SabreCowl Gen2 preview

Sabremech

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

The shape of the air filter versus the shape of the cylinder cooling inlet really doesn’t matter. My previous version of cowling mod has a square filter with the round inlets and being located inside the pressurized cowling loses very little MP. 

My cowling will not have provisions for ram air. Cost benefit led me to not install it as part of the new cowling. 

I do believe the cowling will fit the C through J models with no modifications to the cowling itself, but some modifications to components under the cowling, mostly on the C and G models. 

Thanks,

David

Bless you sir.  Please keep us posted.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

It is difficult to tell from the photos. Is there a provision for cowl flaps? If so, will they connect to the existing linkages on the J?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there are coal flaps and they will connect to the existing linkage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I’m finally able to put a few pictures of the SabreCowl Gen2 project out there. This is a complete cowling unlike the previous version that I modified the original cowling. The intent is for this cowling to be an FAA/PMA replacement for the J models and an STC for the C, E, F, and G models. 

David

02759F76-1AB4-494A-88AE-CC4B398240C2.jpeg

4132C88F-02F9-4EF2-8C8C-787DA677A5DB.jpeg

...just needs exotic cowl plugs now. :lol: Nature inspired design?

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Bummer, mine is already heavily modified to accommodate the turbo intake and baffles to allow pressurization of the intake. 

I’d need to see some pictures of your induction system and turbo setup in order to gauge whether my cowling could fit.

3 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Dave,

I might make a suggestion:  You might make the air inlets larger which would accommodate at turbonormalizer.  The inlet could be then decreased with a fiberglass insert wet mounted so it is properly bonded when customer is not interested in a turbo.  With RayJay back in business, there may be turbonormalized options on the horizon.  The air intakes on the Lopresti cowling are too small to accommodate a turbo (think Acclaim v. Ovation inlets).  Just a thought which might leave options open to give some unexpected utility to the fleet.  I like the shape of the cowling.  Hope the silhouette is as streamlined.

John Breda

Hi John, 

My inlets are sized to the same area as a J cowling and not the small inlets like the LoPresti. I would think that would be sufficient for a turbo as I don’t believe the J required larger air inlets to install a turbo. Does this sound correct? I don’t have any Mooney turbo experience. 

Thanks,

David

22 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

David,

what type of fasteners will you be using on the sides and behind the propeller spinner?

Clarence

Hi Clarence,

Camlocs down the sides and a couple of screws into nutplates next to the spinner.

David

11 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Ned, we will work to get this on your Canadian bird. Will be another learning experience working with Transport Canada.

Thanks,

If you run out of learning experiences, I can hook you up with the Australian Mooney Pilots Association and Im sure a round or 2 with CASA (a somewhat inefficient version of our well oiled FAA) will provide you with a rounded bureaucratic education! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

David,

Yes, the J model size inlets will work fine.  There is no cooling issues with a J model cowling, however cowling modifications to the J model cowling include side louvers and a center fixed cowl outlet just in front of the nose gear.  Those could be put on after the fact if anyone was doing the conversion.

John Breda

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Doesn't the US Canada reciprocal agreements automagically approve STCs and PMAs between our two countries?

Cyril: 

I am not sure. 337s are completely verbotten, but @M20Doc (Clarence) will probably know.

1 hour ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Doesn't the US Canada reciprocal agreements automagically approve STCs and PMAs between our two countries?

Not exactly. The US will accept Canadian STC without question, but Canada doesn’t automatically accept US STC’s. It’s not really reciprocal and I’m quite disappointed in our gov’t for negotiating it this way. 

David

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So if I plan on getting my J painted in late 2019 or early 2020, will this be (hopefully) available? I have the typical J cracks along the top of the cowl and need some repair work done on the right side nose, so I can rationalize the cost of this to the CFO. ;)

16 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

So if I plan on getting my J painted in late 2019 or early 2020, will this be (hopefully) available? I have the typical J cracks along the top of the cowl and need some repair work done on the right side nose, so I can rationalize the cost of this to the CFO. ;)

It’s entirely possible for the PMA to be complete in your timeframe. 

• Like 1

For the J models, would it be practical to include a non-ram-air version in the STC/PMA for those of us who've deleted the ram air?

Probably not too big of a deal but it would save plastering over the hole prior to installation.

Edited by EricJ

13 minutes ago, EricJ said:

For the J models, would it be practical to include a non-ram-air version in the STC/PMA for those of us who've deleted the ram air?

Probably not too big of a deal but it would save plastering over the hole prior to installation.

My PMA cowling for the J will not have ram air. That’s not to say that it can’t be added, but I’m not initially planning on it.

Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

It’s entirely possible for the PMA to be complete in your timeframe. 

What about the C/G model version, which sounds a bit more complex?  I'm really hoping to do your mod via a local shop around 2021 when I expect the engine will need to come off for overhaul -seems like the best time for it.  

You are obviously very committed to this project, and I'm sure your detail-oriented Gen1 experience will accelerate development of Gen 2, but the gov't has a way of destroying the best laid plans...

3 minutes ago, DXB said:

What about the C/G model version, which sounds a bit more complex?  I'm really hoping to do your mod via a local shop around 2021 when I expect the engine will need to come off for overhaul -seems like the best time for it.  

You are obviously very committed to this project, and I'm sure your detail-oriented Gen1 experience will accelerate development of Gen 2, but the gov't has a way of destroying the best laid plans...

The C, E, F, & G models will all be covered under an STC. The PMA for the J will be the less complicated part and will actually help the STC by using a PMA’d cowling as the biggest part of it. 

Thanks,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1