Ram Air Door Opens On Its Own At Cruise

1 hour ago, apenney said:

I see.  So, with the knob pushed in the closed position, this setup should look like your description and not what is in the photo?  That would explain the change in resistance I used to feel...when it would go past center, if I'm understanding things correctly.

The photo is kind of a mid position.   I would guess that they didn't mark the cable when they disassembled it and reassembled with the cable in a different position.

So, loosen the outer cable clamp, push the lever over center and adjust the outer cable so that the cockpit knob is 90% (95%?) of the way in.  Tighten the outer clamp, make sure that the actual "stop" in this mechanism is part "C" against Bolt "D" the cable should have a bit of push-flex still.. the cockpit knob should not be solid against the panel.   Then pull open the knob and make sure that it can get to the full open (90°) position.   Minor adjustments of the sleeve and cable might be needed, but the main one is that the C against D is the push stop.

• Like 1

One last item,  As I was showing the picture to my wife, she pointed out that the wire, locking the pivot of the ram air door in the lower left corner looked like a rusty little twisted thing... Someone has used a random piece of steel wire, rather than a proper cotter pin or stainless lock wire to secure that arm.   So that might call for an update as well. 

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Here is the picture of the locking mechanism. As Ross pointed out, the door itself doesn’t determine whether your annunciation panel will light up. The position of the cable does.

If I do not lock mine, the door does open a bit and the light will come on during flight.

5ece3ba2926309a884774e992724c230.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On my 75F the light only comes on if the ram door is open AND the  gear is down. (In flight with the gear up the ram air light is out no matter what its position is.)

Edited by 75_M20F
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 75_M20F said:

On my 75F the light only comes on if the ram door is open AND the  gear is down. (In flight with the gear up the ram air light is out no matter what its position is.)

That’s how they all work, but the annunciatior is at the switch, not the door.