SabreCowl Gen2 preview

Sabremech

5 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Cyril: 

I am not sure. 337s are completely verbotten, but @M20Doc (Clarence) will probably know.

My understanding is that an FAA issued STC would be acceptable for us in Canada.  One exception that I was aware of was an Australian STC which had an FAA STC issued based on the Aussie one.  Neither was acceptable in Canada until Transport did a complete review.

An FAA 337 block 3 sign off is not acceptable on a Canadian airplane, unless it was done before importation to Canada.

Clarence

Just a note for anyone looking for a decent C model in the future. My 66 C will be for sale later next year. I’ll be putting it on the market once the TruTrak autopilot is STC’d and installed. It will also have the SabreCowl Gen1 at a minimum but possibly Gen2. I’m doing an extensive annual and taking care of details in preparation for sale. Will be a great bird mechanically. 

David

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

If you buy a Comanche 400 you're going to lose some street cred here at Mooneyspace... :P

I’m actually going to get out of airplane ownership. I have access to a couple of airplanes and am going to take advantage of that while I can. Also planning ahead for that R-word!! 

• Like 3

R words...?

Rumor on the street...  M20Rs don’t make great retirement planes...

I hear M20Es do make great retirement planes! 

An M20E with a SabreCowl has already set a great precedent...

Good luck with the next steps!

Best regards,

-a-

I'm thinking he is thinking RV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

If you buy a Comanche 400 you're going to lose some street cred here at Mooneyspace... :P

But he’d gain some useful load, cruise speed and range!  Some would say a worthwhile trade

Clarence

Just a note for anyone looking for a decent C model in the future. My 66 C will be for sale later next year. I’ll be putting it on the market once the TruTrak autopilot is STC’d and installed. It will also have the SabreCowl Gen1 at a minimum but possibly Gen2. I’m doing an extensive annual and taking care of details in preparation for sale. Will be a great bird mechanically. 
David

I flew Dave’s airplane around for a couple months while we were working on mine. I can tell you that it is probably the fastest C model out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, M20Doc said:

My understanding is that an FAA issued STC would be acceptable for us in Canada.  One exception that I was aware of was an Australian STC which had an FAA STC issued based on the Aussie one.  Neither was acceptable in Canada until Transport did a complete review.

An FAA 337 block 3 sign off is not acceptable on a Canadian airplane, unless it was done before importation to Canada.

Clarence

This is an example of bureaucratic weenie wag at its finest

On 12/7/2018 at 6:56 PM, Sabremech said:

Yes, there are coal flaps and they will connect to the existing linkage.

So what does that do for us many C owners with factory fixed flaps? There is no lonkage to connect to, and no control in the cockpit to move the linkage that isn't there . . . .

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

So what does that do for us many C owners with factory fixed flaps? There is no lonkage to connect to, and no control in the cockpit to move the linkage that isn't there . . . .

Should be able fix them in the same position that the stock flaps are in. 

David

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

But he’d gain some useful load, cruise speed and range!  Some would say a worthwhile trade

Clarence

But he'd have to wait for the gas wagon to catch up at each stop :-) Kinda like Patton over running his supply lines.

Conspicuously missing is any reference to us "D" models. The red headed step child of the Mooney world. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Hank said:

27 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Should be able fix them in the same position that the stock flaps are in. 

David

When doing a mod this major, I'd try to use opportunity to install movable flaps.  Their removal was one of the not so great changes on the '68 and later - no effect on speed but worsened cooling in an already crappy cowl design.  My motivation for the change is cooling > speed > looks, so it would have to meet the first goal.  I wonder if retrofit of movable cowl flaps can be included in the STC without much difficulty.

8 minutes ago, DXB said:

When doing a mod this major, I'd try to use opportunity to install movable flaps.  Their removal was one of the not so great changes on the '68 and later - no effect on speed but worsened cooling in an already crappy cowl design.  My motivation for the change is cooling > speed > looks, so it would have to meet the first goal.  I wonder if retrofit of movable cowl flaps can be included in the STC without much difficulty.

It adds some complexity and cost but wouldn’t be to difficult since it was on earlier models. I’d actually like to remove the cowl flaps like many of the new aircraft today, but that would require a lot of testing to confirm the data for the FAA. I don’t have the patience for that.

David

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 7:05 PM, David_H said:

...just needs exotic cowl plugs now. :lol: Nature inspired design?

Looks to me like it was inspired by the late great Studebaker Bullet nose.  I’m trying to imagine the “natural inspiration” to which you’re referring. Those three large protrusions would give new meaning to the term “Gross Anatomy”.

81202691-CCB1-4D92-A96C-AF2812D90CF8.jpeg

Edited by Shadrach
  • Haha 1