC500 to become available.

I was wondering the same thing as this is where my panel will likely end up!

I’ll let you know how the 500 is in my K next month!! 

I notice that a lot of pilots keep the G5 “offset” to the left of the yoke, even with a new panel cut out. Is this because they like the offset or is it due to technical limitations ? Especially when removing the old engine gauges (edm 900) this should be easy,  no ?

I notice that a lot of pilots keep the G5 “offset” to the left of the yoke, even with a new panel cut out. Is this because they like the offset or is it due to technical limitations ? Especially when removing the old engine gauges (edm 900) this should be easy,  no ?

You’ll notice the knob on the HSI is close to the yoke if in standard position which means you have to go over or around, so it’s a little awkward.
I would push them up since you have space with engine gauges removed if keeping them centered.

11 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You’ll notice the knob on the HSI is close to the yoke if in standard position which means you have to go over or around, so it’s a little awkward.
I would push them up since you have space with engine gauges removed if keeping them centered.

Good points ^_^. I’d definitely move them upwards as well.

9 hours ago, Airways said:

The early Mooney instrument layouts left a large space directly above the yoke’s shaft...

The long mechanical instrument cases and the arc of the yoke movement had some interference.... that needed to be accounted for...

Modern instruments are much shorter, and the arch isn't that big...

Some people may have just reused the existing panel that already had the offset...

PP speculation...

Best regards,

-a-