When should I change the oil?

thomas1142

On 12/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, M20Doc said:

They are working at a loss on that job.

Clarence

On 12/11/2018 at 11:12 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm sure you are correct. I tell JD all the time, I'd rather pay more and have him stay in  business for a long time, rather than save a few bucks and lose the service altogether from them going under. And to that end, I often over pay the invoice for work he does for me. 

Or it is about customer retention knowing they will make up for it by having the plane come back in for other work. We offer a 3-pack for oil changes at a discounted rate at our dealerships. If the customer only has the oil change done we lose money on every single one. It doesn't even cover the cost of the filter and oil, to say nothing of the labor to the mechanic. However, it does keep the customer coming back, we consistently are higher than the other dealerships in the region for customer retention, and the shops are profitable.

On 12/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, jaylw314 said:

a ratcheting 1" box wrench is the bomb when it comes to loosening and tightening.  It can be hard to maneuver your fingers around the filter to spin it on and off.

I bought this wrench, it is great and have never had a problem getting a filter off.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBDW6G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 12/11/2018 at 2:45 PM, DonMuncy said:

Poured in the fresh oil and set out the empty oil containers to drain, since I don't like waiting for the length of time it takes to completely drain the quart containers, and I'm too much of a CB to toss them with a tablespoonful or so of oil remaining in each one. 

I do the same thing and will take the bottles home with me. I set one up in the garage with a small funnel and an "empty" one draining in. Every few hours, or days I will throw that one out and put another to drain. I find that out of 7 empty quarts I usually get about 1/3 of a quart or so in the bottle when I am done. Too much to throw away. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I do the same thing and will take the bottles home with me. I set one up in the garage with a small funnel and an "empty" one draining in. Every few hours, or days I will throw that one out and put another to drain. I find that out of 7 empty quarts I usually get about 1/3 of a quart or so in the bottle when I am done. Too much to throw away. :)

After 3 oil changes, that's a whole quart, and that's like real money!

14 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

After 3 oil changes, that's a whole quart, and that's like real money!

13 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

All of $5

Yep, just $5, but it doesn't cost me anything to do it or really take any time. Just whenever I walk into the garage I swap out a bottle to drain.

• Like 1

I’ll add another twist to the oil retriever.  While it’s great to collect the new clean oil.  What do you guys do with the empty plastic oil containers?  Trash or recycle?

Clarence

I’ll add another twist to the oil retriever.  While it’s great to collect the new clean oil.  What do you guys do with the empty plastic oil containers?  Trash or recycle?
Clarence

I’m afraid to say that mine wind up in the FBO dumpster and that probably goes to the landfill. But I make a run to the recycling collection lot with corrugated regularly so I can hold the oil bottles for then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I used to use them to recycle old oil.  The curbside recycling wanted them in plastic bottles, so it worked out well.

Now, though, there's an oil recycling bin at my home airport, I've been throwing away the bottles (they absolutely cannot be recycled unless washed completely free of petroleum-based residue).  For that matter, I've been having to throw away the cardboard box they come in, too, because there's usually some amount of oil contamination.