ISO simulator pieces.

I had purchased all of the above at one point. Ultimately I re-sold it all and bought a decent joystick.  Something like the Saitek (aka Logitech) X52 or X56 will be a lot simpler and more useful unless you're going for all out cockpit recreation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

What is your etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throttle, prop, mixture controls and a switch panel, with gear up/down, fuel, lights, ignition on it

Edited by GLJA

Timely, as I approach Annual.   

On 12/14/2018 at 10:06 PM, GLJA said:

Throttle, prop, mixture controls and a switch panel, with gear up/down, fuel, lights, ignition on it

I recently purchased all of the above (plus trim wheel) from my local Craigslist for cheap.   It came with the book MS "Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training" and the software on CD.    What's next?     I'd assume this stuff is old so I can use an older Desktop computer and Graphics card, but figure it's easier to ask someone who's already doing the same....    What are you using to run this?   Other related questions:

Can this drive three monitors?     

(There must be a Sim thread in here someplace, but my search skills are weak).

4 hours ago, Seymour said:

I recently purchased all of the above (plus trim wheel) from my local Craigslist for cheap.   It came with the book MS "Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training" and the software on CD.    What's next?     I'd assume this stuff is old so I can use an older Desktop computer and Graphics card, but figure it's easier to ask someone who's already doing the same....    What are you using to run this?   Other related questions:

My computer was old as balls, and I was running FSX on it. It was a laptop, and I was able to run an additional external screen with it. 
Honestly, I bought it (the Yoke, Pedals, etc.. not the computer) about 9 months ago, and used it sparingly. Primarily to practice emergency and TO/ Landing procedures when getting my PPL. It's all been sitting in my closet in the basement since, and really haven't gotten around to trying to ebay/kijiji sell it yet. 
As far as 3 screens go, I think you'll need a high powered Graphics card and processor. The laptop I was using is at least 8 years old. 

Edited by GLJA

4 hours ago, Seymour said:

The answer is...sort of.

You can run FSX on a Windows 10 machine (I do).  There are some crashing issues with the original MS software, I don't know if that is better or worse than the more recent Steam version.

You can run on three monitors if you create a virtual desktop, and spread the image over the three monitors if your video card has multiple outputs.  However, this may only work if you have them in line, e.g., you can't really have a third monitor down below for the instrument panel.  In addition, the angle of view can be all wrong if you don't adjust the zoom and field of view, and these settings are fiddly and require changing the default settings in text files, or else you have to adjust them every time you run it.

IIRC, there is a payware utility that allows you to send screens out to multiple COMPUTERS over a network, with each computer controlling one screen.

You cannot AFAIK run off multiple video cards.

Some people report they can use TrackIR to help with looking around the virtual cockpit.  I haven't tried this.

I've run two screens on a middling spec modern computer, and it's fully capable of rendering at high detail.  I imagine more than two screens will require a fair bit of computing muscle.  Even if it's old software, that doesn't mean all the add-ons and high detail settings won't suck up a significant amount of power.