When should I change the oil?

thomas1142

By the time I get back home my M20J will have been sitting for over six weeks. I meant to change the oil, 30+ hrs since last oil change, be fore I left. 

My question is, should I change the oil before I fly it again or fly it and then change the oil?

Also anybody in the around the panhandle of Florida that can “toutor” me on doing an oil change, never did before.

Seems like most folks including me change it around 30.  Others will go up to 50 which is the POH recommendation I believe. Most people also recommend 4 months in between changes if the 30 or 50 hours is not met by then.  It’s kind of fun to me to change my own oil you just will need someone to help with the cowling.  I use this to drain the filter oil to avoid dripping everywhere. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B003V9JWHO/ref=asc_df_B003V9JWHO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061979255&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3189166949996012076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010454&hvtargid=pla-569644129141&psc=1

It is always a good idea to drain the oil when it is hot and stirred up. The best way to do that is to fly it until the oil temp stabilizes. 

You can go 50 hours on an oil change. If you go a bit over once in a while it won’t hurt anything, just don’t make a habit out of it.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

4 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

By the time I get back home my M20J will have been sitting for over six weeks. I meant to change the oil, 30+ hrs since last oil change, be fore I left. 

My question is, should I change the oil before I fly it again or fly it and then change the oil?

Also anybody in the around the panhandle of Florida that can “toutor” me on doing an oil change, never did before.

as noted above, fly first anyway to warm the oil up before changing the oil

In the future, some might suggest changing the oil before a long hiatus to ensure there is no accumulation of water or acid beforehand, but my guess is if you asked people how long a hiatus before doing that, the responses will be between 1-3 months...

8 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

I would drain the oil overnight and service with new oil and filter. I don't see the need to fly it first. It has been sitting for six weeks and has drained into the sump. Flying it would recirculate the old oil throughout the engine. 

• Like 1

I can’t imagine changing the oil just after flight. Dunno about you guys, but my engine gets hot! If I do an oil change this winter (it’s been 30 hours since the last oil change) I’ll probanly hire it out. I loathe having a mechanic do something I can do for myself, but their hangar is heated. Mine isn’t.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, m20kmooney said:

I would drain the oil overnight and service with new oil and filter. I don't see the need to fly it first. It has been sitting for six weeks and has drained into the sump. Flying it would recirculate the old oil throughout the engine. 

One week or longer after the last shutdown I drain the oil and replace the filter to insure no old oil in the upper parts of  the engine. After I drain the oil I add one gallon of AVGAS into the sump to mix  with the old oil residue in the sump. After 15 minutes I drain the AVGAS which shows a mix of oil and gas initially but clear AVGAS at the end of draining. After this I add 8qts of oil. With this procedure I get clear oil on the dipstick for about 40 hrs.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

One week or longer after the last shutdown I drain the oil and replace the filter to insure no old oil in the upper parts of  the engine. After I drain the oil I add one gallon of AVGAS into the sump to mix  with the old oil residue in the sump. After 15 minutes I drain the AVGAS which shows a mix of oil and gas initially but clear AVGAS at the end of draining. After this I add 8qts of oil. With this procedure I get clear oil on the dipstick for about 40 hrs.
José

Why not use cheaper, lead free auto gas?

There are three or four reasons to change the oil...

1) Taking out all the dirty micro particles that collect in the engine oil over time...

• Filters are great for this, extending oil life...
  • Piloto gives an example of washing out all the old oil using gasoline....
  • others don’t have a filter 

2) Putting back significant oil additives that actually get used over time...

3) Taking out old broken down oil molecules

• molecular weight changes cause viscosity changes as oil breaks down...

4) OATs

• changing oil weight to match the seasonal temperature of operation.

So... If you don’t change the filter every time... what happens?

Or if you only change the oil once per year... what happens?

Is there a benefit to quarterly oil changes?

What are the costs and benefits to each option?

Either way, use caution with flammable solvents that can evaporate, and warm engines...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, Piloto said:

One week or longer after the last shutdown I drain the oil and replace the filter to insure no old oil in the upper parts of  the engine.

I could never change the oil using this regimen. It is very rare that I have one week after the last shutdown.

12 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

Would I just be wasting oil if all I did was change the oil, not the filter, and continue flying till for another 10 to  15 hours (this will give me around 50 hrs on the filter) then do a complete oil and filter change?

The Mooney Service Manual says to change the filter at each oil change.

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Mooney Service Manual says to change the filter at each oil change.

My service manual says I should change the oil every 50 hours.  Does that mean that I should NOT change the oil at 35 hours.  What about 49 or 51 hours.

My Mooney Service Manual also says to remove and clean the oil pump suction screen at each change.  I wonder how many owners follow this advice.

My point is that someone who changes the oil filter at 50 hours but also chooses to change oil at say 25 hours (without a new filter) isn't necessarily out of compliance relative to the Mooney Service Manual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

My service manual says I should change the oil every 50 hours.  Does that mean that I should NOT change the oil at 35 hours.  What about 49 or 51 hours.

My Mooney Service Manual also says to remove and clean the oil pump suction screen at each change.  I wonder how many owners follow this advice.

My point is that someone who changes the oil filter at 50 hours but also chooses to change oil at say 25 hours (without a new filter) isn't necessarily out of compliance relative to the Mooney Service Manual.

Here's the exact wording:

1808724817_ScreenShot2018-12-09at12_58_03PM.png.55d66e1ede0215665588201b29d0569e.png

Not to pull this any further off-course (although it seems to have gone that way)

Those of you who change your oil yourself... how long does it take you?

Those of you who have the shop or someone change your oil for you... how many hours labor do they charge you?

I have never timed it, but I suspect it takes about 3 hours to remove the cowl, drain the oil, remove the filter, replace and re-safety wire it, replace the cowl and fill with oil. I set the old filter in the trash can to drain for a day or two, then cut and examine it later. I would think that someone who does it all the time (and works on the clock) would be able to beat me pretty easily.