M20 F cockpit fuel drain.

MrRodgers

I was reading through some recent threads about the cockpit fuel drain this week and there were viewpoints shared for and against utilizing the fuel drain next to the fuel selector in the cabin.

I filled my tanks today and sumped each tank and used the cockpit drain pull as the plane has been sitting for a few weeks.

I later noticed a slight and slow dripping outside my hangar coming from the fuel sump under the cockpit.

The dripping continued throughout the day. After 4 hours of flight time it still continues.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what’s the fix? A new O ring / seal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading through some recent threads about the cockpit fuel drain this week and there were viewpoints shared for and against utilizing the fuel drain next to the fuel selector in the cabin.

I filled my tanks today and sumped each tank and used the cockpit drain pull as the plane has been sitting for a few weeks.

I later noticed a slight and slow dripping outside my hangar coming from the fuel sump under the cockpit.

The dripping continued throughout the day. After 4 hours of flight time it still continues.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what’s the fix? A new O ring / seal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll need to replace the O rings in the gasoclator. I bought mine from Lasar.

https://lasar.com/seal-kits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

There are several things in that location that could be dripping.   When mine did that it was a loose fitting on one of the fuel lines (it had been worked on recently).

Reseating the ring, i.e., activate the drain again a couple times, may help if that's what's dripping.

• Like 1

I always hold it for three seconds. As part of preflight, I open the cabin door, slide my body between the door and the wing, place both hands on my wing and set my ass on the wing walk (make sure you're not wearing pants or a jacket with metal rivets or zippers that could scratch things), lean over and pull the ring for three seconds, then get up and continue to sump my wings and look in the tanks. This is the fastest way to check it and beats having to walk all the way around the wing and having to get in the plane to reach it. 

• Like 1

Reminder...

1) mechanical fuel pump has a drain...

2) electric fuel pump has a drain...

3) Fuel separator has a drain...

All three are within feet of each other and look pretty similar from a few feet away...

Find out what’s leaking and why... could be a cleaning and reseating a valve, or replace an oring, or a fuel pump diaphragm/OH...

Just a summary of what I read here...

Best regards,

-a-