Mooney down in Paramus NJ

Jim Peace

A TX based Mooney...

Extremely good piloting given the terrain available...

For those not familiar, Lincoln Park is at the North end of NJ... trees and ridges are the norm...

Not the usual Garden like State...

Nice aviating, Jonas De Leon!

Plane...   League City, TX...

Pilot / Teacher... Manhattan, NY....   https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/this-high-school-aviation-program-aims-to-stave-off-the-pilot-shortage

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, Piloto said:

From where the plane take off?

It looks like he took off from somewhere near Caldwell NJ.

1700307637_ScreenShot2018-12-09at9_13_19PM.thumb.png.f901b1654e5967196cebf9a9c4542655.png

Loss of engine power

https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=219246

Here's the ad from when the airplane was for sale in 2017 before the current owner bought it: http://buyaircrafts.com/2017/09/29/1984-mooney-m20k-231-for-sale/

1 minute ago, Piloto said:

The annunciator panel would have alerted of low fuel on either tank before takeoff.

José

As long as you think that gadgets should save pilots from crashing. And the annunciator doesnt know which tank was selected.  Or perhaps it had your long range tanks installed with 2 gallons of water trapped inside that can't be drained, and swallowed it after rotation.  

Tell you what, Ill shut up until the NTSB report comes out.  But i'm curious as to the factual circumstances affecting the crash.

• Like 3

150 SMOH and new cylinders. Wonder what caused the engine failure. At least the engine was not damage by the crash. The NTSB should quickly determine the cause of engine failure.
José

150 as of September 2017 when it was for sale, so owned by new owner for about a year. Overhaul was done by Firewall Forward.

7 hours ago, teejayevans said:

150 as of September 2017 when it was for sale, so owned by new owner for about a year. Overhaul was done by Firewall Forward.

That's what I thought at first, but when I re-read the ad, the ad doesn't say the overhaul was done by the company Firewall Forward, it just says that everything firewall forward was replaced or overhauled (new cylinders, cam lifters, exhaust, shrouds, etc)               http://buyaircrafts.com/2017/09/29/1984-mooney-m20k-231-for-sale/

That's what I thought at first, but when I re-read the ad, the ad doesn't say the overhaul was done by the company Firewall Forward, it just says that everything firewall forward was replaced or overhauled (new cylinders, cam lifters, exhaust, shrouds, etc)               http://buyaircrafts.com/2017/09/29/1984-mooney-m20k-231-for-sale/

Yea, the fact that it was in all caps I took as a proper name.

13 hours ago, jetdriven said:

As long as you think that gadgets should save pilots from crashing. And the annunciator doesnt know which tank was selected.  Or perhaps it had your long range tanks installed with 2 gallons of water trapped inside that can't be drained, and swallowed it after rotation.  

Tell you what, Ill shut up until the NTSB report comes out.  But i'm curious as to the factual circumstances affecting the crash.

What's this 2 gallons of water that can't be drained? I've got the long range tanks in my Rocket with two sump points on each wing. Is there something that I should be aware of regarding a potential hazard?

• Like 1

What's this 2 gallons of water that can't be drained? I've got the long range tanks in my Rocket with two sump points on each wing. Is there something that I should be aware of regarding a potential hazard?

You'll need to read the whole thread to get the details. In a nutshell, there is a concern by some that the extended tank sumps are too high in the tank allowing water to accumulate and not be sumpable (if that is a word).

17 minutes ago, Antares said:

I had the long range tanks in my 1982 M20J for over 30 years and never had an issue with water with them. Just check the filler caps O-ring at every annual. On the main tanks I always remove the drain valves to drain any possible water at every annual.

José

Edited by Piloto

I agree, keeping the water out is most important. But what do you do about water that did get in there. A line guy left the cap loose, or installed it in a cocked manner. Now the water is in there, and you sump it and sump it until its clear.  What about the water that is still there, in the tank, you cant remove?

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I agree, keeping the water out is most important. But what do you do about water that did get in there. A line guy left the cap loose, or installed it in a cocked manner. Now the water is in there, and you sump it and sump it until its clear.  What about the water that is still there, in the tank, you cant remove?

Any water or fuel in the long range tanks will flow into the main tanks. So draining the main tanks is most important since this were the engine feed from. The main tanks drain valve F391-53S drainage is through the adapter plate small channels that eventually get clogged by tank debris (sealant deterioration) and jam the drain valve causing it to drain from stem top. Best way to drain any water on the main tanks is to remove the drain valve and let it drain for a few seconds.

After a full tank refueling I always check that the filler caps are properly set. An improperly fuel cap set will show fuel stains in flight until the fuel level comes down. 

José 

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Antares said:

Look under misc heading, then Cessna 335 crashed.

Clarence

36 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I’m still awaiting answers to questions I posted in the Cessna 335 crash thread, but I’m not to hopeful about an answer.  I think it’s important that people understand the limitations in the extended tank design.

Clarence

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I’m still awaiting answers to questions I posted in the Cessna 335 crash thread, but I’m not to hopeful about an answer.  I think it’s important that people understand the limitations in the extended tank design.

Clarence

What are the limitations since there is none in the FAA approved FMS.

José