Registration

KLRDMD

Massachusetts:

based on max certified takeoff weight

0-2000 lbs. - $100

2001-3500 - $165 (for me)

3501-12,500 - $230

Over 12,000 - $300

There are Use and Sales taxes on the books but in 2002 full exemptions were made for aircraft in both cases.  A positive.

Oregon is $65 for single-engine props per year.   I'm fine with that since Oregon runs a large number of state-owned airports to encourage aviation, and part of that funds CAP costs.

There is no pilot registration fee anymore, though.  Do other states have pilot registration fees?

Virginia - $5 annual registration fee, but then they zap you with an annual personal property tax based on "their" interpretation of the value of the plane.  Roughly $240 for me last year...and I'm not even a VA state resident.  No exemptions on aircraft or boats for military, non-residents either.....  :angry:

Brian

Here in CA it's the damn DMV fees that really are outrageous. Just got a renewal for my 2002 Yamaha fz1 for 123 dollars. Really for a motorcycle. Used to be as they get older the cost would go down. Doesn't seem to be the case any more.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, flight2000 said:

Virginia - $5 annual registration fee, but then they zap you with an annual personal property tax based on "their" interpretation of the value of the plane.  Roughly $240 for me last year...and I'm not even a VA state resident.  No exemptions on aircraft or boats for military, non-residents either.....  :angry:

Brian

How is VA going to tax you if you’re a non-resident? I’m military as well and wouldn’t pay it if I’m not a resident of VA. Guess I’ll cross Virginia off my assignments list. 

3 minutes ago, daytonabch04 said:

How is VA going to tax you if you’re a non-resident? I’m military as well and wouldn’t pay it if I’m not a resident of VA. Guess I’ll cross Virginia off my assignments list. 

I have no idea how they did it, but it's there.  They base it on where the aircraft is located, so if you want to keep it in Maryland or NC, you can do that to avoid the VA taxes.  Cheaper to pay up front than to pay the fines for not paying. 

Had to pay the sales and use tax as well as soon as I brought the plane in (2% of the FMV if you owned for more than 6 months and move into the state).  If you paid it to a previous state that required it, they at least give you credit for it.

Military is exempt from the vehicle taxes, but not much else.....guess they figure if you can afford a plane, you can pay the taxes for them.  :(

https://tax.virginia.gov/aircraft-and-watercraft

http://www.doav.virginia.gov/licensing_aircraft.htm

I would have loved to avoid D.C. and I'm trying to escape as soon as possible, but at this point in my career, the only option I really have is retirement and that is a minimum of 3 years away.  Don't get much say at the O6 level...they gotcha and they know it... :wacko:

Cheers,

Brian

21 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

I have no idea how they did it, but it's there.  They base it on where the aircraft is located, so if you want to keep it in Maryland or NC, you can do that to avoid the VA taxes.  Cheaper to pay up front than to pay the fines for not paying. 

Had to pay the sales and use tax as well as soon as I brought the plane in (2% of the FMV if you owned for more than 6 months and move into the state).  If you paid it to a previous state that required it, they at least give you credit for it.

Military is exempt from the vehicle taxes, but not much else.....guess they figure if you can afford a plane, you can pay the taxes for them.  :(

https://tax.virginia.gov/aircraft-and-watercraft

http://www.doav.virginia.gov/licensing_aircraft.htm

I would have loved to avoid D.C. and I'm trying to escape as soon as possible, but at this point in my career, the only option I really have is retirement and that is a minimum of 3 years away.  Don't get much say at the O6 level...they gotcha and they know it... :wacko:

Cheers,

Brian

Interesting. I just purchased my plane several months ago and brought it to TX where I am a resident. Texas is exempt from sales tax due to occasional sale and have the state form signed by both parties if asked. I have no intention to pay sales tax to another state if I move after a state where I was exempt. I wonder how VA looks at that. No use tax either. 

I’m at the O4 level so I have a few more options on my list  B) Guess I’ll try to avoid VA as much as possible  

NC as well, probably all states don’t care of your residency, it’s the location of the plane that counts. States need money, they are aggressively trying to get more.