Wing sight gauge

Hello,

had an issue today when I went to the hanger today and trying to figure out where I need to be on the “concerned meter”. My right wing fuel sight gauge was partially popped out and the sealant around it was deteriorated from I believe is fuel.  The gauge popped right out and now I just have the metal space that the gauge goes in.  So I am going to order a couple new gauges from lazar on Monday but my question is, how did fuel get around this gauge?  My tanks were resealed by weepnmore two years ago. I don’t kno a lot about how the gauges go in, so will putting new ones in solve the leak? Or do I have a leak between the dial and the dial housing in that wing cover plate?  I’ve needed to replace my wing sight gauges for awhile.now due to crazing and the silicone sealant getting old.

my concern is if fuel got out in the top of the wings than water can get in.....

No fear...

they are siliconed in place, and have a tendency to go missing once every 20years....  what went on walk-about is truly independent of what is installed below... only magnetic force connects the gauge to the sensor...

Get new from lazar, silicone in place, tape over the top until healed... (fuzzy memory)

Since you are in there... be on the look-out for some version of a 100LL leak...? Got a lot of blue stain?

PP thoughts...

Best regards,

-a-

Hey Anthony,  some additional thoughts...

I was still writing...

I added this: Since you are in there... be on the look-out for some version of a 100LL leak...? Got a lot of blue stain?

That part of the wing has the ability to be drawing fuel out... (low pressure/vacuum)...

But a fuel leak there, I haven’t seen one...

I’ve had the gauge depart, and I have had screws leak from the top of my wing panels...

For more details about the gauge and sensor... There is a drawing around here somewhere...

How far away from the fuel caps is the wing sight gauge? If lightly stained, it probably caught some overflow... if deep dark blue stain, it has a source of 100LL that needs to be found....

Best regards,

-a-

I completely missed the part that you still have the gauge...

Check for leaks, glue back in... there is a procedure for that too...

I would clean all the old RTV off of the plane side and keep an eye on it for a while.

Its possible some fuel was spilled on the wing during fueling and made its way under the gauge. 

If the gauge is still clear, just glue it back in.

When glueing it back in, mask around the gauge and mask the top of the gauge. Fill the hole compleatly with RTV so there isnt a void below the gauge. Push it down into place extruding the RTV out. Resist the urge to wipe the excess off and let it cure overnight. The next day just peel the extrusion off and remove the masking tape. Clean any excess off with your fingernail. 

If there is a void under the gauge it will fill with water and corrode the mount.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I would clean all the old RTV off of the plane side and keep an eye on it for a while.

Its possible some fuel was spilled on the wing during fueling and made its way under the gauge. 

If the gauge is still clear, just glue it back in.

When glueing it back in, mask around the gauge and mask the top of the gauge. Fill the hole compleatly with RTV so there isnt a void below the gauge. Push it down into place extruding the RTV out. Resist the urge to wipe the excess off and let it cure overnight. The next day just peel the extrusion off and remove the masking tape. Clean any excess off with your fingernail. 

If there is a void under the gauge it will fill with water and corrode the mount.

Did you use RTV-108 as called for in the parts manual?

Gents,
Just went back out to the hanger to clean out the receptacle. I also wanted to top off the tank to see if I could spot anything and I could see the black sealant around the receptacle get wet. Waited a few minutes and dried the tiny slot with a towel and sure enough smelt like fuel. I am attaching a picture. So yes, fuel dropped behind the gauge and ate through the sealant. Figuring out next steps

In the picture the fuel is coming along that black sealant line around the openingIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it is a PITA. You have to remove the panel. Cleaning the panel and the inside of the wing where it mounts is the hard part. Fixing the gauge mount is easy. Just take out the six screws, pry the gauge loose, clean the panel and the gauge, apply sealant to the mating surfaces and screw it back together.