When should I change the oil?

thomas1142

After flying around for half an hour to warm up the oil, I can do the actual change in a couple of hours or less, not counting inspecting the filter media. This includes removing the cowing, draining the oil and collecting a sample, R&R oil filter + safety wire, add new oil, pull it out of the hangar and do a leak check, then put it back in the hangar and replace the cowling. Of course, I usually find some other useful things to do in the engine compartment while I have the cowlings off.

I have a couple of tricks to make it easier on my M20J. First, I buy a cheap painter's tarp (paper on one side, plastic on the other) and cut it into smaller pieces (about 4' square). I roll the nose wheel over this so it is under the engine. Makes cleanup a breeze. I have two rubber tie down straps with S hooks on the ends. After removing the top cowl, I hook these over the pushrod tubes on one end and catch a camloc socket on the lower cowl with the other end -- one on each side. This way, I can unfasten the lower cowl and it hangs by the straps. Then I support it from underneath with one hand while unhooking it from the straps with the other. Reinstalling is the reverse. Easy for one person.

After changing the engine to an A3B6, the oil filter is much closer to the firewall. I'm still trying to figure out a combination of wrench parts that will let me get a torque wrench on it. Anyone found something that works?

Skip

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I have two rubber tie down straps with S hooks on the ends. After removing the top cowl, I hook these over the pushrod tubes on one end and catch a camloc socket on the lower cowl with the other end -- one on each side. This way, I can unfasten the lower cowl and it hangs by the straps. Then I support it from underneath with one hand while unhooking it from the straps with the other. Reinstalling is the reverse. Easy for one person.

I use a similar system. I have a roll-around stool that is a perfect fit a few inches under the cowl. I can loosen all the camlocks and drop the cowl down onto the stool. Replacing, I use coat hanger wires in the same way you use bungees. But I say it is doable by one person, not necessarily easy.

3 hours ago, PT20J said:

After flying around for half an hour to warm up the oil, I can do the actual change in a couple of hours or less, not counting inspecting the filter media. This includes removing the cowing, draining the oil and collecting a sample, R&R oil filter + safety wire, add new oil, pull it out of the hangar and do a leak check, then put it back in the hangar and replace the cowling. Of course, I usually find some other useful things to do in the engine compartment while I have the cowlings off.

I have a couple of tricks to make it easier on my M20J. First, I buy a cheap painter's tarp (paper on one side, plastic on the other) and cut it into smaller pieces (about 4' square). I roll the nose wheel over this so it is under the engine. Makes cleanup a breeze. I have two rubber tie down straps with S hooks on the ends. After removing the top cowl, I hook these over the pushrod tubes on one end and catch a camloc socket on the lower cowl with the other end -- one on each side. This way, I can unfasten the lower cowl and it hangs by the straps. Then I support it from underneath with one hand while unhooking it from the straps with the other. Reinstalling is the reverse. Easy for one person.

After changing the engine to an A3B6, the oil filter is much closer to the firewall. I'm still trying to figure out a combination of wrench parts that will let me get a torque wrench on it. Anyone found something that works?

Skip

Gasket contact plus 3/4 turn is the same. no special tools required.

10 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

The filter is no closer to the firewall, but it will move to the center of the engine.  I’ve managed to fit long filters on all Lycoming powered Mooney’s and still use a torque wrench.

Clarence

I change the oil & filter every 40 hrs which gives me a 10 hour buffer if needed. Oil is cheap compared to the parts it protects. Personally I see no point in waiting hours or even days for the oil to drain, warm the oil up either by idling, taxi or flight, warm oil drains better and it suspends the byproducts so they flow out with the oil. 

42 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I change the oil & filter every 40 hrs which gives me a 10 hour buffer if needed.

I take a somewhat opposite view:  If the manufacturer recommends changing the oil at 50 hours, it means you can easily go 100 hours without ill effects.  I therefore go with 50 and will not worry if I go 55 hours before doing the oil change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I take a somewhat opposite view:  If the manufacturer recommends changing the oil at 50 hours, it means you can easily go 100 hours without ill effects.  I therefore go with 50 and will not worry if I go 55 hours before doing the oil change.

im not sure what data says 100 hours on the oil is safe, but I dont think the oil goes poof at 54 hours.  But it isnt logical to arbitrarily double something and assume its ok. A Piper Cherokee in the Utility category is rated to +4.4 G's, but you cant just say well its good to 8.8 G.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

@thomas1142

There are not a lot of tools required to DIY an oil change but you'll need:

I've added a few additional items

• filter cutting tool
  • filter clamp/wrench for stubborn filters similar to pic which works great with a breaker bar
  •  

53100c1_2E396637A07FA__02536.1531579739.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

If you do not have any of these I suppose you would save enough to cover the cost in a oil change or 3. Assuming your time is free in exchange for the satisfaction and a more intimate relationship with your Mooney.

16 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

Crow's foot should work.

16 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

12-01676.jpg

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/1201676.php

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Would agree with @DonMuncy.  I like doing to myself, also, to know my plane.  Spend most of this past Saturday replacing all three tubes and tires.

I pull up and shut down in front of my mechanic's shop. I go in, grab a cup off coffee and enjoy looking over the engine while my A&P changes the oil. This is my way of getting to know my plane! 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, gsxrpilot said:

SWTA charges me 1 hour for an oil change. And that includes going down to my hangar, pulling the plane out and up to their shop. Then putting it back when they're finished.

I would easily pay that - even more if he was on my field.  Currently, there is no A&P that does regular work based at my field.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 6:59 AM, gsxrpilot said:

SWTA charges me 1 hour for an oil change. And that includes going down to my hangar, pulling the plane out and up to their shop. Then putting it back when they're finished.

They are working at a loss on that job.

Clarence

1 minute ago, neilpilot said:

unless they severely mark up the oil, filter, shop supplies, etc.

Good point, there is no free lunch.  To stay in business they have to make it somewhere.

Clarence

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, jetdriven said:

you only need a 1" box end wrench.

a ratcheting 1" box wrench is the bomb when it comes to loosening and tightening.  It can be hard to maneuver your fingers around the filter to spin it on and off.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

They are working at a loss on that job.

I'm sure you are correct. I tell JD all the time, I'd rather pay more and have him stay in  business for a long time, rather than save a few bucks and lose the service altogether from them going under. And to that end, I often over pay the invoice for work he does for me. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, neilpilot said:

My service manual says I should change the oil every 50 hours.  Does that mean that I should NOT change the oil at 35 hours.  What about 49 or 51 hours.

My Mooney Service Manual also says to remove and clean the oil pump suction screen at each change.  I wonder how many owners follow this advice.

My point is that someone who changes the oil filter at 50 hours but also chooses to change oil at say 25 hours (without a new filter) isn't necessarily out of compliance relative to the Mooney Service Manual.

I'll plead stupid on this one.  I've had my mooney for 7 years and did not know about the screen until 2 months ago after someone mentioned it on this forum.  Anyway, my IA took the screen out at my last annual and found stuff in it.  He said it looked like it hadn't been checked in quite a while.  So , we're going to check it again next time.  Honestly, it looks like a PITA to check, and I'm wondering how many people do it every time.

28 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I'll plead stupid on this one.  I've had my mooney for 7 years and did not know about the screen until 2 months ago after someone mentioned it on this forum.  Anyway, my IA took the screen out at my last annual and found stuff in it.  He said it looked like it hadn't been checked in quite a while.  So , we're going to check it again next time.  Honestly, it looks like a PITA to check, and I'm wondering how many people do it every time.

I’m surprised it took your IA seven years to know that there’s one there. 

59 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I’m surprised it took your IA seven years to know that there’s one there. 

Haha.  I'd be upset, too, but this was his first year with my plane.  I've had a local guy doing it previously, and I went to someone else last year.