A little Lesson In Propellers

Cody Stallings

I Normally deal with these issues with customers Propellers, But this time it was mine.

Recently Purchased my new To me Mistress N252A.

Propeller was doing everything it was supposed to do. Running smooth, actuating well an no grease leaks.

But it has been holding down the front of the plane for 18 years, with that being said me an my guys decided to open a spot for it in the shop.

Just wanted to open it up an give it a good inspection an a fresh set of Orings an Gaskets. 

Went down hill pretty Fast after removing the cylinder. It was very clear why it didn’t leak grease!!!....lol

4F40FAB2-5287-4D34-A5BF-A1D1507BA5A6.jpeg

AA0E1D1D-7985-405B-9A4B-033CCD0CE062.jpeg

03747FBC-838E-47EB-A1DC-C900671CBBD7.jpeg

A0AE4AD1-2BE8-46AB-99CB-9931E55B252E.jpeg

471DA889-FDD3-47FA-8B0C-E3A1723634A5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

After a week of waiting on parts, We started the resurrection on Friday.

Im happy to report, it went together very nice( New Parts usually do that for some reason), short of wiring up the Anti-Ice leads it’s ready to go Back to the Nose of N252A

A07E63FA-1277-4894-B194-905DD7E88B49.jpeg

CEFB670B-93EA-4816-9046-5DE2226463F4.jpeg

842E8251-64E0-4EF5-BD91-2E0D1F6421F5.jpeg

DFFBE220-1F30-4651-9AF0-8CDAB7168209.jpeg

36B440EE-0CA4-486E-BC10-3E3788E7954E.jpeg

Edited by Cody Stallings
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

It sure make a strong case for more frequent visits to a prop shop.

Clarence

I’m going to venture a guess this Propeller had a grease leak at some point that went away.

Owner was probably really happy it stopped leaking too..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Cosmic event... Plane selects the right owner!

Great pics, Cody!

Got a video of the white prop with the engine spinning? That looks a bit more visible to people walking by...

Best regards,

-a-

I don’t have any pics or Vid yet. It’s still bolted to a steel table.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

What are blade paddles? Do we really need to placard it on every blade. Also, is the McCauley sticker required to be replaced after a overhaul?
I personally don’t like my propeller to look like a racing car.

Blade Paddels are a device used on feathering Propellers when they miss the startlock during the engine shut down.

They are used to manually turn the blades.

When they are used on a blades with deice boots, the boots tend to get shorted out due to smashing the elements inside.

Does it need the blade paddle stickers on all 3 blades?.....Yes Sir!!!

Put the sticker on one blade, an in some people’s mind that means the other two can be moved with a blade paddle. Just not the one blade with a sticker on it.

As far as the McCauley stickers go, whatever the O/H Parts Kit contains is what goes on the prop.

Now, the Owner can elect to go with or without, totally his choice.

Being in a Repairstation is completely different.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It is great having a fellow Mooniac service your prop.  Cody did mine a couple years ago then flew his F model to my airport and balanced it for less $$ than when I had it done in Oklahoma a few years earlier.  I really appreciated the extra time he spent educating me on props and the right/wrong terminology to use (IRAN versus OH).