SabreCowl Gen2 preview

Sabremech

I’m finally able to put a few pictures of the SabreCowl Gen2 project out there. This is a complete cowling unlike the previous version that I modified the original cowling. The intent is for this cowling to be an FAA/PMA replacement for the J models and an STC for the C, E, F, and G models. 

David

02759F76-1AB4-494A-88AE-CC4B398240C2.jpeg

4132C88F-02F9-4EF2-8C8C-787DA677A5DB.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, rbridges said:

That looks cool. Got any pics of it on the plane?

My mission today was to test fit the cowling on my C model to see if I had any interference issues that might require a change in the cowling. The cowling is not finished to the point that molds could be made. I do have an issue with my carb air box that I thought might not clear and I was right. I’ll need to come up with another new design carb air box for the C & G models. So, unfortunately no pictures of both halves on my airplane yet. 

Thanks,

David

1 minute ago, Sabremech said:

My mission today was to test fit the cowling on my C model to see if I had any interference issues that might require a change in the cowling. The cowling is not finished to the point that molds could be made. I do have an issue with my carb air box that I thought might not clear and I was right. I’ll need to come up with another new design carb air box for the C & G models. So, unfortunately no pictures of both halves on my airplane yet. 

Thanks,

David

was wondering if you were going to have to find/make a new carb heat box for the new cowl design.

Brian

26 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Thanks,

David

They had to make a new carb heat box for mine when the 201 cowl was added.  

• Like 1

Will the gen2 fit all models J and below or are modifications in order?  My thinking is if it is somewhat economical to produce it could revolutionize and modernize a lot of the fleet.  That Lopresti cowl is very cost prohibitive. 

Will the gen2 fit all models J and below or are modifications in order?  My thinking is if it is somewhat economical to produce it could revolutionize and modernize a lot of the fleet.  That Lopresti cowl is very cost prohibitive. 

Good ?, because some Js don’t have ram air.
Js cooling ports are more rectangular, which makes sense since the air intake/filter is rectangular, given the round peg, square hole problem, either you’re going to be blocking the intake or the round holes will be oversized.

2 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Js cooling ports are more rectangular, which makes sense since the air intake/filter is rectangular, given the round peg, square hole problem, either you’re going to be blocking the intake or the round holes will be oversized.

Would it make a difference round or square? Ultimately it would be the design that is the most streamlined and produces the highest pressure in the top of the cowl. Just my two cents but I’m not an aeronautical engineeer. 

8 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If you buy Lopresti, don’t you get ram air whether you had it or not?

22 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

The shape of the air filter versus the shape of the cylinder cooling inlet really doesn’t matter. My previous version of cowling mod has a square filter with the round inlets and being located inside the pressurized cowling loses very little MP. 

My cowling will not have provisions for ram air. Cost benefit led me to not install it as part of the new cowling. 

51 minutes ago, INA201 said:

I do believe the cowling will fit the C through J models with no modifications to the cowling itself, but some modifications to components under the cowling, mostly on the C and G models. 

Thanks,

David

9 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

The shape of the air filter versus the shape of the cylinder cooling inlet really doesn’t matter. My previous version of cowling mod has a square filter with the round inlets and being located inside the pressurized cowling loses very little MP. 

My cowling will not have provisions for ram air. Cost benefit led me to not install it as part of the new cowling. 

I do believe the cowling will fit the C through J models with no modifications to the cowling itself, but some modifications to components under the cowling, mostly on the C and G models. 

Thanks,

David

David

That is impressive.  Would love to update my old E.  Are you still doing the basic cowl mod or is this a new direction for the product line?  Also, I’m curious....why the STC for the older models, while the J can be purely PMA?  It is actually a positive direction for the FAA...I have experienced this on some of my stuff too...but it would be really cool if they would go PMA on the older models too.

1 hour ago, DXB said:

@Sabremech Looks amazing but does this mean you are abandoning pursuit of STC for the gen 1 cowl for the C?  

The Gen 1 cowl would only fit 66 and up C, E, F & G models and left me struggling with a solution for the pre 66 models. I had also been approached to come up with a replacement for the old fiberglass cowlings on the J’s. 

The issue with the older models and the J cowling request plus the fact that the original cowling mod was very labor intensive lead me to move on to the new Gen 2 complete cowling. The labor hours are reduced quite a bit over the old mod plus I can sculpt the new cowling versus just compromising. 

So, yes, I won’t be doing any more of the gen 1 modifications. I did gather some very invaluable data such as the size of the cooling air inlets. They need to be 5.75 inch diameter ( which is almost the identical area of the J air inlets) for the 4 cylinder Lycoming engines to get consistent cooling temps across the models and the unique performance each individual engine has. 

This new cowling is planned to fit all year models of the C through J’s. It should also fit B models but I don’t anticipate there being a real demand from B owners, but I could be surprised. This will replace the Gen 1 modification.

1 hour ago, takair said:

David

That is impressive.  Would love to update my old E.  Are you still doing the basic cowl mod or is this a new direction for the product line?  Also, I’m curious....why the STC for the older models, while the J can be purely PMA?  It is actually a positive direction for the FAA...I have experienced this on some of my stuff too...but it would be really cool if they would go PMA on the older models too.

The new cowling should be pretty straight forward as a PMA with the cowling being the only parts changed. The older models will require an STC because I’m modifying the induction system and the cooling system with the baffling. 

I’d like it to be easier too, but I know that won’t happen. 

Thanks

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 1

Dave,

I might make a suggestion:  You might make the air inlets larger which would accommodate at turbonormalizer.  The inlet could be then decreased with a fiberglass insert wet mounted so it is properly bonded when customer is not interested in a turbo.  With RayJay back in business, there may be turbonormalized options on the horizon.  The air intakes on the Lopresti cowling are too small to accommodate a turbo (think Acclaim v. Ovation inlets).  Just a thought which might leave options open to give some unexpected utility to the fleet.  I like the shape of the cowling.  Hope the silhouette is as streamlined.

John Breda

• Like 4