Mooney M20F Avionics Upgrade - ADSB

And all the prices Marauder quotes are just equipment... you’ll need significant install, new waas antenna, etc.  Potentially 1.5 or 2 times the equipment cost.  thats what makes wingtip/tailbeacon so attractive.  Install easy, no new antenna.

• Like 2

Got you some better 430 traffic pictures and iPad mounted pictures.  I concede that there may be more traffic in socal than Spokane.  Ram mount screwed into the panel works well.

14,500’, 175 Kts ground, 9.1gph (ROP) isn’t bad for an F! (Yeah, there was a strong wind!)

C373BFE2-3875-4DF4-8ACC-9C7A70BA0344.jpeg

38A00CD5-FDDE-424E-825D-C3F5FC867ADD.jpeg

And all the prices Marauder quotes are just equipment... you’ll need significant install, new waas antenna, etc.  Potentially 1.5 or 2 times the equipment cost.  thats what makes wingtip/tailbeacon so attractive.  Install easy, no new antenna.

2 times! Who is doing your installations?
Should be more like 0.5, engine monitors are an exception because of all the probes and engine work, maybe 1-1.5X.

If you’re really tight on your budget, I would go the cheapest route to have something display on your ForeFlight and forget about the 430 integration. I have the 650 which has a higher resolution that the 430 and a slightly larger screen and I rarely look at it for traffic. It will alert me to a traffic conflict, but so will an app.

b9ab211139072b9fb43d3e140587d701.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Well if you’re going to need new waas antenna, maybe new xponder antey, new antenna wiring and connection to your audio panel, gps, etc, it can be pretty major surgery for one small box. 

Don’t know what’s standard, but my transponder,ADSB antennas are underneath, just aft of the firewall, easy to get to (for those with 1-piece belly.
But yes, the WAAS antenna would require headliner be dropped, that probably requires most of the interior be removed. I was quoted $300 for interior R&R for a small job, but for big jobs it’s just part of the overhead. My biggest complaint about Aspens, they require their own antenna, so it’s advertised easy install is not so easy.

While its nice to say you have LPV capability with a WAAS 430, start asking around (here too) how many IFR pilots ACTUALLY file into weather that requires 200/ 1/2 or 250 LPV approachs. How many of those type flights do they actually do every year?  Will YOU as a NEW IFR rated pilot WANT to file and fly into that type of weather to use the capability enough to justify the cost at this time? I think not. 

How many on this thread ACTUALLY routinely file and fly "actual" 250' LPV approaches? Come on- how many times do you REALLY do it? And how many times that you actually did it could you have done an ILS at the same airport? See new thread!

Give long thought to filing IFR in a single engine airplane, with low ceilings everywhere (no way out if you have an issue) and you with a brand new IFR ticket in your pocket. Think long and hard of your options. You will be maxed out enough going into 600-1 weather until you get some real experience.

You will have full ILS to 200/ 1/2 , VOR non-precision AND hundreds of GPS NON-PRECISION approaches (down to about 600') available to yourself with the non-WAAS 430. This may be all you'll even need or want once you really start your IFR flying and gain experience. 

Skybeacon is the easiest and cheapest way to go ADSB Out. Virtually no install cost. Use your tablet for the in and Wx. KISS- keep it simple (and cheap) stupid!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1