Best Instruction to get to Mooney qualified?

ToddCC22

I have dreamed of getting my Pilots License for many years and am finally in a position to pursue it.  In all this time, I have become fond of the Mooney's speed and range.  Any suggestions of what aircraft to train on to get competent enough to buy and fly a Mooney?

Follow GSXer’s advice!

Use a training plane to get the most out of your training...

Using a high wing, low powered, plane is perfect.  It will give you the experience needed to get the feel of what the Mooney really offers in comparison...

Train early and often...  If you can only fly once each week, you will probably spend a fair amount of time warming up and knocking rust off of the aging training from the week before.... So much muscle memory involved....

Then the Transition Training to focus specifically on the model Mooney you have purchased.... with all its specific hardware and instruments...

Get to know flying, then get to know flying your Mooney!  :)

Start navigating the next steps... how far do you want to go? Formation flying or Flying in IMC?

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

Thanks.  I didn't know if training on a low wing (Piper or similar) would be better than the Cessna rout. As soon as practical, I'd like to own my plane so scheduling isn't a concern, but don't want to get over my head too quickly.  Reading forums I hear that Mooney's are a little more technical to fly and figured the RG adds another layer to a new pilot.  

Expect to follow a route that other Mooney pilots have gone down...

Many have purchased a Mooney around their first 100hrs of experience.

Some have bought a Mooney to learn to fly in.

Some have had the good fortune of learning to fly in Dad’s Mooney.

Either way, the additional experience that comes from gliders, tail-wheels, and high wings... all adds to your collective valuable experience...

It took me about four years to get trained, reach 100hours, and buy an M20C... I didn’t know the value I would get until I had the Mooney.... there was no MS around to share experiences....  :)

Life has so many complexities in it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ToddCC22 said:

Thanks.  I didn't know if training on a low wing (Piper or similar) would be better than the Cessna rout. 

Find out which airplane your local flight school uses.  That's the one you should use for training.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ToddCC22 said:

Reading forums....

I hear that Mooney's are a little more technical to fly and figured the RG adds another layer to a new pilot.  

You want to be reading the proper forum...

Other forums will be pointing out how dangerous canoeing can be...  no, wait, that’s an MS topic...  :)

Other forums will be pointing out how big the Mooney cabin is... no, wait, that’s another MS topic...

Other forums will be pointing out how important speed, efficiency, and safety are... no, wait, that’s still another MS topic...

Other forums will be pointing out how great low and slow can be... Mooneys have a specific knob for that too... not discussed very often at MS... (not completely true... search the threads regarding Vz ...Carson’s speed for super efficiency)

Other forums will be pointing out how great Out-back flying is... MS has a special pilot (Bryan) that posted pics of his out-back M20C experience with all the other outback specific planes...

To get to this level of flying experience... it takes time, effort, AMUs, and a willingness to learn...

How far do you want to take this idea... literally, across the country or around the world?  There are forums that point out how great flying around the world is... no, wait, that’s another MS topic... we have a few MSers that have circumnavigated the globe.  We have one young buck blog being the youngest pilot to circle the globe solo...   done in a Mooney M20R...

If you are fortunate, the airport is close to work and home...

If you are fortunate, you are comfortable with all kinds of people... Talk to a few instructors... find one that you are comfortable with...

Flying is a great test of your skills of being a human... so much to learn about yourself that comes out while trying to learn to fly an airplane...

Get started! Enjoy! Work hard! Take breaks! Repeat things! Aim High! Eat well! Get some rest! Do it again! Fire up that flight simulator! Read your flying books! 

Read more MS,

-a-

• Like 1

Congratulations on making the decision to become a pilot it really is a great endeavor. A lot will depend on the flight school you have available to you and the availability of the airplanes. We purchased a C150 before I took lesson number one giving me access whenever I wanted. It also provided a different kind of training that of airplane ownership which can be as big a learning curve as learning to fly. It proved to be a great airplane to learn in and after we got our Mooney we sold it. All in all was a great way to go.

• Like 1

I live in NC and see myself flying around the east coast on weekend work trips with parts of the family (wife and 2 teenage girls).  My Inlaws are in NY, and we really like a lot of the Caribbean islands, so as experience gets to the point that trips of that length are reasonable, I can see that on the horizon.

I have reached out to the local FBO a couple times and must be the holidays have things tied up as I haven't gotten to schedule my first flight yet, and am anxious to get going.  I have the funds and have a fair amount of free time thru the end of the year, so I am hoping to get a good start and multiple hours towards my PPL.  This FBO has a 172 trainer which is why I asked the question to start this thread.  People are always going to tell you that the way they do it is best.  I wanted someone who has the aircraft I want to tell me their opinion of the right path,

You all are awesome to take the time to give great direction!

Thanks for alll the feedback.

23 minutes ago, ToddCC22 said:

I live in NC and see myself flying around the east coast on weekend work trips with parts of the family (wife and 2 teenage girls).  My Inlaws are in NY, and we really like a lot of the Caribbean islands, so as experience gets to the point that trips of that length are reasonable, I can see that on the horizon.

I have reached out to the local FBO a couple times and must be the holidays have things tied up as I haven't gotten to schedule my first flight yet, and am anxious to get going.  I have the funds and have a fair amount of free time thru the end of the year, so I am hoping to get a good start and multiple hours towards my PPL.  This FBO has a 172 trainer which is why I asked the question to start this thread.  People are always going to tell you that the way they do it is best.  I wanted someone who has the aircraft I want to tell me their opinion of the right path,

Where are you in NC? Murphy? Manteo? There are quite a few MSers in NC.

A C172 is an excellent plane to get your PPI in. 

14 hours ago, ToddCC22 said:

Welcome, @ToddCC22! Most any Mooney will handle NC to NY or the Caribbean, just be careful of that NY winter weather. I have family scattered all over NC; my Mooney is a great way to visit them, as it was when I lived in furthest WV.

For training, use whatever is cheapest (including your driving time). This will save money to buy your Mooney.  ;)  Many FBOs and flight schools are small operations. Drive over and see if anyone is around, they may be gassing up a plane and unable to answer the phone. 

Winter is a great time to fly! The plane loves the cold, dense air. Hope ya'll don't get too much snow! My parents, a couple of hours west of you, are expecting a foot . . . . That would completely shut down Alabama!

• Like 1

Got a call back from my local flight school this morning and have 4 days booked in the next 10 days in a Cessna 172 with a CFI that has great recommends.  Thanks for all your input.  

Still trying to sort out when the right time is to transition from their aircraft to what I ultimately want....thinking a M20F.

4" on the ground here and everything is shut down!  Think it will be gone tomorrow midday.

• Like 1

Got a call back from my local flight school this morning and have 4 days booked in the next 10 days in a Cessna 172 with a CFI that has great recommends.

Still trying to sort out when the right time is to transition from their aircraft to what I ultimately want....thinking a M20F.

Great news about the instructor and airplane.  Most here will suggest you learn how to land in somebody else's airplane, not your own, for the obvious reasons.  Student pilots are hard on landing gear.

Try not to worry too much about the transition and airplane type issues.  Cessnas fly like Cessnas, Cherokees fly like Cherokees, and Mooneys fly like Mooneys.  But at the end of the day, they all fly like airplanes.

Got a call back from my local flight school this morning and have 4 days booked in the next 10 days in a Cessna 172 with a CFI that has great recommends.  Thanks for all your input.  

4" on the ground here and everything is shut down!  Think it will be gone tomorrow midday.

We have about 1 foot in Morganton and still coming down. 40 miles making a big difference this time. I hear Charlotte got very little. We'll be closed for several days.