KFC 200 Altitude Pre-Select

CaptRJM

With all the upgrades that are taking place there seems to be a lot of KEA-130As, KEA-346 and KAS-297, 297A and 297Bs out there at reasonable prices.  With that in mind I'm thinking of adding Altitude Pre-Select to the KFC-200 in my K model.  Question is, what components are required to add to my KFC-200 to perform this addition.

I've called BK and basically they tell me that since I'm not a dealer they aren't going to help me.  I've called the 2 shops that I use but I'm getting conflicting answers.  Bottom line, can anyone who already has Altitude Pre-Select on a KFC-200 provide me with the models of the components including the dash numbers.  Or, if you have had it installed by a avionics shop can you give me an idea of what is involved other than replacing the Altimeter and adding the KAS-297.

I know many of you will say don't do it, just install a GFC-500.  The money for a totally new autopilot is not there right now.  My KFC-200 works perfectly and there is no reason to change it at the current time.  I'm thinking this addition will keep me happy until I see a need to upgrade to the GFC-500.

I looked at this awhile ago also. It was more expensive for parts then, but may be viable now.  I think there was a thread on this a while ago.

If I recall, the functionality of the various KAS units are all different and may not provide as much control as hoped. I am not sure that it does as much as the KFC 225 as far as functions for vertical control.

Watching this thread though...

I’ve never seen one on and older KFC-200 installation - just the newer KFC-150's. So I always assumed it wasn't an option till then - but don't know.
But that said, I can't imagine it being a worthwhile investment. It involves a lot of labor to install. And the kicker is that it's totally replaced by modern glass like a G500. And then you have the expensive maintenance cost just with the altimeter alone - a source of many complaints among owners. Although you haven't experienced the high cost of maintaining these excellent AP, unfortunately it's just a matter of time till you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK has a bunch of manuals online...

You can probably look them up by the AP... what you find is all the instruments that are associated with the total package...

Including AI, HSI, magnetometer, altitude pre-select, yaw damper, and servo motors.... and control switch combo...

I have only looked for the KAP1XX series though...

Best regards,

-a-

I have the KFC 150 with altitude pre-select. If this was compatible with your KFC200, I be inclined to rip the whole autopilot out earlier and sell it to you. I could go all glass if it wasn't for the Altimeter required to drive the pre-select.

Every time I get a new baro from ATC I set the Aspen, then the G5, then the steam gauge (which is the important one as it's driving the autopilot) the Aspen and G5 are basically just situational awareness.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm pretty lucky.  In 10 years and about 900 hours I've replaced the HSI and 1 servo.  I also had the "computer" overhauled 6 years ago.  I haven't had the plethora of problems a lot of KFC-200 owners have had.

BTW, Aspen has a Altitude Preselect System for the KFC-200 for $1.5 AMU.  I'd guess it will work with the KFC-150 ... may be worth a call.

Right now any spare cash is going into my home that was partially flooded during Hurricane Florence.  Best guess right now is $100K will be coming out of my pocket because insurance will not cover it.  I hope none of you ever experience dealing with all the insurance BS after a disaster like this. 

Edited by CaptRJM
typo

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Every time I get a new baro from ATC I set the Aspen, then the G5, then the steam gauge (which is the important one as it's driving the autopilot) the Aspen and G5 are basically just situational awareness.

Ditto, with the addition of my MX-20.

1 minute ago, CaptRJM said:

Right now any spare cash is going into my home that was partially flooded during Hurricane Florence.  Best guess right now is $100K will be coming out of my pocket because insurance will not cover it.  I hope none of you ever experience dealing with all the insurance BS after a disaster like this. 

So sorry to hear about the damage you have at the house as I know it can be a drain on everything from cash to sanity. Hang in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptRJM said:

BTW, Aspen has a Altitude Preselect System for the KFC-200 for $1.5 AMU.  I'd guess it will work with the KFC-150 ... may be worth a call.

I'm very familiar with it. It's not actually an altitude pre-select, but rather just a button pusher. In other words you have to manage the climb/speed/trim/etc and when you happen to get to the "pre-selected" altitude, it will "push the ALT" button for you. And it won't work with the KFC150 at all.

So I'll keep what I have for now. It works fine. But when something better is available, this system will likely come out and something new/better go in.

I have the KAS297 Alt Selector and a KFC200 in my 252. When my encoding altimeter failed the recertification test a couple of years ago I had to install a new altimeter and was limited to a pretty pricey BK encoding altimeter for compatibility with the KAS297. Or so I was told, by my avionics shop. The 297 works fine, but it is altitude capture only. No vertical speed. To be honest, I never completely rely on it to capture the altitude, but it is nice to be able to set your cleared altitude and get a “1000 to go” warning beeper and light. I am pretty sure that the only components you need are the KAS297, a compatible encoding altimeter, and appropriate harness.

I am considering adding a second Aspen and upgrading to the Aspen Max to get rid of all of my steam gauges, so the KAS297 and altimeter may be for sale in a few months. 

Regards,

Mark

On 12/10/2018 at 9:19 PM, squeaky.stow said:

When my encoding altimeter failed the recertification test a couple of years ago I had to install a new altimeter and was limited to a pretty pricey BK encoding altimeter for compatibility with the KAS297.

Is the G5 compatible with the 297?