SabreCowl Gen2 preview

Sabremech

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

But he'd have to wait for the gas wagon to catch up at each stop :-) Kinda like Patton over running his supply lines.

Conspicuously missing is any reference to us "D" models. The red headed step child of the Mooney world. 

Yes, but when you start with 130 gallons from birth all is good.

Clarence

Back to the topic I side tracked. Here’s the profile side view. Might be difficult to really gauge the difference, but it is a fair amount more sloped as the carb airbox hits the lower cowl preventing me from fitting it completely right now. 

David

4BFA55AC-61F6-4C06-B7D1-155B2C7F798C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, Hank said:

That is true for all of our engines any more . . . .  :(

They are totally disproportionate to their value.  For 30 grand Lycoming can’t even make the paint stick, let alone provide a decent warranty.

Clarence 

16 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Back to the topic I side tracked. Here’s the profile side view. Might be difficult to really gauge the difference, but it is a fair amount more sloped as the carb airbox hits the lower cowl preventing me from fitting it completely right now. 

David

Could I talk you into doing a nose bowl for my 400?

Clarence

23 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

David

Thanks David. Certainly lower profile than any vintage cowl and probably moreso than a stock J.  I’m really excited about this. I thought the Gen 1 looked pretty sweet but thought the drag reduction would be modest. This looks like it might compare with the lopresti cowl in terms of drag. Will be following your progress closely. Looks great so far.

9 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I bought an aftermarket version, but the workmanship is lacking.  Certainly nothing like what you’re producing.

Clarence

Having one to work off of would make it much easier. Let me know if you’d like to talk about it further. Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a lot of work to bring this project to completion going on. I’m currently working on the baffling, induction system and plenum for the E and F models. The plenum will be cam-locked for ease of removal. In the photos is the plenum being fit to the new baffling. It saved some time from making one from scratch but I’m having to cut it up quite a bit to get the fit I want. The front of the plenum will be cut and modified to clear the air filter inside the left air inlet. 

Thanks,

David

BBF19C5E-A2DC-4280-98B2-5AF2F32B306C.jpeg

43F794DB-21A5-4838-A5FE-1B4434F77CDE.jpeg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

There’s a lot of work to bring this project to completion going on. I’m currently working on the baffling, induction system and plenum for the E and F models. The plenum will be cam-locked for ease of removal. In the photos is the plenum being fit to the new baffling. It saved some time from making one from scratch but I’m having to cut it up quite a bit to get the fit I want. The front of the plenum will be cut and modified to clear the air filter inside the left air inlet. 

Thanks,

David

Just because I’m lazy... is this cowl going to require the air filter to be moved? Or what other modifications will be required?

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

That sheet metal is so shiny that it looks like you have @M20Doc  8 cylinder engine on the stand.

Pritch

• Like 1